Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Assuming you leased a property with an uneven brick sidewalk to a tenant with mobility issues
Do nothing -- just lease the property to this family 2 11.76%
Discuss with Applicants -- say you will permit them to make accomodation at their cost 3 17.65%
Replace the brick walkway with concrete (estimate $1200) 9 52.94%
Other? 3 17.65%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 08:11 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,684,678 times

Advertisements

Situation: Private landlord, single family house. House is a single level, old house with a brick path (about 30 feet) from driveway to front door. Its a narrow walkway of bricks set in dirt. Bricks are uneven but no one has ever complained. Even if we had the brick path re-set, crutches or wheelchair would still have hangups on the many splits in surface. The brick pathway needs to be used for at least a few steps, even if one walks on the grass, to get to the front (concrete) doorstep. There is another way to enter the house from the garage into the kitchen. New tenant applicants are a mature couple with adult handicapped daughter. They viewed the house and have applied to lease it. The daughter came along to see the house and obviously had trouble using the brick path but could walk on the lawn.

Last edited by Squirl; 03-18-2012 at 08:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2012, 09:59 AM

12,773 posts, read 14,974,016 times
Well, since the daughter will be living there too, yet it's not entirely your doing that they still want to live there when they have a handicapped daughter, how about you & them each SPLIT the cost it takes to make the modifications? I think that's fair...especially if they'll plan to live there quite a while.

Old 03-18-2012, 10:36 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,690,877 times
Have they asked you about doing anything? Unless for some reason you're convinced that they'll be the most wonderful tenants in the world and unless you had already planned on redoing the pathway, I'm not sure why you would spend money which you weren't already planning on spending.

Old 03-18-2012, 10:48 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
I think you need to ask your TX landlord association about this as there may be local laws on top of the federal (which I don't know).

I know one of my doctors left his rented office of 30 years b/c his LL refused to widen the doorways to accommodate wheelchairs. There is a federal reg about office accessibility.

Old 03-18-2012, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Have they asked you about doing anything? Unless for some reason you're convinced that they'll be the most wonderful tenants in the world and unless you had already planned on redoing the pathway, I'm not sure why you would spend money which you weren't already planning on spending.

No, they have not asked for any modifications. They very much want to lease the house; they have been renting an apartment for the past 4 years and this is the first rent house in the right area (near their married daughter) that is single level and affordable for them. I am concerned their handicapped daughter will have a fall on the pathway; she uses crutches and is overweight. This is a retired man, a wife who works part time and the daughter on SSI. They have limited income so I know they are so hopeful they will get the house that they did not raise any concerns. They were the first applicants, and they meet my criteria so I will lease the house to them.

Old 03-18-2012, 11:00 AM

2,756 posts, read 4,412,167 times
It's a little hard for me to picture..... is it just that the design of the path is harder for a wheelchair/crutches, or that there are loose stones/irregular stones due to wear that make it more challenging? If it is showing signs of wear that you were thinking of fixing one day anyway, this might be a good "excuse" to fix it.

Be aware she will certainly have some falls, so that you may be liable if the walkway is not safe due to wear. Walking on the grass is often unsafe when it rains/snows when you are disabled.

But if the entrance through the garage is accessible, and it is only the design of the main path then is challenging, then I think that is fine to leave as is. They can just enter in the garage!

So I would re-set the path if it "needs it", but if it doesn't.....encourage them to enter through the garage for safety when they are together.

Sure, it would be very nice to bring up the idea of splitting the cost with them IF it is only a design issue that makes the path less accessible. That would be very generous and thoughtful for you.

It is often so hard for families to find accessible homes. I completely sympathize with this family.

Old 03-18-2012, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
I think you need to ask your TX landlord association about this as there may be local laws on top of the federal (which I don't know).

I know one of my doctors left his rented office of 30 years b/c his LL refused to widen the doorways to accommodate wheelchairs. There is a federal reg about office accessibility.
I am not legally required to modify my rental house. It is not multi-family so I don't have regs that compel me to do this...... but, I have a very reasonable rental rate and always have many inquiries about my rent houses. I follow Fair Housing regs and this family will be the tenants - not only because of the reg's but because it is the right thing to do, they applied first and meet my guidelines. However I am concerned about this disabled resident stumbling over uneven bricks with lots of crevices, that would not present an issue to able-bodied tenants. Using the garage entrance is probably the right answer, but if she is dropped off at the house she would have to have a garage door opener to get in. More likely she would simply brave the path and that is the risk. The rent amount was advertised so I can't adjust it to cover my costs if I install a sidewalk....I am pretty sure they would not be willing to split the cost, tho I might ask them per STT's suggestion.

Old 03-18-2012, 01:28 PM

2,756 posts, read 4,412,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
I am not legally required to modify my rental house. It is not multi-family so I don't have regs that compel me to do this...... but, I have a very reasonable rental rate and always have many inquiries about my rent houses. I follow Fair Housing regs and this family will be the tenants - not only because of the reg's but because it is the right thing to do, they applied first and meet my guidelines. However I am concerned about this disabled resident stumbling over uneven bricks with lots of crevices, that would not present an issue to able-bodied tenants. Using the garage entrance is probably the right answer, but if she is dropped off at the house she would have to have a garage door opener to get in. More likely she would simply brave the path and that is the risk. The rent amount was advertised so I can't adjust it to cover my costs if I install a sidewalk....I am pretty sure they would not be willing to split the cost, tho I might ask them per STT's suggestion.

You sound really reasonable. Thank you for being so thoughtful, and fair.

Old 03-18-2012, 01:29 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
if u can keep the cost down disability renters are very very good renters.
i would do it.

Old 03-18-2012, 01:47 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
I would consider the potential value of attracting renters with similar issues in the future if the house is otherwise suitable for someone with a similar disability. If it is a relatively inexpensive upgrade, I would consider doing it.

The people that I have known who use crutches get to be pretty nimble with them.

As far as liability is concerned, anyone could potentially fall if the walkway is uneven, such as someone wearing shoes with a high heel. If there is ice, anyone can fall anywhere. My husband did so leaving his office (in an otherwise flat parking lot) and dislocated a shoulder.

You should have liability insurance to cover such possibilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting