Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2012, 11:05 PM

1 posts, read 1,918 times

Advertisements

Hi I'm hoping someone can help a bit with some questions I have as a tenant at a rental house in GA.
1) I didn't know what a lockbox was when I signed my lease but now I do. It was included in the lease that a lockbox would be put on the door for the last 30 days of my residence. I'm not comfortable with this can I get them to take it off?
2) This goes with the above but the LL also included in the lease that I'm just supposed to lock up my jewelry and they have no liability if something is stolen from the house while the lockbox is present. Is this legal?
3) The LL also says we have to pay a $45 fee every time we don't let them in to show the house with the 24 hour notice. They ask to come buy witb people almost everyday and sometimes my bf and I work late 2-3 days in a row and dont feel comfortable with people coming in while.we're not here. (Mostly because we have pets and I dont want strangers interacting with them while I'm gone) Is this fee legal? Do I have to let them in while I'm gone?
Any ideas would be very helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 05:18 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,669,000 times
First, read your state landlord tenant laws in the section which addresses LL showing the unit for sale/rent. If a link to GA's laws aren't linked in the first "sticky" on this forum page, just google, "GA landlord tenant laws". Most states require that a tenant be given "reasonable" notice which, if it isn't specifically addressed is generally taken by the courts to mean 24 hours. It's often noted that there is some right of "reasonable" refusal and rescheduling of showings.

I would be very uncomfortable with the lease stipulation about the safety of your personal belongings during showings, but unfortunately you signed to it. If that $45 fee isn't in your lease I think (unless your state law says otherwise) you can tell them to stick it.

It would probably be a good idea if, after reading your state laws, you contact an attorney who specializes in real estate law at least for an initial low-cost consultation. If that's not within your reach then your local Legal Aid office may be able to offer you some guidance. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting