Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 11:33 AM

1 posts, read 2,580 times

Advertisements

I have a "roommate" I gave her a 30-day notice, she takes food from me, re-arranges my kitchen (without asking) says she needed more kitchen space. she is not a very trustworthy person. I did give her my permission to re-arrange the bedroom & bathroom. Now for the month of April, I have not gotten any rent money. My fear is that she wont leave on
April 30th. How can I be assured that this girl will leave. I am ready to toss her out now. What can I do to make sure she is gone when her 30 days is up? I do have new door locks when she leaves & am ready to change the door locks,

Help me, help me please
M
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2015, 12:08 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,678,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marciclark View Post
I have a "roommate" I gave her a 30-day notice, she takes food from me, re-arranges my kitchen (without asking) says she needed more kitchen space. she is not a very trustworthy person. I did give her my permission to re-arrange the bedroom & bathroom. Now for the month of April, I have not gotten any rent money. My fear is that she wont leave on
April 30th. How can I be assured that this girl will leave. I am ready to toss her out now. What can I do to make sure she is gone when her 30 days is up? I do have new door locks when she leaves & am ready to change the door locks,

Help me, help me please
M
Go to the first "sticky" on this forum and find the link to your state landlord tenant laws. Hopefully you gave her the 30 days notice in writing or at least have written acknowledgement from her that she received the notice - even a text or an email.

Nonpayment of rent is a default of your agreement (do you have an agreement in writing) if rent is due on the 1st so you can serve her a 3/5/7 day (state specific) cure or quit notice now. (Google "your state" cure or quit notice). If she doesn't pay or leave in accordance with notice you can then file for eviction even though she's already received your 30 day notice to leave.

DO NOT change any locks. That's illegal.

Old 04-09-2015, 06:54 PM

95 posts, read 101,603 times
been there done that, my daughter and her husband moved in with us. they broke up but he refused to leave. I said I want you out of my house and her husband laughed in my face and said you cant make me leave I get my mail here and since I get my mail here you have to leagally evict me.

Not believing him I called the cops and yep he was right I would have to leagally evict him. He got the last laugh as the cops left. I felt like I was trapped in my own home with him, he knew all the tricks and thankfully he found a new girlfriend and was gone in a week.
lesson learned!!

Old 07-06-2015, 03:40 PM

1 posts, read 2,270 times
Default Guest in my house

So my roommates left to Europe, and they invited this strange man to move in the house. They agreed on only a couple months of residence. He didn't sign any contract, he was living on the terms that if I felt that he needed to move out that I could kick him out at anytime. So everything was going okay, aside from him being weird. But a couple nights ago he caused property damage, so I called the cops. Now he is threatening to sue me because I called the cops. Do I need to give him a written 30 day notice or can I just throw him out?

Old 07-24-2015, 08:24 PM

1 posts, read 2,199 times
After reading this, I feel so bad for you. I have possibly the best advise, EVER! Move out of California. Problems Solved.

Old 07-29-2015, 10:01 AM

21 posts, read 24,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fohipimp54 View Post
After reading this, I feel so bad for you. I have possibly the best advise, EVER! Move out of California. Problems Solved.
Beutiful state, but horrible pro-criminal insane laws! Stay away from California, NewYork, New Jersey, and Illinois. Way to liberal and pro-criminal/pro-scumbag as well as anti decent law abiding citizen.

Old 07-29-2015, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
Most people like this know rental law for the area better than most landlords. They are chain squatters, and will feed off one person as long as they can, using all the legal loopholes they can find, then when someone finally gets them out, they move on to feed on someone else.
Untill one of their past victims firgures enough years have passed and its time for revenge. The thing about being a professional con-artist is that you have a long line of people with motive. Every year the line gets longer. No way the conartist could figure out who did it let alone the police who knowing what a scumbag the con-artist was likley wouldnt care.

Old 07-29-2015, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sutton08865 View Post
been there done that, my daughter and her husband moved in with us. they broke up but he refused to leave. I said I want you out of my house and her husband laughed in my face and said you cant make me leave I get my mail here and since I get my mail here you have to leagally evict me.

Not believing him I called the cops and yep he was right I would have to leagally evict him. He got the last laugh as the cops left. I felt like I was trapped in my own home with him, he knew all the tricks and thankfully he found a new girlfriend and was gone in a week.
lesson learned!!
Did you try cleaning your AK-47 or AR-15 in the living room while singing along to your favorite songs (and recording it so if he calls the police and lies and says you threatoned him he gets arrested for filing a false conplaint) Get a huge stero and set it up with a password so he cant access it. If he gets his own stero use the breaker box.

Old 11-14-2015, 11:34 AM

1 posts, read 1,918 times
Angry Not so handyman

I I was hired by the trust of this house to fix it up to sell. They are battling legal issues with the bank and are running out of money. Getting it in pretty good condition, we agreed that I live here temporarily as trade for partial payment. A month ago, I hired a friend/acquaintance to work with me at the house. I reimbursed him everything he spent and paid him for his labor. He wasn't very handy and so I told him that I wouldn't be workin with him anymore. He left. Two weeks ago I left for Europe and I just returned to find him here, moved in. I didn't realize it because I was not using the city garbage pick up (dump runs) that he had set up the garbage at the house, but he put it in his name and has connected his own internet service. I tried to get him to leave but he says he has tenant's rights. I looked into it and he does, so it seems. i offered him extra money to leave and he turned me down. He then did something strange, he called the owner (head of the trust) and told her that he was living here and wanted a buy out. I can't believe it! She, of course wants us both gone now. She feels I've violated her trust, by letting this person in the home. That's not it at all and will leave if she demands it of me. The problem is, that even if I leave, he is still here. I feel so responsible, but I don't know what to do. He has never paid rent. What can I do to try and protect my employer and get rid of him?

Old 11-14-2015, 06:29 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
You've tacked onto an old thread....it might be better if you contact a moderator and start your own new thread...This is a very interesting post...And you'll get lots more responses.

I think this owner may go so far as to sue you for getting her into this mess. Do some research on tenant laws where you live...there might be some ,loophole in that you hired him and living there was part of his ob, not a rental situation....and you fired him and he vacated....Seems like it is breaking and entering since he came while you were not living there. I think I'd call the police...breaking and entering is a crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting