Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 08:23 AM

2,682 posts, read 4,480,611 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone. First time posting in this section. I have a situation that I'm hoping someone could help me with.

We moved into a new apartment complex in mid-December 2011. We mainly chose this complex because of amenties: large pool, 4 gas grills, free wireless internet. It is now 4 months later and our biggest complaint is that we still don't have wireless internet. The manager says it's the cable company that is giving him the run-around, which I believe as they have a reputation for that. The first two months we were patient, now we are getting inpatient. Went to manager again today, he says he's working on it, there is no timeline, but that's all he can do. We asked for a monthly credit to our account so we can go out and get wireless on our own. He said it's not possible. We have 3 people in the apartment and only one hardwire jack, plus we would need to buy hardwire cables and run them around the apartment.

I already called the district manager on this once and we got a $100 credit to our account, fine, but we still need wireless. The manager promised to get back to us on Monday with a status. My strategy is to call the district manager again and then make it clear to him that we have been nice and patient up to this point and enough is enough. What he will do, will be on him.

My question is, what rights do we have and is there anything else I can do? On top of this, 2 out of the 4 grills are always broken, 2 treadmills in the gym are always out of order and I'm not even mentioning that. We're in Florida.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2012, 08:28 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,141,127 times
Is it in your lease?

Old 04-06-2012, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Is it in your lease?
Yes its in the lease where it lists what the complex will provide.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:34 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,818,961 times
Broken tread mill in the gym? Sounds like your problems are minor in comparison to those who are poor...I suggest you be thankful for what you have....and simply ask in a friendly manner to have someone fix what you pay to have...which is a gym...You get more flies with honey than a demanding bitter exchange...be kind and persistent....find out who actually does the repairs and ask them to fix it...make friends...forget management....who sound just as spoiled as you possibly are...no offense intended.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:37 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
Hi Everyone. First time posting in this section. I have a situation that I'm hoping someone could help me with.

We moved into a new apartment complex in mid-December 2011. We mainly chose this complex because of amenties: large pool, 4 gas grills, free wireless internet. It is now 4 months later and our biggest complaint is that we still don't have wireless internet. The manager says it's the cable company that is giving him the run-around, which I believe as they have a reputation for that. The first two months we were patient, now we are getting inpatient. Went to manager again today, he says he's working on it, there is no timeline, but that's all he can do. We asked for a monthly credit to our account so we can go out and get wireless on our own. He said it's not possible. We have 3 people in the apartment and only one hardwire jack, plus we would need to buy hardwire cables and run them around the apartment.

I already called the district manager on this once and we got a $100 credit to our account, fine, but we still need wireless. The manager promised to get back to us on Monday with a status. My strategy is to call the district manager again and then make it clear to him that we have been nice and patient up to this point and enough is enough. What he will do, will be on him.

My question is, what rights do we have and is there anything else I can do? On top of this, 2 out of the 4 grills are always broken, 2 treadmills in the gym are always out of order and I'm not even mentioning that. We're in Florida.

Thank you.

IF it is in the lease WRITE A LETTER to the district manager stating the exact date the internet went out, the date and times that you notified the property manager and his response. Attach a COPY of the LEASE highlighting where it states that the wireless internet is included with the rental and ask for a specific date as to when the wireless internet is going to be repaired and that you expect to see a credit on your rental account for the past months with no wireless internet as well as any future months that it is not fixed. Have it delivered so the correspondance has to be signed for.

Within a reasonable amount of time if there is no progress or response from the District Manager you have several choices. First you make a copy of that correspondance and attach it to the next in line above the district manager's position, second you start planning to move OR you look up the tennant's rights laws in your state and file a suit in court for monetary compensation for the wireless internet. Then be prepared to move anyway because you will more than likely be evicted after that for some reason or another.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:38 AM

819 posts, read 3,208,145 times
So, you're complaining about something that is free? Why would you want a credit. You are not out any money.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Broken tread mill in the gym? Sounds like your problems are minor in comparison to those who are poor...I suggest you be thankful for what you have....and simply ask in a friendly manner to have someone fix what you pay to have...which is a gym...You get more flies with honey than a demanding bitter exchange...be kind and persistent....find out who actually does the repairs and ask them to fix it...make friends...forget management....who sound just as spoiled as you possibly are...no offense intended.
So only poor people's problems matter? What a silly post. And you may want to take the time to read the OP again if what you got from it is was an issue with the gym.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
You know, I do take offense. I work hard and this place isn't cheap. I don't just throw my money away. The reasons we moved here are because we could save on the gym membership, internet and cable bills and when I go to the gym, I can't get a treadmill. If I knew all this, I would have stayed where I was.

We have been nice and asked and asked again. When the printer is out of toner, they say the toner is on order, we say OK. When the 2 grills are broken, they say they ran out of propane, we say OK. When the treadmills are broken, they say they will be fixed in a few days, we say OK. When is enough enough.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdotAllen View Post
So, you're complaining about something that is free? Why would you want a credit. You are not out any money.
He is complaining because if it isn't provided he will have to pay for it.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdotAllen View Post
Because they advertise it as included in our rent. I want a credit to my rent since I'm not getting what's included. They've even admitted to this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting