Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 02:58 PM

15 posts, read 298,281 times

Advertisements

Actually, the new pattern here really is that she is blasting her TV every time we take a step into the bedroom after 9pm-ish.
This is almost every night. It is so loud that last night (she turned on the TV in her livingroom for some time after she turned the volume down in her bedroom) I thought for a few minutes that there was someone in my apartment's living room, only to realize that it was her TV... downstairs.
I find it kind of ridiculous that she can complain about us walking around and squeaking the floor once or twice while we get ready for bed, but she is fine with blasting her TV intentionally just to try and disturb us. We aren't doing anything intentionally to annoy her, we're just living in the apartment we've rented.
I am sort of hoping another neighbor will complain before we need to... but I am wearing earplugs in my apartment more than I would like to because she thinks that I should be quiet on her terms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 10:19 AM

18,364 posts, read 31,448,743 times
you can always take the broom and bang on the floor when she blasts the TV.

Isn't it a PITA with neighbors that have do thing spitefully.

I feel for you, i really do, but i still say punch her in the face, i will ot tell anyone, i promise.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:37 AM

169 posts, read 336,720 times
CaitWil,

I really wish I had a neighbor as considerate as you seem to be! The fact that you've been trying to remedy the squeaky-floor situation despite your downstairs neighbor's behavior really says a lot about your character.

The downstairs neighbor is nuts. I think if you simply ignore her behavior for a while, you'll driver her even more nuts, and maybe drive her out of the apartment. If she passive aggressively mentions something about her TV being loud, such as, "Sorry about my TV being so loud, I'm trying to drown out the squeaky noises," you could respond with, "No problem. I never really noticed your TV being loud." I bet it would drive her up a wall!!

Old 03-07-2012, 11:41 AM

41,737 posts, read 74,692,347 times
Steal her remote! That way she can't easily turn the TV volume up and down.

Old 03-07-2012, 02:43 PM

1,481 posts, read 3,931,454 times
::evil laugh:: tennis balls bounce very well on hardwood floors can you count to a hundred before she comes screaming up the stairs? ( joking -- sorta)

Old 03-07-2012, 02:52 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,182,927 times
Best yet....talk to the landlord and print out these pages and leave them at her doorstep. Highlight the different users locations too so it doesn't seem lopsided to her. At least she will KNOW that you realize what is going on, both with the floor and her, and have tried to remedy the situation to no avail. Otherwise you're going to have another eleven months of escalating HELL if you have only been there a month.

Old 06-14-2012, 12:39 PM

1 posts, read 6,576 times
i am actually a tenant in an apartment where my upstairs neighbor is always walking around and has very squeaky floorboards. i have talked to management b/c the problem is not the walking but the squeaking that keeps me awake most nights. i think it is the responsibility of the management to remedy the situation. it is sooooo frustrating to be awaken every single night. doesn't seem fair that i pay rent on an apartment that i cannot sleep in. so far nothing has been done

Old 06-14-2012, 10:29 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,359,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mspring13 View Post
i am actually a tenant in an apartment where my upstairs neighbor is always walking around and has very squeaky floorboards. i have talked to management b/c the problem is not the walking but the squeaking that keeps me awake most nights. i think it is the responsibility of the management to remedy the situation. it is sooooo frustrating to be awaken every single night. doesn't seem fair that i pay rent on an apartment that i cannot sleep in. so far nothing has been done
That is unfortunately one of the hazards of apartment living. You hear the neighbors. I am guessing the floors are built badly which is what is causing the noise...but likely if the management doesn't want to remedy the issue, there isn't much you can do....

Old 06-15-2012, 01:14 PM

912 posts, read 5,238,400 times
I think you are waaaaaaaaaaaaay to nice to that nut-job downstairs.

Ignore them, but DO mention to your landlord that they are bothering you and expecting you not to walk inside your own home.

Old 06-15-2012, 02:04 PM

18,364 posts, read 31,448,743 times
sometimes, well probably most times in older buildings, there really is nothing that can be done about squeaking floors, unless the floors are completely ripped up and sound proof barrier then plywood then the floors.
LL's are not going to do this.

I still say, you have to really get it into her head that whether you live there or someone else she is still going to hear squeaking.

unfortunetely there is nothing that you can do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting