Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2012, 03:16 PM

4 posts, read 50,316 times

Advertisements

I was in a year-long lease and after a few months I lost all of my sources of income. I wrote the LL a letter giving them 2 months notice that I would be breaking the lease early and leaving them with 2 full months rent (so they would only be missing 2 months rent). I moved out on 4/28 and left my keys. I got a court summons today that was dated 5/4 because they want the other 2 months' rent. Over the past 2 months I have googled apartment listings and craigslist like crazy, but they never posted anything about it being up for rent again. When I go to court is this a valid point to help my case?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2012, 03:30 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,681,995 times

I thought in PA, the courts recently ruled that a landlord does not have a duty to mitigate. So long as they don;t attemot to collect anything in advance or act in any way to acknolege and accept the early termination, they can let it sit even if someone is begging to move in. You will owe the rent as normal and all other terms of the lease still applies.

Old 05-07-2012, 03:46 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post

I thought in PA, the courts recently ruled that a landlord does not have a duty to mitigate. So long as they don;t attemot to collect anything in advance or act in any way to acknolege and accept the early termination, they can let it sit even if someone is begging to move in. You will owe the rent as normal and all other terms of the lease still applies.
I don't believe this is a new law in PA but one which has been in existence forever. It seems that under PA law, unless there is a specific clause in the lease which says that the landlord will make every effort to mitigate his losses (and this can and is upheld by the courts) the tenant otherwise is liable for the payment of rent for the remainder of the lease and the LL can basically sit on the place if he chooses. The only other exception is if there's a buyout clause for early termination.

Another good reason for tenants to understand their rights under their state landlord tenant laws and read lease agreements very carefully before signing them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting