Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 01:43 PM

911 posts, read 2,599,921 times

Advertisements

the foggers wont help, not hot shot, not raid, none of it. i've tried for like a year and it only puts em to sleep.

if anyone here has ever dealt with fleas or other things with more legs than us in apartments then heres the solution.

theres this stuff called spectracide. its a home defense type product that works inside and out. it comes in a black anti freeze type container and it has a sprayer nozzle attachment with it. it'll set you back $9 and change but its a big bottle. spray, not soak the carpet or affected areas and i promise by morning you'll have killed them all.

i hope it works for anyone that has this problem
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2012, 01:55 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times
I used Ortho flea spray fom Wal-Mart. It kills the adult fleas and the eggs. One time application and no more fleas. No mixing. Spray directly from the bottle onto the carpet and you are done.

Old 02-14-2012, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
I used Ortho flea spray fom Wal-Mart. It kills the adult fleas and the eggs. One time application and no more fleas. No mixing. Spray directly from the bottle onto the carpet and you are done.

ahh well theres another one! the home defense stuff i used from them was like candy. ooh also dont leave it outside or let it freeze.

Old 02-14-2012, 07:15 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acealive1 View Post
ahh well theres another one! the home defense stuff i used from them was like candy. ooh also dont leave it outside or let it freeze.
Is that the purple bottle/spray?

I use a purple bottle/spray as prevention now and then and it smells nice, and wash my dogs with a shampoo that I buy at the pet store that kills fleas/ticks on contact.

I don't have a flea issue but we had a huge tick issue and still are almost having a OCD about it and check both dogs everyday to make sure they don't have any...

I take the dogs often to our office and the surrounding common areas are sprayed but must still be invested with ticks so any time they go outside I check them for ticks...jakkie

Old 02-15-2012, 11:30 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,409,755 times
Default Here's our solution...

Quote:
Originally Posted by acealive1 View Post
the foggers wont help, not hot shot, not raid, none of it. i've tried for like a year and it only puts em to sleep.

if anyone here has ever dealt with fleas or other things with more legs than us in apartments then heres the solution.

theres this stuff called spectracide. its a home defense type product that works inside and out. it comes in a black anti freeze type container and it has a sprayer nozzle attachment with it. it'll set you back $9 and change but its a big bottle. spray, not soak the carpet or affected areas and i promise by morning you'll have killed them all.

i hope it works for anyone that has this problem
mix a fifty/fifty ratio of table salt and Boraxo soap. Sprinkle it generously over your carpeting and work it in w/a broom. Let it stand for 10-15 minutes then vacuum up...works great and no pesticides involved.
Koale

Old 02-15-2012, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Is that the purple bottle/spray?

I use a purple bottle/spray as prevention now and then and it smells nice, and wash my dogs with a shampoo that I buy at the pet store that kills fleas/ticks on contact.

I don't have a flea issue but we had a huge tick issue and still are almost having a OCD about it and check both dogs everyday to make sure they don't have any...

I take the dogs often to our office and the surrounding common areas are sprayed but must still be invested with ticks so any time they go outside I check them for ticks...jakkie

this is it, but i have the spray.

Old 02-15-2012, 04:08 PM

232 posts, read 1,654,198 times
I like Bengal brand flea powder.

A few years ago, we were living in an apartment complex. We went from no fleas at all, to hundreds (thousands?) in the apartment. We'd find dozens in the bed when we'd go to sleep, they were visible on the carpet, my son had them all over his legs....

We tried a lot of remedies. We could vacuum up the fleas and immediately bag them and bring to a dumpster on the property, and it still seemed like the same amount. We fogged, we sprayed... The powder was around $10 for two canisters and has a money-back guarantee. It solved the flea problem literally overnight.

Old 02-15-2012, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridacara View Post
I like Bengal brand flea powder.

A few years ago, we were living in an apartment complex. We went from no fleas at all, to hundreds (thousands?) in the apartment. We'd find dozens in the bed when we'd go to sleep, they were visible on the carpet, my son had them all over his legs....

We tried a lot of remedies. We could vacuum up the fleas and immediately bag them and bring to a dumpster on the property, and it still seemed like the same amount. We fogged, we sprayed... The powder was around $10 for two canisters and has a money-back guarantee. It solved the flea problem literally overnight.

im glad you have relief from the fleas now, it was the same with me except i could never see them but when i moved in there was nothing. so i guess the fleas were dormant or not ready to hatch until after i had moved in.

i spent over $30 fogging my apartment. im sure its probably way more than that because its been over a year i've fought them.

i was at my breaking point about 2 weeks ago when my gf and her child were over for the weekend and i got bit on my ankle. i was as mad as someone could get because i had spent a long time trying to flea proof my place. so getting spectracide worked wonders literally in a few hours because it killed everyone with more legs than us and it wasnt at all harmful.

Old 02-15-2012, 08:25 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,326,222 times
I used Sevin5 dust. I sprinkled it on the rug, worked it in, and left it all day. No more fleas.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:14 AM

2,091 posts, read 7,517,433 times
Fleas can stay safely in their cocoons, dormant, for 7 years. Thats why its so hard to get rid of them. All pets must be treated, preferably with advantage or better, internally with comfortis (see vet). Yard, if you have one, must also be treated regularly.

Don't just treat carpet, treat whole house at once. I prefer raid fumigators, not foggers. Follow instructions to the letter and get more then you think you need for your square footage. Vaccum thoroughly (get rid of the bag/wash canister) and do everything the label says. Open cabinets, pull furniture from walls, do everything you can to make sure the fumigator can get into all the nooks and crannies. Seal house, set fumigators shut door and go somewhere else for at least 3 hours. Come home and air out house. That gets the ones that are alive and hopping. Vaccuum again. Go to pet supply store and buy carpet and upholstery spray that says it sterlizes eggs and lasts 120 days. Spray according to directions. Two weeks later, spray again. 2 months later, spray again. What you are doing is covering your butt against potentially hatching cocoons that everything else missed, breaking the cycle. Keep the spray around and use it every 3 months or so, keep pets and yard treated and you should never get infested again. Because its so hard for every little egg or cocoon to be reached in a carpet, its best to do long term treatments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting