Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 01:39 PM

96 posts, read 126,576 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I have lived in my apartment since 2009 and have two cats. My lease clearly states that I am allowed to have my two cats.

Last night my landlord told me that I have to move because of my cats. I cannot afford a lawyer. I hope someone here can help me. If the lease states I can have two cats, can my landlord tell me nearly three years later that I can no longer keep them?

TIA.

Old 04-10-2012, 01:42 PM

1,015 posts, read 2,424,107 times
I have nothing to add for you but I just wanted to say, I'm sorry to read that.

Old 04-10-2012, 01:42 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
Are you month to month? If so, it probably isn't worth fighting. Your LL can just give you 30 days notice. If you are on a longer lease, your LL can't just make changes during the lease period.

Old 04-10-2012, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildnFree View Post
I have nothing to add for you but I just wanted to say, I'm sorry to read that.
Thanks. I'm so upset I could barely sleep last night and am still upset since I cannot afford a lawyer.

I am disabled and finding an apartment to accommodate my disability is a HUGE hassle. Add into that the cost of having a moving company to move my furniture, first month deposit on a new apartment, first and last month rent on a new apartment.

I'm just upset beyond words. I don't even have a CLUE why the two cats even became a problem since my upstairs neighbors have a cat. Singular, not plural.

But MY lease states that I have permission for two cats.

Again, thanks in advance for any advice.

Old 04-10-2012, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Are you month to month? If so, it probably isn't worth fighting. Your LL can just give you 30 days notice. If you are on a longer lease, your LL can't just make changes during the lease period.
No. Not month to month lease. I have a current lease signed in August 2011. And the lease still states I can have two cats. My lease has been renewed every year since I have lived in this place.

Old 04-10-2012, 01:50 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,681,995 times
If its a yearly lease, the earliest they can ask you to get rid of the cats is at lease renewal. However, read the lease and see if there is any provision where the LL has the rightt o deny the cats for some reason, Usually it calls for some rule violation, but some leases give the LL the right to revoke the pet privilage on a whim.

Old 04-10-2012, 01:52 PM

1,015 posts, read 2,424,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wytchywoman View Post
Thanks. I'm so upset I could barely sleep last night and am still upset since I cannot afford a lawyer.

I am disabled and finding an apartment to accommodate my disability is a HUGE hassle. Add into that the cost of having a moving company to move my furniture, first month deposit on a new apartment, first and last month rent on a new apartment.

I'm just upset beyond words. I don't even have a CLUE why the two cats even became a problem since my upstairs neighbors have a cat. Singular, not plural.

But MY lease states that I have permission for two cats.

Again, thanks in advance for any advice.
Others with more experience on these matters can chime in, but I would be royally p!$$3d. Bad enough trying to find a place to allow pets, let alone doing it on short notice especially after living there for so long.

Old 04-10-2012, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildnFree View Post
Others with more experience on these matters can chime in, but I would be royally p!$$3d. Bad enough trying to find a place to allow pets, let alone doing it on short notice especially after living there for so long.
Again, thanks for your response. My cats are indoor only, they don't go outside and get fleas or other diseases and drag them into this 6 apartment building. Cats are naturally very QUIET animals. And as mentioned, my upstairs neighbors have a cat.

I was shocked when my landlord called and told me I had to move. He has not come up with an eviction notice yet, but I expect one soon. I have to move because of having two cats when I have a lease dated August 2011 that where he gave permission for my having two cats?

I just don't understand this. I tried calling some lawyers in my town earlier that said they give free consultations, but everyone of them said they don't handle landlord-tenant disputes. I'm just at a loss here.

Old 04-10-2012, 02:03 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,088,853 times
As stated, if you're month to month, you're going to have a tough time staying.

Sorry to hear about this, try talking to the LL in a nice way, explain your situation, ask if he/she can work with you or what you can do to work with him/her while you find a new place.

Old 04-10-2012, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowitsshowtime View Post
As stated, if you're month to month, you're going to have a tough time staying.

Sorry to hear about this, try talking to the LL in a nice way, explain your situation, ask if he/she can work with you or what you can do to work with him/her while you find a new place.

Thanks for your reply. I am not month to month, though. I have a lease dated August 2011 (a one year lease) that still states I can have two cats.

But thanks for trying to help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting