Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 04:57 PM

1 posts, read 2,067 times

Advertisements

my question is if there was no written rental agreement on how much we agreed to pay each month, and how much a late fee would be (we agreed verbally) and we asked for a walk through which she said wasnt necessary and the deposit was 400 which we gave her and got a recept for but we never got a written agreement on anything because she said it wasnt necessary and we have no recepts from the rent we have been paying. we ended up, the last two months paying to fix damaged foundation on the side of the apartment thats eruding away and black mold has taken over the entire left side of our bedroom wall that we have been trying to kill, and we told her about it and she still hasnt done anything to fix it we are. she sent aus a notice for eviction if we dont pay her a certain odd amount of money that shes come up with. So i guess we are trying to prepare our case because we are good people and think that is not right, does her verbal case stand up in court and will our evidence of things stand up against her?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 05:40 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,376,539 times
Are you saying you haven't paid rent for two months, because you were fixing a foundation problem instead? If so, did you follow the proper procedures in your state? You can't just withhold rent - there are very specific rules.

But I think the bigger question is why are you fighting the eviction? If the house is that bad, then why haven't you already left voluntarily?

Old 03-16-2012, 05:40 PM

1,481 posts, read 3,945,516 times
TAKE PICTURES! NOW Hopefully you have been doing that from the start .. and then tell her "make my day lady" .. She has to prove things are your fault ... naw she is trying for free money..

Old 03-16-2012, 05:45 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
Yes you are getting screwed and there's not much you can do about it. Without a written lease she can evict you for no reason.

You're probably best to keep your money in your pocket and find a new place to live.

Old 03-16-2012, 05:48 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but in some states if there is no written lease you are on a month to month lease..you are still required to pay rent, you can't just stop paying rent. You broke the lease by not paying the rent and she has a right to kick you out. Just like you had a right to ask for a written lease and refuse to rent if she said no.

I suggest you pay up and move on and learn your lesson before this eviction hits your credit and you're stuck renting from slumlords until you buy your own home.

At this point it's your word against hers because you didn't did everything in writing. As a consumer you have to speak up and ask questions and get everything in writing.

Old 03-16-2012, 05:53 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,376,539 times
One final thought, if you let it go all the way to court, and you lose, then it could be on your credit report for ten years. So not worth it... Just move out and move on.

Old 03-16-2012, 06:31 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMPaige View Post
my question is if there was no written rental agreement on how much we agreed to pay each month, and how much a late fee would be (we agreed verbally) and we asked for a walk through which she said wasnt necessary and the deposit was 400 which we gave her and got a recept for but we never got a written agreement on anything because she said it wasnt necessary and we have no recepts from the rent we have been paying. we ended up, the last two months paying to fix damaged foundation on the side of the apartment thats eruding away and black mold has taken over the entire left side of our bedroom wall that we have been trying to kill, and we told her about it and she still hasnt done anything to fix it we are. she sent aus a notice for eviction if we dont pay her a certain odd amount of money that shes come up with. So i guess we are trying to prepare our case because we are good people and think that is not right, does her verbal case stand up in court and will our evidence of things stand up against her?
Document everything....especially any letters you've sent her regarding the mold. Then call the health department, and any rental association in the county or state...see if anyone can help you w/ ideas. If she is gonna evict you, just go...black mold is deadly. But I wouldn't give her any money if I was just bailing. If you don't have a lease, then what does she have for proof of you even living there?? How long have you been there? And, I would never have given anyone a deposit or rent until I walked through....Like my GrandMa used to say..."You don't buy a pig in a poke"

Old 03-16-2012, 11:39 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Sounds like you did it too each other...

So many Landlord/Tenant issues would have clarity if reduced to writing.

My State actually requires rental agreements 1 year or greater must be in writing.

Two Things...

Why would you want to stay if the Landlord has no scruples... it will never get better.

An Attorney representing you provides legal advice... City-Data is venue for members to share experience.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 03-17-2012 at 10:16 AM..

Old 03-17-2012, 02:01 AM

27,213 posts, read 46,724,071 times
I guess you both were a match made in heaven and now a match made in court...

The burden of proof will be for the plaintiff but also partially on you...can you proof what you have been paying?

You know what your proof is, but do you have any clue what the LL proof will be? The LL may have pictures from prior to move in, etc...

Never under estimate the other side if you don't have your ducks in a row...I have read the OP post and it seems like you have nothing then some bla bla bla...perhaps the truth, but that is not how it works in reality.

Old 03-17-2012, 02:20 AM

25 posts, read 25,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMPaige View Post
My sister has been in this situation before. If you do not have a lease, the landlord can not simply give you an eviction notice and put you out. The law requires that the landlord give you 30 days of notice first. After the thirty days, they can begin eviction proceedings with the court if you still refuse to leave.

If there is a lease, the landlord can skip the 30 day notice rule, give you a notice that he will begin eviction proceedings, and file for an eviction the same day that he gives you the notice. This is because the landlord has a lease that you signed committing to pay a certain amount on a certain date every month.

If I were you, I would make arrangements to leave in the next month or so. When the landlord goes for an eviction notice without a lease, and finds out he has to give you 30 days notice, he will do just that. It would be good if you are ahead of the game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting