Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 12:31 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,451,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Called the landlord. He said that they have been good tenants for 6 years and that he doesn't want to rock the boat. They are moving "soon"
yah, that's no excuse. and dont be afraid to tell him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2012, 01:48 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,438,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faworki1947 View Post
see if you quilafy for handicapped plates AND parking .. I just looked at the MA handicapped drivers board .. Not sure if you can get them but worth the check to look ...
I have them. I could get handicapped parking put on the street, but that's not limited to just me (and there is a serious issue up the street where a handicapped parking spot is fought for between a guy with NO driveway parking who got the sign put up for him and a neighbor who doesn't want to bother with tandem parking).

I brought it up and technically I do have a space to park on the driveway. The neighbors do leave one space - just not the two we are promised. My roommates let me have it, but that's a problem for them since they have to do the heavy lifting for the apartment (and with 3 cats, that's a lot of big bags of kitty litter and cat food that they have to haul from a block away). There is not enough street parking and we're on a tiny one way side street with no room to double park.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
park on the grass next to the driveway if no space available.

If the tries to reprimand you, listen to him and continue to park there and if he continues to bring it up state that your lease says 2 parking spots.

He cannot evict you over parking when he is the one that is not providing the 2 parking spots that are defined in the lease. I suppose he could charge you for worn out areas on the grass from your car parking over the grass for a long time. Just try to park in slightly different spots on the grass so it doesn't get worn in one area.

I wonder when those folks are moving. Usually you give notice 30 days ahead of time. Wonder if he was bluffing to shut you up.

When/if they move, you will likley give same lease to the new renters - allowing them 2 parking spots.

He is promising more parking spots than he has available. Park on the grass.
There is no grass to park on, that's the problem. There really is only room for 3 cars on the driveway and the driveway is bound between the house and the house next door. It's an L shaped driveway with the little leg in between the houses and the other leg along the street. We park on the longer leg (which requires my roommate to go in over the curb). There *might* be room in the short leg for 2 cars to park if there were two compact cars (and as I mentioned, the neighbors have 3 SUVs) but the last car would block in the other 3. We also can't park on the sidewalk.

The landlord was really evasive when we asked how many parking spaces the neighbors were promised. I'm going to guess 2 as well, which is just impossible given the space allotted.

As far as the neighbors moving out, we were told that the couple had just bought a house and were all going to move into it once they finished renovations in the spring. So I do believe they are moving soon, but that does pose a problem with new neighbors.

Part of the core of the issue is that we are an unwelcome nuisance in their eyes. Our apartment was previous inhabited by the elderly owner of the apartment. When she passed away, her nephew (our landlord) took over and renovated the entire place on his own on weekends for about a year and a half. Suddenly there are 3 people in their early 20s with odd hours at times (never loud, but we *do* walk around at 2 or 3 in the morning), 3 cats who jump from things, and new cars jockeying for position. I honestly don't know how much sound bleeds downstairs - but it's an old house and the floors squeak, so they probably do hear us. But again, they won't talk to us so I don't know what we are doing to bother them, which means we can't change it until they leave a passive-aggressive note.

Oy vey. This is the best apartment I have lived in so far - decent apartments are very hard to find in Boston with so many people competing. We moved in during a really "off" month which is why we were able to snag it. I am just hoping the landlord shapes up once they move.

Old 04-14-2012, 02:24 PM

2,718 posts, read 5,358,488 times
Quote:
I am just hoping the landlord shapes up once they move.
Unfortunately, the only way the landlord will shape up is if he is forced to abide by the terms of the lease and directly confront issues that his tenants are having with regard to those terms.

Telling you he does not want to rock the boat is a sign that this guy is an "ignore it and it will go away" type person that doesn't want any confrontations so he relies on the "nice" tenants to put up with bad behavior by other tenants so he doesn't have to get involved. Bleh.

Interesting that he is unwilling to remind them that you have two parking spots assigned, yet he's perfectly willing to advise you to stay away from your shared portion of the garden because they have claimed it all as their own.

What boat rocking is he worried about if they are moving soon? It certainly isn't that he's afraid they will leave. Is he afraid they will damage the place?

I hope it works out for you and they move soon. When new tena

Old 05-03-2012, 06:02 AM

Update:

May 1 has come and gone, and they haven't moved. In addition, they have continued to park across our spots. After knocking on the door, I left a note asking if we were doing something wrong and to please let us know, and also said that we had 2 spaces on our lease and that due to my health condition, I need the space. There was no response, until last night when they once again parked across both spots. I got home late and it's wet and cold - not conditions that I could really walk down the block in order to park - so there was room on the driveway and I parked there. That effectively blocked them in.

They left a note that was polite, but said that they were entitled to the space because the wife is pregnant and that they spoke with the landlord who said that we each only got one space.

So now I'm a bit infuriated. Clearly the landlord lied to them. Or else he didn't read the lease that he had us all sign. Either way, my roommates and I never would have signed the lease without the two parking spaces offered, and it's written TWICE on the lease. Furthermore, the landlord got a complaint about us and did nothing to notify us. Last night, the people downstairs were parked so they took over BOTH of our spaces as well as had the back of another car so far across the driveway (which is illegal) that even if we had been able to park there, we couldn't have gotten into the space.

I will be calling the landlord today to inform him that he is in breach and that it is his responsibility to rectify it.

I don't want to be so petty, but again, that was the lease we signed. The people downstairs must work close to home since they are always home before we are (we get home between 6 and 9, depending on what's going on that night) so there is NO problem finding on-street parking then. However, it's a serious issue when I get home after class at 10 with a bag full of groceries in the rain and the closest parking spot is down the street and around the block.

I'll update after I call the landlord. The next step is to call the city parking people because if I was to open a handicapped parking space request, I would first need to prove that there was no parking otherwise. Since our lease states that we have 2, that is something that will be enforced by the DPW.

Old 05-03-2012, 06:09 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
After you call the LL you need to follow up your call in writing confirming your understanding of the telephone conversation.

Old 05-03-2012, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
After you call the LL you need to follow up your call in writing confirming your understanding of the telephone conversation.
The landlord lists the downstairs neighbor as his address (the mailbox has his name on it and we put our rent checks there). If I was to send certified mail, they would knock on the door and only get the tenants. I will certainly place a letter in the mailbox for him.

Old 05-03-2012, 06:31 AM

Quote:
The landlord lists the downstairs neighbor as his address (the mailbox has his name on it and we put our rent checks there). If I was to send certified mail, they would knock on the door and only get the tenants. I will certainly place a letter in the mailbox for him.
Interesting. Where do all the tenants get their mail? I don't agree with your just putting the letter into the mailbox. I would still send it return receipt certified so you have a record of mailing it even if it's returned to you. It may not even be returned to you - one of the tenants may sign for it and give it to the LL when they see him. If nobody's home a notice of attempted delivery will be left in the mailbox which your LL will receive. But if you don't want to do that then send it via USPS first class mail addressed to the house if that's the only address you have for him (that's the address listed for him on the lease?).

Old 05-03-2012, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Interesting. Where do all the tenants get their mail? I don't agree with your just putting the letter into the mailbox. I would still send it return receipt certified so you have a record of mailing it even if it's returned to you. It may not even be returned to you - one of the tenants may sign for it and give it to the LL when they see him. If nobody's home a notice of attempted delivery will be left in the mailbox which your LL will receive. But if you don't want to do that then send it via USPS first class mail addressed to the house if that's the only address you have for him (that's the address listed for him on the lease?).

I assume they get their mail from a PO Box because they do not seem to receive mail there (from when we've put checks and other things for the LL there). The whole situation is VERY confusing - from day 1 we have gotten mixed messages and incorrect info from the property manager (who was the one who showed us the house, was there when we moved in, and had us sign the lease - he's just a friend of the family who gets paid in beer for his time).

When I spoke with the landlord this morning, he confirmed that there was room for 3 cars and that while he didn't mean for us to get 2, if it's in our lease, he will honor it. He's coming over this weekend and will put lines if necessary.

Old 05-04-2012, 07:20 AM

18 posts, read 131,132 times
You can complaint to the landlord he can fox these things for you with a legal notice or a mutual understanding .If they are not responding what you can do either drop any mail or message on their board

Old 05-04-2012, 08:01 AM

Quote:
... the property manager (who was the one who showed us the house, was there when we moved in, and had us sign the lease - he's just a friend of the family who gets paid in beer for his time).

.. if it's in our lease, he will honor it. He's coming over this weekend and will put lines if necessary.
Between a "property manager" who's really not and a LL who doesn't even know what his own lease says, you'd better start getting used to putting everything in writing so that you have a paper trail if (or should I say more realistically "when") you need it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting