Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 12:44 AM

1 posts, read 3,293 times

Advertisements

I rent rooms in my home. My tenant gave me 30 day notice and I charged her only for 30 days from the day the notice was given. I told her I would post an ad and start looking for a new tenant. I advised her that if she moved out before the 30 days was up and if I found a new tenant to move in before the 30 days was up, that she would get a pro-rated refund for the amount of days the new tenant was there, up to the end of the 30 days. I found a new tenant and she gave me a deposit to hold the room, as the old tenant was still occupying the room. The new tenant was not sure what day she actually would be moving in, regardless of when the old tenant vacated. The old tenant vacated about 12 days into her 30 day notice and returned the keys to me. I advised her today that the new tenant will not actually be moving in until 1 day after the old tenant's 30 day notice is up, and as such, she would only be getting her security deposit back and no pro-rated rent, unless the new tenant changes her mind and decides to move in earlier. The old tenant's question is: "Can I get the keys back and come do my laundry so I don't have pay for laundry in my new apartment, since I've paid the rent?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 01:00 AM

128 posts, read 257,650 times
give her 10 bucks to go away.

Old 03-13-2012, 02:51 AM

3,113 posts, read 8,379,165 times
She's got a point. She paid the rent, so she *could* still have access, if she hadn't given back the keys...

But I wouldn't want her coming back, if she's already officially moved out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipr View Post
give her 10 bucks to go away.
Maybe not such a bad idea? Just tell her it's not convenient, since you're really busy, so you'll mail her a twenty dollar bill instead, and laundry at her new place can be on you! If you word it right, it won't be insulting - and you won't have to open up your home again, to someone who already moved out.

Old 03-13-2012, 03:41 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
If she has moved out, it seems to me that should be the end of it, but I see her point as well. Like was stated just give her a few bucks and send her on her way to do laundry somewhere else.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:12 AM

725 posts, read 3,014,410 times
... Personally, I'd say no, especially since she already surrendered her keys. What's the difference if she asked if she could come back to use the shower? use your stove? use your internet?

Old 03-13-2012, 04:09 PM

987 posts, read 1,746,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s0nginmyheart View Post
... Personally, I'd say no, especially since she already surrendered her keys. What's the difference if she asked if she could come back to use the shower? use your stove? use your internet?
Agreed!!! I've seen it all myself, in short we lived in a bldg, where the maintenance guy (did not live in our building), but had a key to the laundry room & hogged it up (weekends mostly), not to mention he'd leave beer bottles in there, which explained his work.....why do people allow that?

Old 03-13-2012, 04:24 PM

1,369 posts, read 3,310,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s0nginmyheart View Post
I think the difference is they paid the bill to live in a space for a certain period of time, and the OP is denying the rights to services that a resident of said space gets in exchange for paying the OP a monthly rate. I don't see how whether or not they "moved out" or "gave the keys back" matters at all in this case.

Reality is, if this ever went to court I would put my money on the OP losing if they continued to deny access to the facility. If the OP does not want to give the tenant access to the facilities that the tenant paid for, perhaps the OP should simply refund the rent.

Old 03-13-2012, 05:01 PM

8,320 posts, read 13,447,487 times
She could technically ask for the keys back and use all the privileges the place offered since she did pay the rent till the end of the month. OR, imagine she was still living there, she would be using a whole a lot more than what she is actually asking for.

If anything, she gave you time to clean up and prepare the room if it wasn't and made the room "really" available for the new tenant to move in on or before the scheduled date. The lease I would do is, give her $20 for inconveniencing her. $10 is nothing, a few loads could take that much and she will have 3 weeks of laundry privilege she will be missing out on. She has given you 18+ days in return. I think $20 would be fair.

Old 03-13-2012, 06:42 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,128,778 times
Personally, I think the old tenant should get a little bit more than $20. How many days would you have lost rent getting the place ready for the new tenant?

"Deserves got nuthin' to do with it."

-- Clint in "Unforgiven"

Old 03-14-2012, 01:18 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,027,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogluvr4 View Post
I rent rooms in my home. My tenant gave me 30 day notice and I charged her only for 30 days from the day the notice was given. I told her I would post an ad and start looking for a new tenant. I advised her that if she moved out before the 30 days was up and if I found a new tenant to move in before the 30 days was up, that she would get a pro-rated refund for the amount of days the new tenant was there, up to the end of the 30 days. I found a new tenant and she gave me a deposit to hold the room, as the old tenant was still occupying the room. The new tenant was not sure what day she actually would be moving in, regardless of when the old tenant vacated. The old tenant vacated about 12 days into her 30 day notice and returned the keys to me. I advised her today that the new tenant will not actually be moving in until 1 day after the old tenant's 30 day notice is up, and as such, she would only be getting her security deposit back and no pro-rated rent, unless the new tenant changes her mind and decides to move in earlier. The old tenant's question is: "Can I get the keys back and come do my laundry so I don't have pay for laundry in my new apartment, since I've paid the rent?"
This makes sense and seems fair. Since you don't plan on giving her the money back for the rent, then technically she's still a tenant there.

Either give her the keys or the money. The choice is yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting