Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 03:47 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,018,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seandulac View Post
Your renting an illegal unit. The unit is illegal because there is no mailbox. If you want a mailbox then you have two options:
1 - work with your LL and get the unit legal (at least as mail goes).
2 - accept the illegal status of your rental the same as the day you moved in, and get another mailbox as a rental.

You can also move into a rental which is legal, including a mailbox. If you want to do that then you can later, after you move, take your LL to small claims court. You can sue for all the "rent" you paid to him and his illegal rental. Whatever rental agreement (contract) you signed with him, he has violated it as the unit he rented you is illegal. As such your end of that contract (the rent you have paid) would be due back to you. You are not liable for illegal contracts, even if at the top of the contract is written "lease".

Not having a mailbox does not mean a unit is illegal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2015, 04:03 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seandulac View Post
1. The unit is illegal because there is no mailbox.

2. You can sue for all the "rent" you paid to him and his illegal rental. Whatever rental agreement (contract) you signed with him, he has violated it as the unit he rented you is illegal. As such your end of that contract (the rent you have paid) would be due back to you. .
1. WRONG.

2. WRONG. Even if you DO live in what turns out to be an illegal rental (i.e. a converted basement or garage for which a Certificate of Occupancy was never issued) and are forced to move, courts do NOT return to you all rents paid.

Old 09-06-2015, 01:46 AM

1 posts, read 763 times
I live in an apartment and i just found out that their sorting through our mail is that legal

Old 09-06-2015, 03:46 AM

3,461 posts, read 4,702,236 times
More info would help.

Who is sorting through your mail, how are they getting access to it, how do you know for sure that they are sorting through it and are they opening it or just sorting through it?

Also, do you have a locked mail box and if so, who has keys to it?

Let's start there...

I doubt it is 'illegal' for anyone to just sort through your mail however if they are opening it and/or taking any of your mail that is another story. But answer the questions above so we know what is going on and how you receive your mail, etc.

Last edited by Corn-fused; 09-06-2015 at 04:06 AM..

Old 09-06-2015, 04:07 AM

11 posts, read 17,564 times
I can see someone opening someone else's mail by mistake, but actually endorsing a check made out to someone else is really bizarre,. It's odd that someone would be so absent minded to not look to whom the check is made out to or from who it's being sent or why.

Old 09-06-2015, 04:24 AM

3,461 posts, read 4,702,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50others View Post
I can see someone opening someone else's mail by mistake, but actually endorsing a check made out to someone else is really bizarre,. It's odd that someone would be so absent minded to not look to whom the check is made out to or from who it's being sent or why.
I think you are responding to an older post. A new poster just added a new question above my post.

Old 09-06-2015, 05:31 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,018,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimestry View Post
I live in an apartment and i just found out that their sorting through our mail is that legal

Sorting is one thing; opening is another.

If they are only sorting it, it's not illegal. If they are opening it, it is.

Old 07-21-2016, 02:39 PM

1 posts, read 539 times
Maybe the problem is that you need to move. It sounds like you have underlying issues with trust, and the landlord. I don't like to get my mail opened either, accidentally or otherwise. I would think a landlord would have enought sense to 'read' their own name. I don't think it was an accident. I think he or she is nosey. Talk to your mail carrier in person and they will deliver it to the back. Mine did. Have a great day, and to eveyone who tried to make you feel bad, or say it's not a big deal... don't let it make you feel bad, it's a federal offense to open another person's mail ... period. Also, who wants to pay for a PO box on top of outrageous rent prices, and then have to add, just another thing to the list of ***t we all have to do, in the first place.

I think try to talk to the carrier, explain your plight and tell him, you had mail that was 'accidentally opened,' and he or she if they are nice will deliver it the back of the house. Also, consider asking the landlord to list your address. It's not a big deal to do that in most cases. The Post office will list the address as a half. Like 6905 1/2 then the mail will come right to you. Shame on everyone who made this person feel bad! Compassion should go into play for the person who has been violated, whether accidental or not. Good luck with your snoopy landlord! xo from Cali.

Old 07-21-2016, 03:30 PM

983 posts, read 1,180,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songpeddlar View Post
Maybe the problem is that you need to move.

SNIP
I am pretty sure she has moved .... seeing as how this thread was started 5 YEARS AGO !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting