Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 01:20 PM

912 posts, read 5,241,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
That's what you get when you live in a sticks & nails building. Property owners/developers have one concern: $$$$$$.
The better the sound proofing the more $$$ it costs and they know you will leave someday.
oh god yes! The eeeeeeeeevil property owners/developers building shanty homes for the masses to suffer!! MAUAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!

Never mind the need for low-cost properties to be built so that low-income people can afford to not live under a bridge.

You want concrete sound-proofing?? Its all over the place, you just gotta pay for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 09:01 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,106,355 times
kids are a PITA no doubt about it. Especially the baby mommas with baby daddy drama! Take it from a LL who has a section 8er.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:20 AM

44,256 posts, read 64,116,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
There is a large Indian (India) population in this area. They live in many of the apartments and drive out others due to their cooking. Nothing like the strong smell of Curry coming at you from all sides.

It's like cigarette smoke that permeates into the walls & carpets and can be overwhelming.
You know, I think about that and I wonder...how much of that is the way the buildings are.

Because I know what you are talking about. Apartment complexes have and harbor smells.

Meanwhile, ironically, my parents' 4000 square foot house NEVER smells like curry or any food for that matter.
And even more ironically, none of my relatives' homes in India smell like food. They just smell like clean air or carpet or flowers or whatever.

There's got to be something with the apartments that is concentrating and unleashing this smell everywhere.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:59 AM

12,665 posts, read 14,807,013 times
Sorry this is happening to you. Yes, neighbors can make or break an otherwise, nice apt complex. I've always been raised to not impose on people & I live that way to this day. It would be nice if more people lived that way too.

As for me, on Aug 3rd, I will have lived in my new apt for 2 months & I must say, it's been amazingly quiet, especially moving in the summer when all the kids are out of school. I hardly see anyone when I'm walking to & from my car & it's very quiet overall & even good on Fri, Sat, & Sun nights. I'm on the 2nd floor & whoever's above me, is pretty good. i ONLY hear the regular noises at times of bathtub water running if I happen to be in my bathrooma t the time & maybe someone walking a little heavily here & there, but that's it.

Old 07-17-2012, 11:14 AM

1,624 posts, read 4,036,395 times
Everyone has their level of tolerance. I agree, sometimes things got on my nerves when I rented. I'm just lucky that when I rented I worked from 9-5 so the noise from the kids upstairs wasn't too bad because by the time I got home they were eating dinner then off to bed.

Also, my husband has an electric guitar. When he wanted to play at night in his office he plugged in headphones so as to be nice to the neighbors.

Some people have no respect for others.

Old 07-17-2012, 11:20 AM

4,096 posts, read 11,432,057 times
Perhaps it is the air tightness of the buildings. I know when we cooked and ground spices in our cooking class, our clothes soaked up the smell and it stayed until we washed them at home.I am sure that anything in a home or apartment would smell of the spices for a long time if the preparation was done at home. We even ran the fans and opened the windows. So it might be the spice preparation that causes many issues.

And if you are interested in the building of apartments, these days they are mostly built of plywood type material and studs with little in the way of sound barriers. I have seen this in 4 story buildings. My Mom's apartment is older and masonry with masonry walls and ceilings. I can not hear anyone else unless I go out into the corridors and hear it thru the doors.

I am actually more afraid of fires in these types of buildings since they can go up fast. We just had one that was almost finished burn to the ground and the flames were so hot they scorched buildings all around and burned the telephone poles. Not somewhere I would want to live on higher floors.

Old 07-17-2012, 12:23 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,739,990 times
I would check into the "quiet" hours (some counties have certain hours from night until morning that noise needs to be kept to a minimum)... sounds like the little girl is running around during the day - might not be much you can do. Is the person playing a guitar in the evening? Again, unless it's an electric guitar turned way up, there may be nothing you can do except complain to the LL.

Old 07-17-2012, 06:41 PM

369 posts, read 840,912 times
My wife and I lived on the lower floor. I worked nights sometimes and the folk upstairs sounded like they were dutch had bowling alley, walked around with clogs and a sound system with sh&^ tonne of bass.

We moved out as soon as humanly possible...........

We didn't have to buy out of a lease though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting