Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 07:20 PM

5 posts, read 82,612 times

Advertisements

Ok, first post. But I need help. When I moved in, I noticed mattresses in the dumpster, but didn't think anything of it. Now I know why, it is infested with bed bugs!!!! Bed bugs so bad I can literally see them walking around. I called the landlord and first she refused to believe me. She even said she got bug people to look inside, and there were none. Then I literally caught like 30 of them, and gave them to her. So I am extremely annoyed and just want to get out of the lease. I wasn't warned that this was a problem. None of my neighbors know about the bugs( this will change shortly). I have to throw away all my furniture. I'm not asking her to repay me for the damages( which is 3 mattress, 2 futons, and a couch.), if she lets me out of the lease. I've only lived in this apartment for 6 months and I got 6 more to go.

And I can prove this has been a problem, because I was looking at reviews of the complex. And about a week, after I moved in, there is a review that says don't live there infested with bed bugs!! And I looked at another site and it had a earlier review, saying there are bed bugs

And Its in a school zone, so that has to be some health code violation!
Totally calling the health department!

My roommate called her, and she said it was impossible. But he is bad with arguments, so I'm going to go in person and talk to her, tomorrow. Any feedback would help. SORRY, about the length, but I am pissed!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 05:05 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Read your state landlord tenant laws on inhabitability which will tell you what steps to take. If your state isn't listed in the first "sticky" on this forum page you can google, "(your state) landlord tenant laws" to find them. Document everything in writing and take photographs. Good luck!

Old 02-29-2012, 06:02 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times
You've lived there 6 months and are just noticing the bugs????
That's not a usual thing with bedbugs.

Old 02-29-2012, 06:08 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
That's what you get for dumpster diving.

Anyway, read your lease. It might say something about bedbugs. I know mine very clearly states that bedbugs are the tenants responsibility.

Have you done anything to treat these bugs or are you waiting around for the landlord??

Old 02-29-2012, 06:22 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
That's what you get for dumpster diving.
That's a hell of an unfounded (and not helpful) assumption. Where did you get the idea the OP was dumpster diving?

Old 02-29-2012, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
That's a hell of an unfounded (and not helpful) assumption. Where did you get the idea the OP was dumpster diving?

"Ok, first post. But I need help. When I moved in, I noticed mattresses in the dumpster, but didn't think anything of it. Now I know why, it is infested with bed bugs!!!! "

I assumed the IT is referring to the mattress she found by the dumpster.

If that whole building or complex was so infested as she claims, the county health dept would be involved.

My other part still stands, the OP needs to read the lease.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:36 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,473,858 times
When OP said "it was infested" - I think OP meant the apartment complex was infested. I didn't think she took the mattress from the dumpster back to her apartment. Of course, different interpretations apply here.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
When OP said "it was infested" - I think OP meant the apartment complex was infested. I didn't think she took the mattress from the dumpster back to her apartment. Of course, different interpretations apply here.

exactly. I read it that she meant the mattress, not the complex. I admit it was a quick read thru...one shouldn't skype and read forums at the same time.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:20 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
My only advice is make sure when you eventually move out you don't take the bedbugs with you. Or even now you don't take them to friends/family. They can be in more than just the furniture.

Old 02-29-2012, 11:07 AM

1,072 posts, read 2,972,288 times
Go to the sticky topic in the renting section and read look up the link for landlord/tenant laws in your state. Then pull out your actual lease and see what if anything it says about bugs.

You should call whoever in your town/city deals with housing and ask what your rights are. The health dept probably doesn't have authority since bed bugs generally are not considered a health hazard (they don't spread disease). But in many places your landlord is required to provide a pest free living environment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting