Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which would be the best strategy
Brother as a co-signer 1 33.33%
Brother as a tenant 2 66.67%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 03:26 PM

113 posts, read 895,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
So basically you want to know how you screw over your brother if you can't pay rent..well, tenant or cosigner, it won't matter....they will go after him until it's paid.

And I suggest you pay closer attention to what these leasing agents are telling you.....they are in business to make money, not lose it.
I would correct your assumptions, but it makes no difference in my life what you think.

Are you done? Because I am.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 06:04 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,018,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinoRepublic View Post
I would correct your assumptions, but it makes no difference in my life what you think.

Are you done? Because I am.
Then don't ask questions you don't want answers to....good night and good luck.

Old 04-12-2012, 02:12 PM

286 posts, read 689,067 times
Is this through a private landlord or an apartment complex?

Old 04-12-2012, 03:52 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,018,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlondeLocks View Post
Is this through a private landlord or an apartment complex?

It doesn't matter.

Old 04-13-2012, 11:56 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,950,661 times
We often do co-signers, or as they should legally be called a "Guarantor." This is done via a separate addendum to the lease. The guarantor must pass credit and income requirement sufficient to afford both their own home and the rental in question. They are guarantying payment but do not have occupancy rights.

This is normal for young people moving out for the first time and for undergrad students without income other than financial aid. Grad students usually have sufficient income. I also have young people who's parents subsidize the rent. To me the more people on the hook for the rent the better.

The issue I see is your spending your savings to pay for your apartment. What happens when your savings is gone? Then who pays the rent? That puts eviction into your future.

You might want to re-think this until your income is higher.

Also as a first time tenant and a young person you need to show great maturity. Landlords are scared of young people because of party and drug problems. Show the LL that you are an exemplary tenant, keep your place clean, use headphones if you like loud music and you will have a great reference for the next step in your future both as a tenant, possible homeowner and for jobs.

And finally - if you have a job, have you looked into BUYING a house, possibly with your brother? You could live in it and rent out the extra rooms. You are in the best market in our lifetime. That's how I started, I bought a house and rented the other rooms which covered my payments, I banked my salary and started buying more rentals.

Old 04-14-2012, 03:19 AM

113 posts, read 895,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
We often do co-signers, or as they should legally be called a "Guarantor." This is done via a separate addendum to the lease. The guarantor must pass credit and income requirement sufficient to afford both their own home and the rental in question. They are guarantying payment but do not have occupancy rights.

This is normal for young people moving out for the first time and for undergrad students without income other than financial aid. Grad students usually have sufficient income. I also have young people who's parents subsidize the rent. To me the more people on the hook for the rent the better.

The issue I see is your spending your savings to pay for your apartment. What happens when your savings is gone? Then who pays the rent? That puts eviction into your future.

You might want to re-think this until your income is higher.

Also as a first time tenant and a young person you need to show great maturity. Landlords are scared of young people because of party and drug problems. Show the LL that you are an exemplary tenant, keep your place clean, use headphones if you like loud music and you will have a great reference for the next step in your future both as a tenant, possible homeowner and for jobs.

And finally - if you have a job, have you looked into BUYING a house, possibly with your brother? You could live in it and rent out the extra rooms. You are in the best market in our lifetime. That's how I started, I bought a house and rented the other rooms which covered my payments, I banked my salary and started buying more rentals.
Thank you for your thoughtful and thorough answer. My plan is to sign a 6-month lease and use both my income and my savings to pay for rent and every other expense. I have enough income to pay for rent - so that would never be a problem. I'm not using savings to pay for rent. I understand how stupid that would be.

I'll be graduating college in about 4 months and will be able to work full-time. If I find a good job, great. If not, I'll have enough money to fulfill my lease and move back with my parents. I already discussed this with them.

Again, thank you. I appreciate the manner in which you presented this information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting