Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 07:54 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
For a special handicapped parking space, disability has to be a mobility issue. There are plenty of types of disability that don't get you a handicapped parking sticker. I suspect that you can not get a reserved space if your disability does not limit your ability to walk from your car to your door.
Right. You have to explain how the reasonable accommodation is needed because of your disability, unless the disability is obvious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2016, 10:58 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,211,406 times
Here is a link to ADA parking guidelines circa 2014'....if someone has found more recent link please post it.
ADA Handicapped Parking Regulations | Commercial Paving

Old 08-14-2016, 01:31 AM

1 posts, read 1,030 times
I live in an apartment in Houston, Texas. My 6 year old daughter is considered disabled by her doctor, speech therapist, and school and is currently on disability. It was a long process and I was told by her doctor that I should request a handicap placard and parking spot at my apartments. I received her handicap placard last week and requested and fought for a reserved parking spot for her. I finally get her reserved spot, but visitors with handicap placards keep taking her spot. Mind you, there are no handicap spots at my apartments until you request one. I have proof of everything. I have all of the paperwork from her doctor, speech therapist and school. I have her proof of disability. I have the paperwork from the courthouse for her placard and I provided the office a copy of the paperwork and her placard when I went to request her reserved spot. Plus, I have my conversations recording between me and the office along with a recorded conversation over the phone between me and the office along with a recording of a voicemail I left with their corporate office when I had issues with them reserving a spot for her (which in the state of Texas is 100% legal. Now, I am having issues with visitors with handicaps placards taking her spot, which is the only handicap spot available at my building. It extremely upsets me that someone would taking her spot which I fought so hard for her to have. If there is anything I can do about it, would someone please tell me!

Old 08-14-2016, 06:41 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,015,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chass0327 View Post
I live in an apartment in Houston, Texas. My 6 year old daughter is considered disabled by her doctor, speech therapist, and school and is currently on disability. It was a long process and I was told by her doctor that I should request a handicap placard and parking spot at my apartments. I received her handicap placard last week and requested and fought for a reserved parking spot for her. I finally get her reserved spot, but visitors with handicap placards keep taking her spot. Mind you, there are no handicap spots at my apartments until you request one. I have proof of everything. I have all of the paperwork from her doctor, speech therapist and school. I have her proof of disability. I have the paperwork from the courthouse for her placard and I provided the office a copy of the paperwork and her placard when I went to request her reserved spot. Plus, I have my conversations recording between me and the office along with a recorded conversation over the phone between me and the office along with a recording of a voicemail I left with their corporate office when I had issues with them reserving a spot for her (which in the state of Texas is 100% legal. Now, I am having issues with visitors with handicaps placards taking her spot, which is the only handicap spot available at my building. It extremely upsets me that someone would taking her spot which I fought so hard for her to have. If there is anything I can do about it, would someone please tell me!

You do not have a reserved spot....you have a handicap placard that allows you, and anyone with a placard, to park in a handicap spot. No different than a grocery store lot, unless your landlord identifies that spot as reserved to YOU and only you. IE: your unit # is on the spot or your parking sticker # (issued by your complex) is on the spot.

Your complex has to provide a handicap spot, but they do not have to provide you with a personal, reserved, for your use only spot.

Old 08-14-2016, 08:27 AM

32,638 posts, read 48,015,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chass0327 View Post
..........If there is anything I can do about it, would someone please tell me!
Not really. Your landlord has provided you with a designated handicapped spot. He does not have to provide you with a private parking spot. Your options are to be the first one to get to that spot while it is still empty or else park somewhere else. Handicapped spot is for anyone who has a handicapped placard.

You could request a reserved parking spot for yourself, but your landlord does not have to provide it. Ask him, maybe he will do it. However, I am going to infer from your post that parking is at a premium in your building, so your landlord isn't going to want to have a slot stay open all day long while you are at work, or otherwise gone. Still, go into the office and place a request, just don't get your hopes up.

Old 08-14-2016, 12:01 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,288,552 times
When my son had his house I requested a Handicap space in front of his house. Was Warned that ANYONE with a H/C Tag of Placard could park there.

Old 02-28-2017, 01:50 PM

1 posts, read 846 times
If my husband is diasabled and we live in an apartment, is the landlord requires to provide us a handicap space near our apartment entrance

Old 02-28-2017, 03:17 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,984,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleach0358 View Post
If my husband is diasabled and we live in an apartment, is the landlord requires to provide us a handicap space near our apartment entrance
Depends. The location of the parking spot has to be appropriate for the disability.

If a person has a mobility issue and is in a wheelchair, if the spots in front of the entrance has stairs, that would not be the most appropriate spots to assign. If the handicap ramp is 50 feet away, the spots by that ramp would be most appropriate. Landlords are not required to assign spots based on building entry; they must assigned spots that best accommodate the disability.

Old 01-07-2019, 03:29 PM

1 posts, read 460 times
Default Apartment number specific?

Can an apartment complex reserve a handicap spot (that was created for a specific tenant) with a specific apartment number on it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
I came across this in regard to the U.S. Fair Housing Laws and wanted to share it. The HUD Fair Housing website offers an example that speaks specifically to this issue (see the example in bold and underlined below).

What does the law require in regard to handicapped parking in housing parking lot?

The U.S. Fair Housing Act requires the following:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting