Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 07:32 AM

10 posts, read 29,318 times

Advertisements

So my landlord gave me use of a storage unit in the building. I have had property in there since August 2011, with a personal lock on the door.

Problem is: It was not their storage unit.

I came home the other day to find everything gone. The property manager said that because it was not my storage unit, he clipped the lock and threw everything out. With absolutely no notice.

My renter's insurance won't cover it the value of the belongings in that storage unit.

Has anyone had anything similar happen to them? I really don't know what my legal rights are here. Because the landlord screwed up, are they liable to me for the value of my possessions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 07:45 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,547,222 times
If you have proof that the landlord gave you use of the unit and you have documentation of what was stored in it then absolutely he's responsible for your losses. What did he say to you when you told him what had happened?

Old 05-01-2012, 07:51 AM

The only proof I have is the landlord showing me what unit to put my things in and the landlord watching as I put my lock on it.

The only response thus far has been they are going to talk to building management, who is claiming complete innocence in this situation.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:55 AM

912 posts, read 5,247,234 times
we clearly don't have all details, but to clip a lock and throw stuff away without notice...

I dunno.. but that's theft. Even if you didn't properly have documentation that you were allowed to use that storage, it was clearly under lock. At least put a notice up, wait a couple of days, and then clean out the space.

Any idea of a value amount of the stuff that was taken?

Old 05-01-2012, 08:06 AM

Yeah, around $1500. I recovered most if it by digging through the garbage, but obviously the expensive stuff was gone (only reason I put it in there was because my apartment was sold and there have been real estate agents, prospective buyers, cleaning people, repair men, home inspectors in and out and not always locking the door behind them).

The guy said he couldn't find any identifying information on the property (although there was luggage, with luggage tags and boxes with my name and address on them) and had his cleaning guys throw it all out. Its really fishy. There are no security cameras in the storage unit, or where they would have thrown out the stuff.

The no notice thing REALLY is what is pissing me off. That and throwing the things away instead of locking them up somewhere else. It just seems like theft. Police report has been filed but who knows if that will do anything.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:46 AM

You have proof that the LL gave you permission to use the unit. You have proof that the PMC allowed the unit to be broken open and your belongings dumped with no notice. You need to follow up with the local PD once you have the report in hand and you also have a very good case on the face of it for filing a civil suit against the PMC/landlord. Hopefully you took dated photographs of your "dumpster dive" and the items you retrieved from it. You need to be proactive here and document, document, document and with no more verbal interaction unless it's later confirmed in writing. It would also be a very good idea to write a return receipt certified letter to your LL/PMC stating all the facts (without any emotional embellishment) and asking them to immediately recompense you for the items disposed of and for the lock they cut. I know it's hard to set the anger aside but you have to deal with this quietly and professionally. Good luck.

Old 05-01-2012, 09:11 AM

17,574 posts, read 46,047,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
You have proof that the LL gave you permission to use the unit.
Does he? Sounds like it was all verbal.

Old 05-01-2012, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Does he? Sounds like it was all verbal.
It's unclear to me anyway whether the PMC and the LL are one and the same. When the OP says, "The only proof I have is the landlord showing me what unit to put my things in and the landlord watching as I put my lock on it", followed by, " The only response thus far has been they are going to talk to building management, who is claiming complete innocence in this situation" it's unclear whether the "they" is the landlord or the separate PMC. You can re-read my post prefacing the first sentence with an "if" but the main issue is that he needs proof and documentation to support any claim.

The OP also hasn't indicated whether or not he's spoken to the LL (if the LL is separate from the PMC) which would obviously be one of the first things to do.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:06 AM

LL and PMC are separate.

Spoken to LL. LL hasn't done anything about the situation yet, as LL understood that storage unit to be their property. However PMC is contesting that claim, saying it was another person's storage unit.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VArenter143 View Post
LL and PMC are separate.

Spoken to LL. LL hasn't done anything about the situation yet, as LL understood that storage unit to be their property. However PMC is contesting that claim, saying it was another person's storage unit.
Well that's good news as the LL is agreeing that he gave you permission to use the unit since it was his understanding that it was his to give. Excellent. I would say that under these circumstances you have a very good chance of being recompensed for some of your loss as, whoever is at fault, you certainly are not but have suffered damages. Please come back to the thread and let curious minds know what happens as this is an interesting scenario! Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting