Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 11:10 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,328,014 times

Advertisements

I Love Lucy "Breaking The Lease" - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 12:05 PM

1,015 posts, read 2,422,975 times
Stan I was in TEARS, LOL!!!

Old 04-16-2012, 09:34 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,328,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildnFree View Post
Stan I was in TEARS, LOL!!!
You should see the rest of the episode...when they get the whole band there, they play a great song called, "El Breako the Leaso."

Old 04-17-2012, 05:12 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,043,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildnFree View Post
As some of you may or may not know I've been having some issues with the duplex I'm currently renting out. See "duplex issues" if your not sure. The neighbor issues have quieted down but are starting back up.

My main issue is the sewage and the utility wires coming from the stump. Its been a month in and still nothing has been done about the stump. I can never get a hold of the PM I always have to call the realtor just to have the PM send me an email.

I double check my current lease and says I have to give at least 60 days notice before the end of then-existing term. Think I have a strong case to break it.
I read your earlier post here //www.city-data.com/forum/renti...ex-issues.html

I did not see where you said what state you lived in, but in most states the stump, open hole and parking problems are not issues that would allow you to break a lease, because they don't really prevent you from using the property. The septic system probably is legitimate grounds if it has prevented you from using the toilet for an extended period of time, more then a few days. It would be wise to verify what your state laws say before you get yourself into a legal jam. At minimum you should document your on going problems with certified letters to the landlord, cite your numerous conversations with them about it and give them written notice that you are leaving because the property does not have a functioning bathroom. Take photos of the backed up toilet as evidence.

Old 04-18-2012, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
I read your earlier post here //www.city-data.com/forum/renti...ex-issues.html

I did not see where you said what state you lived in, but in most states the stump, open hole and parking problems are not issues that would allow you to break a lease, because they don't really prevent you from using the property. The septic system probably is legitimate grounds if it has prevented you from using the toilet for an extended period of time, more then a few days. It would be wise to verify what your state laws say before you get yourself into a legal jam. At minimum you should document your on going problems with certified letters to the landlord, cite your numerous conversations with them about it and give them written notice that you are leaving because the property does not have a functioning bathroom. Take photos of the backed up toilet as evidence.
I live in VA. I have looked and continue to review my lease as well as the VRLTA.

Been doing that since the day I moved in and still continue to do so on my "journey." I have photos and videos of some the issues I've been having here.

Old 04-18-2012, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
You should see the rest of the episode...when they get the whole band there, they play a great song called, "El Breako the Leaso."
Great episode! Gave me some ideas about the noise issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting