Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 09:56 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorglade View Post
Our landlord posted a notice this evening (saturday) that the power to the entire building will be off monday from 9am to 3pm. It is for construction purposes I assume since he is remodeling an apartment in the complex. Is this even legal? My concerns are threefold: 1) the food in the fridge and freezer will need to be completely thrown out as the temperatures will exceed food safety guidelines and it will no longer be safe to eat. I don't agree with his remodel being done on our dime. 2) my husband works from home on the computer. Losing a day's worth of work is not an option with deadlines to meet. Again, I disagree with the remodel being done on our dime. 3) we have a 2 yr old. It is just not safe to be without power with a small child in the home. What steps can / should we take to stop this from happening?
Yes, it is perfectly legal. You have been given ample notice so you can plan ahead for the inconvenience. Your husband can go work on a laptop at a wifi location. You can take your child an alternative location if you are all that worried about it. You can put extra bags of ice in the refrigerator and freezer to help them stay cold longer. It would not be unreasonable for you to ask the landlord to pay for the ice or any food lost to damages.

If he did it every day for an extended period of time you might have grounds to break your lease, but otherwise you just need to deal with it.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:02 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,087,599 times
Geez the things people complain about nowadays. The landlord sounds VERY accommodating doing this on a Monday during regular business hours. This would be fine for 99% of the population.

It's legal what he is doing and I think your crying is the illegal part.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:53 AM
Itz

714 posts, read 2,198,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorglade View Post
Our landlord posted a notice this evening (saturday) that the power to the entire building will be off monday from 9am to 3pm. It is for construction purposes I assume since he is remodeling an apartment in the complex. Is this even legal? My concerns are threefold: 1) the food in the fridge and freezer will need to be completely thrown out as the temperatures will exceed food safety guidelines and it will no longer be safe to eat. I don't agree with his remodel being done on our dime. 2) my husband works from home on the computer. Losing a day's worth of work is not an option with deadlines to meet. Again, I disagree with the remodel being done on our dime. 3) we have a 2 yr old. It is just not safe to be without power with a small child in the home. What steps can / should we take to stop this from happening?

Really quit crying about it. You are renting/leasing. Your LL is doing something for the benefit/safety of your building. Your food will be fine. Your husband can go into work or to a coffee shop (i worked in a highly secured environment and yes... a coffee shop will be fine).

And as others have stated.. seriously.. you can't keep your child safe because you will be without electricity? How does having electricity keep your child safe? Do you not know how to be a basic caregiver or parent? What do you think people do during unplanned outages? What did your parents and grandparents do? Maybe someone should monitor your home since you feel it is an unsafe environment for your child?

Quit crying about it... its not your dime.. your renting/leasing.. Get over it.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:30 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
The OP hasn't returned to the thread since posting her first and only (so far) post so either she listened and made arrangements or else is blocking the workers and will be on tonight's local news!

Old 03-05-2012, 11:48 AM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Original Poster only posted once...

Thread Closed for review...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting