Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 11:18 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,086,429 times

Advertisements

am renting in a duplex---person on other side of wall is subjecting us to a variety of strong smells---they start always on weekend and coincide with guy friends coming over(sleazy loud cycle types)----tonight it smells like drycleaning fluid,last week ammonia and a beery yeasty smell,sometimes airplane glue--- am keeping windows open on a cold feb nite---complained to ll(her bff)--response"she better not make me lose my house"---dtr thinks maybe fear of drug activity---need info and direction----still looking for an affordable handicap accessible rental(the only thing this place has going for it)--open to all suggestions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2012, 11:26 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,396,615 times
Is "ll her bff" the Landlord? the owner? he is their "best friend forever?" Their only reply was "she better not make me lose my house"?

If not, talk to the landlord/property manager or owner - whomever you pay the rent to. That would be your first course of action. Or your local police department.

Not all loud bikers are sleazy drug dealers by the way.

Old 02-03-2012, 11:41 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
She could easily be cooking Meth, which is extremely hazardous both for exposure and for risk of explosion/fire. Call your local police's non emergency number and report the strange smells.

Old 02-04-2012, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaKat View Post
Is "ll her bff" the Landlord? the owner? he is their "best friend forever?" Their only reply was "she better not make me lose my house"?

If not, talk to the landlord/property manager or owner - whomever you pay the rent to. That would be your first course of action. Or your local police department.

Not all loud bikers are sleazy drug dealers by the way.
i know having been one myself years ago--this one lives in a drug riddled low income housing and always seems to knock on the wrong door----the bff ll is the owner-----would the police just ignore my complaints of smells??????
if it is a meth lab could they tell by odors??

Old 02-04-2012, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
She could easily be cooking Meth, which is extremely hazardous both for exposure and for risk of explosion/fire. Call your local police's non emergency number and report the strange smells.
will try to get someone tomorrow--small town--hope someone answers--neighbor had trouble reaching someone on non emergency number--left msg on machine--no response---by then the kid lurking in her backyard was gone but left garbage on her back porch--have i moved into a white "ghetto"???

Old 02-04-2012, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
oh great---just what i need---tried nicely telling her to tone down the odors last week---she came to the door looking wrecked,angry and denied using strong chemicals---yet she bangs on my walls frequently when i put on my gospel music

Old 02-04-2012, 05:11 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,741,218 times
Maybe have a welfare check done by the police .....maybe they will be gone a.s.a.p.

Old 02-04-2012, 08:06 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,375,139 times
Well the beer smell could be from brewing beer. And the airplane glue could be from a hobby.

But then again, the smells you are describing could also be from a meth lab.

Illinois Attorney General - Recognizing a Meth Lab from the Outside

What Does a Meth Lab Smell Like?

Meth lab: Smell

http://www.mappsd.org/Meth%20Labs%20Overview.htm

I think if any of the other signs are there a call to your local law enforcement would be in order.

ETA this is probably overkill with the links but I just saw you are in PA:
http://www.pfb.com/index.php?option=...=63&Itemid=162

Last edited by FrugalYankee; 02-04-2012 at 08:14 AM..

Old 02-04-2012, 08:09 AM

461 posts, read 1,313,917 times
Sounds like meth....call the cops and express your concern. Keep in mind, if it is meth, this is very hazardous to YOUR health.

Old 02-04-2012, 08:19 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,108,085 times
It is hazardous to your health in many ways, and very clearly is a fire hazard. Even when the "cooking" is over, the fumes linger and there is "by-product" that collects on walls, ceilings, cabinets making the unit (house/apt) just waiting for the right spark to set it off.

If you haven't contacted the local police department, you need to do so now rather than have the fire dept pull your body out of the charred remains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting