U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 05:14 PM

1 posts, read 14,894 times

Advertisements

Hi. I am in an extremely tough situation, being that I live in Los Angeles in a two bedroom/two bathroom apartment - I have the 2nd bedroom & a couple (he is 30, she is 22) live in the master bedroom. I am 19 years old and this is the first time MY name is on a lease, and I am very happy with the apartment itself & very capable of paying rent/utilities in their entirety.

The couple helped me out about 9 months ago when I was in the process of moving back to the area, and I stayed in their studio apartment for about a month. While I was there, they informed me their lease was up at the end of the following month, and suggested we all move into a 2 bedroom together. Thankful for the help, and happy to not be living alone I agreed and we found a really amazing, very big place for $1600 a month. The female half of the couple and I are the only 2 on the lease, because his credit (apparently) would make getting approved more difficult (she also has some credit issues so we actually got denied at our first choice building, before finding the one we are in now).*
I paid all of the move in costs (somewhere near $4200) as a thank you for everything they had done for me, and then we VERBALLY agreed to split rent and utilities (about $350-$400 monthly) - so individually I would be paying $1000 and they would each be paying $500 monthly. She makes minimum $1200 a month and he makes MIN $1500 monthly. They were short (by over $500) the first 2 months, and I covered their parts of the rent - listening to their excuses and feeling bad because they were close friends of mine and I was in the position to be capable of paying for them. We sat down and discussed the problem and they agreed to pay weekly, because they claimed the issue was coming up with the large sum of money at the end of the month.

They each paid their part for 2 consecutive weeks, and then stopped. Since then, I have seen maybe $800 from them, combined, and it has been another 3 months. The utilities and internet and TV are all in her name, but I have been paying them because, well, clearly I need to use the utilities and can not afford to have them shut off.*
After 3 months of living in the apartment (it has now been 7) I started telling the male half of the couple that because he is not on the lease, if he does not pay, he must leave. Three separate "pay by" dates came and went and he refuses to leave the apartment, claiming he has squatter's rights, etc. The female half will not agree to take her name off of the lease, even though I would be able to get approved to have the apartment in my name alone (and then hopefully find a responsible roommate to take their place). I went to my landlord to see if I could pay my way out of the lease somehow (hoping I could pay the next two months rent or something and just get my own place alone) but she said there was no way to do that. Every time we discuss anything, both of them laugh at me, knowing that they will not be paying rent or leaving any time soon. They have bought new cellphones, gone shopping for new clothes, spent days and days sleeping while I work minimum 12 hours a day every single day. I do not want to leave friends out in the cold but I cannot afford the emotional stress of both of them now treating me badly & the financial INSECURITY of supporting two other people & I do not want to ruin my credit by just walking out on the apartment or allowing their lack of rent to get ALL of us evicted...

He has started cutting his hours at work, so that he is home more often, and is consistently and increasingly ruder and more hateful towards me, despite eating the food I buy, living in my apartment for free, and enjoying all of the new furniture I purchased a few months ago. I have no clue what to do, I know now that they are using me and I am not being selfish in wanting them to get out, but I feel so helpless it is pathetic. PLEASE PLEASE if you have any advice for me, share it.*I really do not want to let my credit get screwed the ways theirs is, especially now seeing how much it can effect chances of getting a place to live.

Thank you so much for reading all of that.
Will be waiting anxiously....
Cassie
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 05:22 PM

12,152 posts, read 7,486,599 times
Since he is not on the lease he has no legal right to live there.

I suggest you spend a couple hundred dollars on an attorney and issue her a demand letter. Discuss what options are available with respect to him. He is technically trespassing since he is not on the lease.

While there, draft a formal agreement between you and her as co-executors of the lease. Take a copy of the lease you signed. You may end up getting the sheriff involved before its over.

I've owned rental property for years and these things happen. If you are honest with the landlord he or she should work with you.

Most important is to protect your rights and your credit at all costs. They will use you if you let them. Don't let them.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:25 PM

6,537 posts, read 8,339,276 times
Did you have them sign any agreement with you regarding their share of the rent, and how it is to be paid?
If you did, then proceed with the eviction process by giving them a three day pay or quit notice., followed by an unlawful detainer that you can file downtown at the superior courts building.
If you have no signed agreement, my advice would be to get an attorney.
Bob.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:57 PM

32,235 posts, read 35,606,973 times
Talk to your LL again about taking over the girls part of the lease and having everything in your name. Then kick them the hell out.

Old 04-24-2012, 08:45 PM

14 posts, read 38,373 times
Unfortunately, if you are both on the lease, then you are responsible for rent as a group.

Speaking practically, you should forget about trying to keep the apartment and focus your attention on trying to get out rather than staying. These people are taking advantage of you and you need to put a stop to it.

Getting them off the lease may take weeks to months, all the while they will be stealing from you. And when/if you are finally able to get them to leave, don't expect them to go quietly as they will probably steal all your stuff and destroy everything else. Even if they go, they still know where you live and you are an easy mark.

You should speak to your landlord about your situation and suggest a buy-out of your portion of the lease. If your landlord doesn't agree to this, then ask if they are willing to use their eviction services on your roommate. If there are no options from your landlord, then you need to speak to a lawyer as people have stated above.

Old 04-25-2012, 05:22 AM

24,671 posts, read 62,115,143 times
Get an attorney - yesterday. Your fellow tenant obviously isn't going to cooperate and neither is your landlord so stop messing around, and find an attorney who specializes in landlord tenant issues. Good luck.

Old 11-03-2012, 08:28 AM

1 posts, read 13,883 times
First of all you said you don't want to throw friends out on the street, these people are not your friend. They are being bullies, and if you let people they will walk all over you. I had a very similar experince with an impossible big bully rooomate. Obvious these people are not physically afraid of you so you need to use your brain to fight. But first of all you need to plan a good defense because you don't want things to backfire. Now if you are afraid of your stuff being stolen or damaged then rent a small storage unit for $50 and put your valuables in. Now the goal is not to force them out, you make it so they want to leave. Right now thy have no intentions of leaving cause they have all the luxuries they need and they don't have to pay for them. They are parasites so you have to sour the milk. Now this means you might have to rough it for a little bit. Cancel anything in your name utilities, cable, internet, and stop paying her bills. If you need to use internet then to to the library or buy wireless for your own computer. Now this loser cut back his hours at work, he isn't going to be having any fun sitting home all day with no temp control, lights, tv, internet, electricity. This way they cant get mad at you. All you say is you can't afford it all your money is going to rent. Tell them if they want everything turned in they need to put it in their names and pay it. now if they don't leave I can gaurantee they will pay for the utilities.

Old 11-29-2012, 01:04 PM

1,882 posts, read 2,987,757 times
i would just call the cops. the guy is trespassing, he is not on the lease, there is no such thing as squatter's rights in los angeles, and this "spend money get a lawyer" business isn't gonna nip in the bud. if you get rid of him it will get rid of her too. anyway, i have a feeling that they are up to no good and probably don't want any cops around. people don't act like that and not have something shady going on. if you can handle all the rent and utilities, then why worry about your credit? talk to your landlord. be honest. then call the cops.

Old 11-29-2012, 11:04 PM

8,337 posts, read 15,853,077 times
Low cost initial consultation with Los Angeles Bar Association Lawyer Referral Service - call them immediately.

While waiting for the appointment, put into a safe deposit box or with a real friend anything of value.

These people are not your friends - maybe they once were. They are using and abusing you. Do not pay the utilities, neither of them want to be without either. Find another apt ASAP - and do NOT leave a forwarding address, except with the landlord. Inform anyone who needs to know of your new address but do not leave a forwarding address with the post office, make it a pick-up at the post office or get a box. Do not leave any trail where these two jerks can find you - they sound like trouble.

Old 12-02-2012, 06:59 AM

16,081 posts, read 21,284,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
Low cost initial consultation with Los Angeles Bar Association Lawyer Referral Service - call them immediately.

While waiting for the appointment, put into a safe deposit box or with a real friend anything of value.

These people are not your friends - maybe they once were. They are using and abusing you. Do not pay the utilities, neither of them want to be without either. Find another apt ASAP - and do NOT leave a forwarding address, except with the landlord. Inform anyone who needs to know of your new address but do not leave a forwarding address with the post office, make it a pick-up at the post office or get a box. Do not leave any trail where these two jerks can find you - they sound like trouble.
They seriously do. I agree totally w/ this. These pp are users. You are too nice to allow ppl like this to be in your life. They owe you for all the deposits, and tons of rent....Just do what you have to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or