Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 01:07 PM

410 posts, read 1,518,657 times

Advertisements

If I don't find a job in the next 3 weeks then I have no other choice but to break my lease. The landlord says I have to find a new tenant OR buy out my lease for $6,990. I'm leaving my son with my mother so I can go somewhere else and look for work so at least he won't be homeless.

What's the best way to find someone to take over a lease in an apartment complex?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 01:55 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,489,836 times
How did you find the apartment in the first place?

If you know any of the people in the building ask them if they know of anyone looking; ask them to pass the word around. If there's a notice board somewhere in the complex, put up a notice. Local stores, put up a sign. Craigslist, local newspapers, private mailbox services if there are any where you are.

It's highly unlikely that your LL would ever prevail in court if he sued you for over $6K. He has to do his utmost to mitigate his damages. Hope it works out for you quickly. Good luck.

Old 04-17-2012, 02:04 PM

I have lived in the complex for 8 years now. While on our vacation my mother moved the family into a small one bedroom apartment which was WAY too small for all of us. So, me being stupid but wanting to do the best thing for my son, rented our own 1-bedroom apartment. I thought, again very stupid on my part, that I would be able to get a job as things are starting to pick up. I now find myself with very low funds and an apartment to pay for. The manager is new and runs things by the book. The old manager would let you out of your lease if you didn't damage the place or give them grief...she will not. You either find a new tenant or buy out your lease (amount of monthly rent times the months left on the lease). She evicts people at the drop of a hat and we always rent quickly but since it is in the lease they have every right to do it. I can't see how they can charge you the lease in full then turn around and rent the same apartment in 2 weeks or less for the same amount but its happening.

She is even being a stickler with the no guests for more than 3 days...but since my son is a child she is allowing him to stay for 2 weeks max or my mother loses her lease.

Old 04-17-2012, 02:21 PM

16,787 posts, read 48,878,654 times
What state do you live in? In most states if you give notice you are vacating the lease, the landlord is obligated to try and find a new tenant and can only charge you for the months after you vacate when they do not have a tenant. So you do not have to pay the full cost of the remainder of the lease, only the time it is vacant.

Old 04-17-2012, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by operaphantom2003 View Post
You either find a new tenant or buy out your lease (amount of monthly rent times the months left on the lease). She evicts people at the drop of a hat and we always rent quickly but since it is in the lease they have every right to do it. I can't see how they can charge you the lease in full then turn around and rent the same apartment in 2 weeks or less for the same amount but its happening.
They can't. If you can't find a new tenant and you move out, the only recourse she has is to file against you in small claims court. A landlord is not allowed to "double dip" and she can only sue you for any rent that she lost between the time you left (or stopped paying rent) and the time she re-rented the unit. And, as mentioned earlier, she has to prove that she's mitigated her damages. Just because she's been getting away with this nonsense doesn't make it legal and she's only been getting away with it because nobody has challenged her.

First things first - get some ads going.

Old 04-17-2012, 03:17 PM

The lease says "Upon vacating prior to the expiration of the term, this agreement shall remain enforced in full, with all monies and future rent (through the end of the initial term) immediately due and payable."

So, I guess they can/are double dipping since I signed the lease.

Old 04-17-2012, 03:43 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,620,294 times
Quote:
The lease says "Upon vacating prior to the expiration of the term, this agreement shall remain enforced in full, with all monies and future rent (through the end of the initial term) immediately due and payable."

So, I guess they can/are double dipping since I signed the lease.
What does your STATE LAW say on this?
Its said here many many times, does not matter what your lease says if your state laws say otherwise. So read your state laws and that will explain what the landlord can and can not do. If the landlord said that upon early termination you owe them a camel and 2 elephants plus 20 kg of cocaine, do you think that will hold up in court even if you signed it?

Old 04-17-2012, 03:50 PM

Go to the first "sticky" on this forum page and see if your state is linked there. If not, google, "(your state) landlord tenant laws" and start reading. As you are being told, your LL cannot legally double dip and cannot make demands which state laws supersede.

Old 04-17-2012, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
What does your STATE LAW say on this?
Its said here many many times, does not matter what your lease says if your state laws say otherwise. So read your state laws and that will explain what the landlord can and can not do. If the landlord said that upon early termination you owe them a camel and 2 elephants plus 20 kg of cocaine, do you think that will hold up in court even if you signed it?

State law says they have to mitigate their losses and I would be responsible for the rent until it is rented....however they also have a notation for "early termination fees" that allow the renter to get out of the written contract which is what this would fall under...so technically they can charge me what ever they want in order to get out of the contract.

Old 04-17-2012, 04:27 PM

819 posts, read 3,200,976 times
Quote:
She is even being a stickler with the no guests for more than 3 days...but since my son is a child she is allowing him to stay for 2 weeks max or my mother loses her lease.

Check your state laws - in some states - this does not apply to family members.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting