Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 04:58 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times

Advertisements

Forever Blue: Pretty please, would you leave the font and color in preset mode? Your variations are fuzzy/blurred and hard to read. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 10:59 AM

8,411 posts, read 7,417,724 times
I'll have to ask if my new complex takes credit card for rent without charging it as a cash advance. I could use the extra mile points. My current apartment takes credit cards but it's a $20 fee.

Old 04-30-2012, 12:49 PM

12,767 posts, read 14,959,782 times
Singlelady10, let us know how you like your condo too. When do you move in? My complex will take credit cards & you can pay online...yay, the days of them saying they supposedly "lost" you rent check are over, which I've never had to go through personally.

I've seen a vacant unit of the floor plan I'll be getting, but my ACTUAL unit isn't ready to be walked through yet. I was able to complete & submit my rental application, rental app fee, & holding fee all online too!

STT Resident, ok, I'll keep it at this regular old boring font. For some reason this particular discussion board doesn't allow fonts to change size, so if it could be made bigger, it would be easier on the eye. I can do that on other boards I belong to.

EVERYONE, I posted this on a couple other boards I belong to, so I mightas well here too. Here's all my apt details:

Well...! I first started touring apts during this past Christmas vacation. I've passed by the complex for years on my way to work, but it's not that old. It's 10-15 minutes away from where I am now, so I definitely wanted to stay in this city. The complex has 467 units w/ 3 floors total, it's gated. I chose to be on the 2nd floor. I have a garage (as opposed to a carport). For those who care about this, it's got a Walk Score of 57. I've been keeping track of the price since the first week of Feb & I got it for just about the lowest it goes: $1135 + utilities. The highest I've seen is $1220. I got a teacher discount on my deposit and this complex counts a portion of your rent towards homebuying. It's 702 sq ft, which is alright. I used to be a lot more hung up on the square footage, but not so much anymore. I wish I had a bigger closet, but oh well! It's got a full size washer & dryer & all the appliances, a patio/balcony. They put on community events. My unit is not far from all the mailboxes, so I can walk to it.

I've been given my new address, which of course was already memorized after looking at it for a few seconds! The common area has: Clubhouse, business center, 2 pools, 2 spas, fitness center, & theatre/media room. Will I ever use those things? Probably not, but who knows.
For my area, the price I got it for is great & almost unheard of. I'm at an intersection w/ lots of stuff all around that I'm totally familiar with because I go to those places already.

It is going to feel so incredibly wierd when I actually move in, which is 10 days after my last day of work! But of course a FABULOUS wierd. Also, today, my parents just happened to give me some red carnations...just because & they didn't even know I was planning to get an apt today. Isn't that something?!

Now, who wants to give me $10,000 to furnish & decorate?!

Here's a few pictures:

The back of it showing one of the 2 pools next to one of the 2 spas. I'd show a front picture, which is even prettier, but it shows the street address & complex name.

My floor plan:

Billiard Room:

Media Room:

Regarding furnishings & decor, I've got a whole list I started months ago of things to get from where. I have 10 pages of typed items saved in Microsoft Word of things to get, stores I wan to shop at, & pictures for ideas. I love modern/contemporary, bold color, w/ some beachy/tropical style thrown in. I'm actually thinking of getting a red sofa.

Last edited by Forever Blue; 04-30-2012 at 01:58 PM..

Old 04-30-2012, 03:34 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
STT Resident, ok, I'll keep it at this regular old boring font. For some reason this particular discussion board doesn't allow fonts to change size, so if it could be made bigger, it would be easier on the eye. I can do that on other boards I belong to.
On your keyboard you can hold down the key between CTRL and ALT and press + to enlarge the whole page. An easy fix for those of us who can't read fine print ...

Old 04-30-2012, 05:25 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
And that's exactly the kind of place that I would never live in. I don't need all of those amenities, and you pay for them, even if you don't use them.

Old 04-30-2012, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
And that's exactly the kind of place that I would never live in. I don't need all of those amenities, and you pay for them, even if you don't use them.
I know I don't give a flying fig about the amenities, but in my area, ALL complexes have something, even if it's just a pool & a gym. I already belong to a 24 Hour Fitness, so I'll never use their funky, little gym. I also even told them I want my unit to be as far from the pool as possible.

I wish there was a way for those of us who'll NEVER use the amentities to pay a few hundred bucks less & the rest can pay, but I guess that will never be reality! Where I'm living now, my family & I don't even use our own dishwasher. To us, it's a waste to use all that water & time for a couple little dishes that you can quickly wash in a couple of minutes. We use our dhswahser to store bags, etc.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:15 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,682,095 times
Nice Forever Blue... congrats again & that is really a great deal.

I do love a red sofa (Nice Italian Sofa) as I have one from Nicoletti bought in Soho & have to wait 3 months for.
Nicoletti Italia.com - The Official Website -

Old 04-30-2012, 08:31 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
I would never live in apartment building at all. I don't like attached walls with people above me and on either side of me. I like having all my plants, and can walk outside with no steps. When I move, it'll be the same - a detached cottage.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:12 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,682,095 times
^^^Neither would I.
Through all my experience renting... SFH rentals is always better than "apartment living" stacked atop one another....
Buying, same thing. SFH is better than condos / townhomes.

But... if the whole point is to save money....
since it is rent, who cares where one stays so long it is safe.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:46 AM

Right, of course many people would probably love to have a SFH if they could. I know I would because I've been used to the space & privacy from neighbors my entire life from living in a SFH all this time, so I'm sure apt living will take getting used to...hopefully not to MUCH getting used to, but I'm moving away from home for the very 1st time, so I need/want my own place, yet I don't want to jump into being committed to a mortgage just yet.

I wouldn't care for a condo either when I'm ready to buy because they're just like apts, plus if you have bad neighbors, you're really stuck in it & can't just get out nearly as easily as renting.

hueyeats, thanks a lot & when I have time, I'll look at that site you posted.

Last edited by Forever Blue; 05-01-2012 at 08:00 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting