Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2012, 04:22 PM

2 posts, read 6,658 times

Advertisements

i just moved into a aprtment in bellevue. Its older and the only thing that is new is the paint on the walls. We plan on staying here for a few years. Its a small complex. Has nyone doen updates that improve the unit like painting the kitchen and bathroom cupboards. I was planning on looking at the costs and presenting it to the landloard. I would pay for the upgrades but would the landloard reimburse me later ? just wanted to ask before i present this to him. hanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2012, 05:22 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,666,349 times
This is a question that really needs to spelled out in writing with your landlord. Most landlords prefer to do the work themselves, or hire it out themselves as they can keep consistency in their units. Smaller buildings might be different. Just make sure you have everything in writing as to reimbursement. When I managed rental homes, I was OK with tenants making improvements and I reimbursed them within certain limitations. A larger building or complex I would guess would be much more difficult to do such.

Old 04-22-2012, 07:55 PM

56 posts, read 143,079 times
Definitely get everything in writing. But don't be surprised if the landlord would prefer you outsource to a professional instead of DIY. An obvious DIY job that looks sloppy or unprofessional will lower the value of the unit. I have no idea if you plan on doing it yourself, but just wanted to throw that out there. I've seen some pretty bad DIY jobs on painted cabinets, and if I were a landlord, I'd worry about having to get all of it redone later.

When I rented a small house, my landlord was okay with me upgrading (adding cabinets where there were none, and changing the ancient toilet for something new and water efficient), and even split the cost of landscaping, in addition to fully reimbursing us for several items (and we were okay with just paying for some of the things as well, since we also benefited).

Since what you're doing is just paint, I can't imagine it would be that big of a deal. Just get everything in writing to protect yourself so later they can't claim you "damaged" the unit (especially if the complex gets sold to someone else)

Old 04-24-2012, 12:39 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Paint is generally not an upgrade... just part of maintenance.

Often what the resident will see as an upgrade is the opposite in the landlord's view.

Painting seems simple enough until a mess has been made or incompatible paint used... such as latex of oil enamel or painting stained hardwood cabinets... etc.

At one property I managed... the tenant got quite upset when he was charged to remove an entire wall of 12 x 12 mirrors... the adhesive damage the wall and it took a lot of work to straighten out... this tenant also painted the fireplace and the owner of the property was livid.

Any alterations need to be approved in writing for your own protection.

On the other hand... I have had some with really green thumbs... they turn a drab landscape into something very beautiful... so much so, the owner reimbursed one tenant all out of pocket costs, let the lawn service go and lowered the tenant's rent by the amount the service had charged... eventually, the tenant bought the home when the owner was considering selling... a win/win.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:55 AM

912 posts, read 5,261,323 times
Back when I was a beginner landlord, I allowed a tenant to repaint the living room and kitchen because they didn't like the color we had chosen.

They ended up throwing cheap, baby-poop color paint on the wall, ignoring all the edges and corners while painting only half the trim.

Granted, their entire security deposit paid to fix the damage, their lease wasn't renewed and I learned a very valuable lesson.

"Most people DIY is crap, and I will not allow it at my properties."

Old 04-24-2012, 10:17 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,478,357 times
If it truly is an upgrade, and it will be professionally done, the LL might split the cost with you. But they don't have to.

They could:
1. Turn you down flat and say you can't do it at all.
2. Tell you you can do it at your own expense, and it becomes part of the property when you move out.
3. Tell you they don't consider it an upgrade, so you can do it at your own expense if you return it to original condition at the end of your lease, also at your own expense.
4. Love that you are doing it, and offer to pay for some or all of it

We've done all of those, depending on the circumstances and the desired work.

For examples
1. We've had tenants who wanted to tear out part of the yard and put in a garden area, which for a rental property, is not very desireable, as the next tenant would probably rather have lower maintenance, and we would have to bear the cost of returning that garden area to yard.
2. We've had many tenants who wanted to put shelving up in the garage, which we allowed if they left it (it is a lot of damage to repair if they take the standard down We've also had lots of tenants who wanted to plant flowers in the yard, which is fine as long as they don't want to dig them back up when they move out.
3. We've had tenants who wanted to paint weird colors. They had it professionally done and it was a great paint job, but rerenting it with those colors will be practically impossible, so they must return it to original colors at move out. We've also had tenants stain kitchen cabinets (without permission) and it cost a lot of money to have the bad DIY job sanded off and have everything refinished and restained.
4. We've had tenants want to do everything from upgrading toilets, fans, light fixtures, and even appliances and air conditioning units. In some of those cases we shared the cost, and in some cases, we paid the whole thing, if the tenant was a good tenant we didn't want to lose.

Back to your specific question, first thought would be whether the cabinets are painted or stained now. If they are stained and you are wanting to paint them, for me, that would be a #1, flat out no! If they are already painted, and look fine, but you want a different neutral, acceptable color, that would be a #2 for me. If you wanted a weird color, that would be either a #1 or #3, depending on my mood, and whether you were willing to pay an additional deposit. If they are painted, but in poor condition, and you were going to have them professionally done, I might be willing to pay some or even all of the cost. So even for your one example, my answer would depend on the circumstances.

Old 04-24-2012, 11:15 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,375,581 times
If one of my tenants were to paint over unpainted wood cupboards they would end up getting ZERO back from their security deposit and more than likely get hit with a bill from me after they move out. The reason is the VT lead paint laws which require special maintenance on all painted surfaces. If something was not painted before, it does not require the maintenence. As soon as it is painted it requires maintenence.

So I would have no choice but to hire a contractor certified for lead abatement to remove the paint, which is expensive.

As far as painting walls and trim, most tenants stink at it. Very few remove outlet covers and switchplates etc. I've also been "nice" and after a tenant moved out wondered if they had painted in the dark. Wall paint was slopped all over the trim. So basically I am done letting tenants "upgrade."

Old 04-24-2012, 01:50 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
The only answer to the question is to talk to your landlord.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting