Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 10:35 AM

12,806 posts, read 15,095,839 times

Advertisements

I'm more frustrated than ever! So, I've narrowed it down to a few complexes. I've read ratings on them & although I live in what I think is the best city in the county w/ a high cost of living, the apts however, are their own "entity" so to speak & I read about some crime such as apt break-ins, car theft, & people partying. It's like reading news in a totally different city from where I live. It looks like I'll have to be willing to pay at least $1400/mo (still for a simple 1 bedroom) where the rent's high enough to keep out the riff-raff....all because stupid idiots can't live right & keep to themselves. Sigh!

I really hate how all complexes have amenitities, but I know there's no way avoid them. I'll never use their pool, in fact, I want to live as far from them as possible. I'll never use their gym since I have my own membership, but yet I have to help pay for those things in the rent.
They just built a brand new complex in my area & the cheapest rent for a 1 bedrm is $1610 for 980 sq ft. The biggest plan goes up to $2530 for 1987 sq ft. They must be including the garage space because the living space is no larger than other complexes.

In my area, there's no duplexes, triplexes, or single homes to rent that are small enough for what I need. The smallest may be 2 bedrms/2 baths, in which the rent's at least $1760/mo...way too much for what I want to pay!

Old 03-11-2012, 12:12 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,831,091 times
Have you looked into buying?

Old 03-11-2012, 12:44 PM

15,137 posts, read 32,428,163 times
You're never going to find something that suits you because you're too picky.

Old 03-11-2012, 01:25 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,111,263 times
You're far too picky for your own good. Why not hire a contractor to build you the home you want?

Old 03-11-2012, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
You're far too picky for your own good. Why not hire a contractor to build you the home you want?
I think that's an excellent idea!

Old 03-11-2012, 04:30 PM

12,806 posts, read 15,095,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Yeah, I'm sure a lot of us would like to do that! Hey, if you don't mind living in complexes where there's auto theft, break-ins, constant partying, be my guest! If people think that's being picky being a single person that I am, so be it. I'll wait longer until I can pay a little more & feel better in my surrounding. There's a complex I know about that I wish I could move into tomorrow, but I don't want to cut it that close. Once the ren'ts paid there & I paid my basic bills, I'd have nothing left at the end of the month.

Old 03-11-2012, 04:45 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,111,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Yeah, I'm sure a lot of us would like to do that! Hey, if you don't mind living in complexes where there's auto theft, break-ins, constant partying, be my guest! If people think that's being picky being a single person that I am, so be it. I'll wait longer until I can pay a little more & feel better in my surrounding. There's a complex I know about that I wish I could move into tomorrow, but I don't want to cut it that close. Once the ren'ts paid there & I paid my basic bills, I'd have nothing left at the end of the month.
Sounds like you you have a budget problem. Have you read Dave Ramsey? He can help you with that.

His first piece of advice would to be get another job and sell off your belongings.

Old 03-11-2012, 06:03 PM

Quote:
You're going to find problems everywhere, and you won't find a complex perfect enough to suit your needs. If you don't want to lower your standards, keep living at home. Not all the crime that you're reading about happens all the time anyway.

I live in a neighborhood that people consider not so nice, but yet, I've never had a break-in, we don't party constantly (people do have friends over, though), and no one has ever had a vehicle stolen. I mostly work nights, sometimes come in very late, and have never had a problem. I also come in from a very well lighted alley, because it's closer to my cottage than the street.

Old 03-11-2012, 07:09 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,189,286 times
Quote:
There is nothing wrong with being discriminating. However it does sound like it might make sense for you to loose the health club membership and spend that money on an apartment that you like, with a gym. It sounds like you are looking for a place with your own garage, which is a good way to avoid most of the crime in the complex. Most apartment complexes suffer from burglary of automobiles and petty theft from things that are outside of the apartment. When you research crime in a neighborhood you will almost always find that the highest crime areas are apartment complexes and shopping centers.

Old 03-11-2012, 09:21 PM

6,850 posts, read 11,623,030 times
I would put little or no credibility of apartment ratings to tell you what's really going on in a complex. Usually only the disgruntled post there.

I'd contact the local police department and ask for specific crime statistics regarding the complexes you are interested in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting