Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 09:21 PM

7 posts, read 11,509 times

Advertisements

Greetings All!

I would like to begin by thanking everyone for their thoughts, and input. I have read everyone's comments and although I dont agree with some, I do appreciate all of the opinions, advice and suggestions.

I'm a curious person by nature, so I'm sure there are those who are wondering how this little drama has turned out! :-)

First off, InterestedParty has been a friend of our family for close to fifty years. (OMG! I can't believe it's really been THAT long!) We are very grateful for their friendship and loyalty.

As it stands now, letters have been sent to both parties. To the Neighbor gently requesting that they corral the strays as best as possible, and that bedding and food are not to be placed on (and preferrably not near) our property. And to the Tenant, advising them of the contact numbers to the appropriate local agencys.

The reason for not taking more aggressive action is simple. This is a business. My personal opinions and beliefs are secondary. As a landlord, my duty is to provide a safe and functioning dwelling in exchange for a fair monthly rent. If, at some point, the Neighbors cats prevent us from offering a habitable residence, more drastic measures can and will be taken at that time. Such as: Notifying the local SPCA and/or city code/zoning office(s).

Unfortunately, here is where it becomes difficult. I need to continually remind myself this is a business. And emotions have no place in business. I am a landlord, not a therapist!

As the former Euthanasia Technician at the very same SPCA that would be involved, I know better than any one of you exactly what will happen once that call is made. It is not a touchy feely warm and fuzzy happy ending. It is a long cold needle full of bright blue Pento-Barbitol. And as far as the Neighbors personal inside pets are concerned, I couldn't care less. What someone does inside their own home is their own damn business. But I digress!

I'd like to note that since March 2011 when the current tenants moved in, we have spent in excess of $5000.00 in improvements to passify these tenants. I might mention, carpet, tile and drapes throughout, new shower/tub and vanity in the bathroom, new washer/dryer, paint throughout and landscaping were done in Nov 2010 when Dad moved out.

Hopefully, the letters that have been sent out are sufficient. For now, we are going to let sleeping cats lie, so to speak! :-) I thank you all for your comments. You have helped alot!

Thanks Again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2012, 12:10 AM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
$5000 sounds like a lot of improvements for after the move in...

Old 02-05-2012, 04:23 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Landlord - did you entertain Ultrarunner's tried and tested solution of the electric wire atop the fence? Seemed like a relatively inexpensive suggestion.

Old 02-06-2012, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
$5000 sounds like a lot of improvements for after the move in...
I had probably been 20 years since Mom & Dad had done anything to the house. So we updated and freshened it up prior to renting. The first tenants were fine. No probs. They were there for a little less than a year and actually moved out so they could buy a home in the same neighborhood. This second set of tenants is a completely different animal! She didnt like the stove because it was electric, so we put in a gas line and gas stove. She didn't like the tile in the entryway and bathroom. OK, I dont either. I thought it was ugly when Mom had it put in! Replaced that. She didnt like the color of the security bars on the front of the house, so we had the house painted. Again, it had been 20+years since the house was painted, and it did need it badly. The w/d were bought in the 70s!, she has 3 children, so we replaced those as well. Even though it is not in the rental contract or required by law, I'm a Mom too and I know how hard it is without a w/d in the home. But I am beginnning to think that this tenant has made the grave error or mistaking kindness for weakness.

Old 02-06-2012, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Landlord - did you entertain Ultrarunner's tried and tested solution of the electric wire atop the fence? Seemed like a relatively inexpensive suggestion.
1) There is no fence/wall to install a hotwire on.
2) This is a densely populated residential area.
3) Within the city limits, I would imagine this is illegal. And if its not, it should be!
4) Why would you want to hurt someone? Sounds pretty mean to me!

Old 02-06-2012, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landlord93906 View Post
she has 3 children, so we replaced those as well .. But I am beginnning to think that this tenant has made the grave error or mistaking kindness for weakness.
Was she mad that you replaced the children? Thanks for my morning chuckle which I was thinking I wasn't going to get!

Wow, you really went to town for these people. They sound quite the ingrates.

Old 02-06-2012, 06:37 AM

Quote:
1) There is no fence/wall to install a hotwire on.
2) This is a densely populated residential area.
3) Within the city limits, I would imagine this is illegal. And if its not, it should be!
4) Why would you want to hurt someone? Sounds pretty mean to me!
I wasn't thinking of hurting someone! It seemed from Ultrarunner's description ("I checked with the city to see if I was allowed to put up a hot wire on my side of the fence... city said yes. A hot wire sends an electric pulse along a wire to deter livestock and the one I bought has a small solar panel to keep the battery charged. The next weekend I spent $65 and put up the wire... never saw or had a complaint about cats in the yard again") that this was something simple which he successfully used as a deterrent for cats jumping over a fence, similar to the "invisible" fences which dog owners install in an unfenced area to prevent their animal(s) from wandering. Since it seems now that you don't have a fence then it's a moot point.

Old 02-06-2012, 11:00 AM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
The fence charger sends an electric pulse that is similar to static electricity... designed to be non-lethal or harmful... only a deterrent.

Without an existing fence... the only other option would be to put up one... which I'm sure would prove to costly... even the portable kind for sheep would still require stakes and the metal fabric to be effective.

I will say you are much more accommodating that I am... maybe, it is required in your market?

As a rule... I no longer supply any free standing appliances... found very early on that almost half my service calls and the majority of the emergency calls to be appliance related...

My local Housing Authority allows the owner $2 a month rent for stoves and refrigerators and nothing for washer/dryer...

Moms Dryer is circa 1968 Kenmore... they built some really durable products back then... she still had an old Philco Refrigerator in the garage that gets used a few months every summer the my Great Grandmother bought in 1954.

I rarely, as in almost never, make any aesthetic changes at a tenant's request and I have had some far out requests... like painting a bathroom Black...

Maintenance is a different story... paint, roof, etc... need to be kept in good condition to stave off problems down the road...

Old 02-06-2012, 11:57 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
Quote:
I had probably been 20 years since Mom & Dad had done anything to the house. So we updated and freshened it up prior to renting. The first tenants were fine. No probs. They were there for a little less than a year and actually moved out so they could buy a home in the same neighborhood. This second set of tenants is a completely different animal! She didnt like the stove because it was electric, so we put in a gas line and gas stove. She didn't like the tile in the entryway and bathroom. OK, I dont either. I thought it was ugly when Mom had it put in! Replaced that. She didnt like the color of the security bars on the front of the house, so we had the house painted. Again, it had been 20+years since the house was painted, and it did need it badly. The w/d were bought in the 70s!, she has 3 children, so we replaced those as well. Even though it is not in the rental contract or required by law, I'm a Mom too and I know how hard it is without a w/d in the home. But I am beginnning to think that this tenant has made the grave error or mistaking kindness for weakness.
It seems well past the point where you should draw the line at making improvements that are requested by the tenant. You are obligated to provide a habitable dwelling, not redecorate it to meet their personal tastes. If the tenant wanted a gas stove I would insist that they pay for at least part of that cost. Same with the tile and painting. You are going to loose money on this tenant if these things continue, if you haven't already.

Old 02-11-2012, 05:24 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
Quote:
You are right about the demands, I would have left it at "take it or leave it" after all, she was not negotiating buying the home, just renting. When a person places a house on the market for renting, I think it is in "as in condition". And things like changing from electric stove to gas is not something I would consider, nor would I replace tile, or even paint the house. I think you were wrong to do so, and you are paying the price w/ a demanding tenant. I certainly hope that you adjusted the rent you charge accordingly.

Those things like painting might be done as maintenance, but certainly not as a response to a demand, especially from a new renter that has not proven historically that they are responsible, paid on time etc. I might consider washer/dryer as a reward after the renter has proven to be an asset herself. I do not however think that these issues are the same as complaining about a cat hoarder neighbor, and the health and sanitation problems that involves.

I still maintain that your renter needs to call and complain to the health department, the law enforcement or to senior services if the elderly woman needs some assistance. Which it sounds like she does. Or the tenant should place a call to animal control, or the police, which may start the process if intervention, in turn they will call the above agencies as applicable.

You're caring, and dedicated to the little old lady that you parents knew.....but even your parents recognized the issues of hoarding the cats according to your original post.

Back in the day there weren't all the "helping" agencies in force, now there are, and they should be used in this case. imo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting