Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2012, 01:23 PM

4 posts, read 48,225 times

Advertisements

I don't know how much time has to pass until a non paying guest is considered a tenant. I suppose if you invite someone over for dinner and they refuse to leave you might have to evict them. If the cops come and they lie and say they're living there then cops don't want to get involved and tell you to take it up with the courts. Hard to believe but you even have to go through the courts if you want an adult child to leave and they refuse.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2012, 01:25 PM

106,673 posts, read 108,833,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eamestoplease View Post
I don't know how much time has to pass until a non paying guest is considered a tenant. I suppose if you invite someone over for dinner and they refuse to leave you might have to evict them. If the cops come and they lie and say they're living there then cops don't want to get involved and tell you to take it up with the courts. Hard to believe but you even have to go through the courts if you want an adult child to leave and they refuse.
in nyc its 30 days

Old 02-13-2012, 10:08 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
Serve them 30 day notice to pay or quit (all the rent due for 1 yr.) File those papers w/ court. Your landlord tenant info for your area should have all the info. I believe once they don't pay, you can them have sheriff serve them a 3 days notice. That will scare em. Check w/ an attorney for the legalities in your area. You should never have let it go so long.

I think the rental laws are ridiculous. I believe if it is your house, and someone is trespassing you should be able to call the police and it's done. Such BS

Old 02-13-2012, 10:33 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
I think you have a big, BIG problem now! I believe in California that after this long, you are now legally married to them and not only can you not evict them, but 2/3 of your stuff is now theirs. Just be glad they are stupid and don't make you sleep in the basement.

Old 02-13-2012, 10:59 AM

3,398 posts, read 5,105,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5X5 View Post
Am I missing something? This seems simple enough to me. You own the place, they are not your tenants. If you ask them to leave and they don't, they are trespassing. Doesn't matter how long they have been there. A guest is not a tenant.
I was thinking this very thing, because without rent ever being paid where is there any proof they have been there for a year anyhow? I don't know that expensive lawyers really need to get involved in this.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:03 AM

50,288 posts, read 47,043,365 times
I'd make them so uncomfortable they'd move. For starters make the bathroom a pay toilet. Next, put child proof locks on the fridge and all other cabinet drawers. Right after that start cleaning all of your weapons in the living room. Often.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:06 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,684,438 times
Don't wait too long for action though... do something NOW!
In 7 years they can even claim that they have dips on YOUR property.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:13 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,684,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Serve them 30 day notice to pay or quit (all the rent due for 1 yr.) File those papers w/ court. Your landlord tenant info for your area should have all the info. I believe once they don't pay, you can them have sheriff serve them a 3 days notice. That will scare em. Check w/ an attorney for the legalities in your area. You should never have let it go so long.

I think the rental laws are ridiculous. I believe if it is your house, and someone is trespassing you should be able to call the police and it's done. Such BS

Great advise!!!
Do this but keep your "belongings" (important mail/docs & such) in safe house (like rent a POD, a bank security box, redirect your mail to your relative's address etc.) first, away from any damages these "guests" can do.

Old 03-04-2014, 05:45 PM

1 posts, read 5,471 times
You mean I have someone living with me that moved in LAST January 2013 until he could get on his feet, dumb*** me...ex-husband I have a daughter with...and my mother passed in April 2013..he totally took advantage of me because he knew I wasn't paying attention. He was dismissed from his job and never told me and paid approx. 1000.00 towards ANTHING in over a year. He is no longer wanted there and I have had his mail forwarded to be held there so it does NOT come to my home any longer. WHY do I need an eviction notice of ANY kind? I am the homeOWNER and he is not on the deed!!!! I need him gone. My doctor said my stress level is over a 10. I am giving him two weeks and that is it...I will have him removed. This is bull****...try and do a nice thing and you get screwed. ughj

Old 03-04-2014, 09:15 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,995,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GemgrrlC View Post
WHY do I need an eviction notice of ANY kind? I am the homeOWNER and he is not on the deed!!!! I need him gone. My doctor said my stress level is over a 10. I am giving him two weeks and that is it...I will have him removed. This is bull****...try and do a nice thing and you get screwed. ughj
You don’t need an eviction notice, you simply ask them to leave at once. That’s it, that’s all to it.

If they don’t leave call the police. When the police arrive, show them your Guest Agreement that states they are legally not a tenant of the premise and understand they are illegal trespassers if they refuse to leave. That’s all you need and the police will throw them out!

Oh, you're saying you have no such agreement? So how are we to believe you’re made up story that the person is a guest and not an actual legal tenant? How would the police know they are not a legal tenant you rented the place to and for whatever reason, you want to throw them pout so you can get more rent from another tenant? Because you have nothing to show they are only guest, the law requires you follow certain steps to protect their rights and your rights. If you throw them out without the benefit of proper legal steps and they go to court and convince a judge they were legal tenants, you’re the one who will be paying them.

The problem you will face is few law enforcement agencies will intervene in a disputed civil matter unless you provide them some official judicial order.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting