Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 04:54 AM

841 posts, read 1,917,447 times

Advertisements

I personally don't like the sound of silence 24/7 and I have a lot more in my life to focus on than my neighbors, their kids, and their noise.

But now it's nearly summer everyone seems to have forgotten common courtesy.

I don't know if you guys have this where you rent but we have slamming doors, noise, drunken neighbors, what have you that start around 10 pm and go on all night.

One guy has a car alarm that goes off 3 am or 6 am or whenever and it's becoming a habit. Other people drive around with their windows down at all hours, blasting their car stereos.

Why doesn't anyone have any common sense about renting. After 10 pm, be quiet. Don't ratchet up the noise.

I'd like to say the mornings were quiet but just when you get to bed, there is someone getting up and going out at 5:30, 6:00 am revving a motor bike or slamming the door, in and out, blasting the radio.

Sunday morning they take their bike out for 5 minutes, wake up the neighbors, then come home, at 7 am. Why? Because you can? Or they are angry they have to go to work so screw everyone else?

Afternoons are filled with kids SCREAMING once they get home (I like kids playing but screaming till 8:30 pm?).

I'm glad we'll be moving next month but you have to wonder why people can't have some respect for their neighbors.

Sorry, had to rant a bit. Been up and down all night thanks to the neighbors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 05:41 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,018,824 times
And what's your landlord's take on the noise when you spoke to him/her about it?

Some cities (like mine) have laws in place that govern noise....parties, music, fighting all covered under this law. Ppl using their motorcyle or car to come and go isn't covered unless they have glass packs in their mufflers. Children playing at 2030 isn't covered either, they are children, they are playing, it's 2030 not 2300. Slamming door aren't covered either.

If the noise in your complex is as bad as you say, then you need to address with your landlord, but prepared, they may just tell you suck it up. If you think buying or renting a home in a single family neighborhood is the answer, I've got a really nice bridge to sell ya.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:39 AM

605 posts, read 2,147,545 times
Are you in a single family house or an apartment building?

Old 05-11-2012, 09:17 AM

2,266 posts, read 3,715,978 times
Do what I do. Call the local PD on them. After the police show up 2 or 3 times telling them to turn the music down, they start to get the idea. Especially when PD starts fining them for too many complaints. I own though, the neighbors in question rent.

Old 05-11-2012, 04:52 PM

1,015 posts, read 2,423,914 times
I agree that common courtesy is dead, and I agree with what Kim said about renting out a single family home. Even so there is no guarantees you'll avoid the noise though.

It sucks, but I would also recommend some ear plugs in the mean time. Not as bad as you might think

Old 05-11-2012, 07:19 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,214,700 times
I sympathize with you. I own and feel the same way. I find my neighbors to be noisy... not too the extreme you are describing, but I find ppl are just in general more discourteous these days. I have quiet folks on either side, but the neighbors on the other side of each has children....and it seems that they cannot be outside at all without screaming at the top of their lungs...happy playing, but screaming. It is so irritating, no such thing as quiet conversations in my backyard. This is something I am simply forced to endure, because truthfully my neighbors are nice ppl and I do not want hard feelings...but it still is irritating. I am the first one to grouse at my adult kids if they are playing their radio loudly in the car, and I have never let them play music loud enough for me to hear it outside as they grew up. So, gripe all you want, I don't blame you. Hopefully you will be moving somewhere quieter. Good luck on your new place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef.sunny22 View Post
I personally don't like the sound of silence 24/7 and I have a lot more in my life to focus on than my neighbors, their kids, and their noise.

But now it's nearly summer everyone seems to have forgotten common courtesy.

I don't know if you guys have this where you rent but we have slamming doors, noise, drunken neighbors, what have you that start around 10 pm and go on all night.

One guy has a car alarm that goes off 3 am or 6 am or whenever and it's becoming a habit. Other people drive around with their windows down at all hours, blasting their car stereos.

Why doesn't anyone have any common sense about renting. After 10 pm, be quiet. Don't ratchet up the noise.

I'd like to say the mornings were quiet but just when you get to bed, there is someone getting up and going out at 5:30, 6:00 am revving a motor bike or slamming the door, in and out, blasting the radio.

Sunday morning they take their bike out for 5 minutes, wake up the neighbors, then come home, at 7 am. Why? Because you can? Or they are angry they have to go to work so screw everyone else?

Afternoons are filled with kids SCREAMING once they get home (I like kids playing but screaming till 8:30 pm?).

I'm glad we'll be moving next month but you have to wonder why people can't have some respect for their neighbors.

Sorry, had to rant a bit. Been up and down all night thanks to the neighbors.

Last edited by JanND; 05-11-2012 at 07:28 PM..

Old 05-11-2012, 10:04 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,451,329 times
heh...i've been staying in a hotel since breaking my lease from our last apt and the noise from the children (as well as other issues)

we had it bad. normal conversation could be heard through the walls of the place so you can imagine the sound and vibrations from 2 children running up and down the hallways 10 hours a day. it was enough to make my wife break down in tears on more then one occasion after so many nights of not being allowed to get any decent sleep.

they even had a back yard all to themselves (when they bothered to even use it) but would choose the driveway that happened to be RIGHT UNDER OUR LIVING ROOM WINDOW....screaming children right in our windows...it was so fantastic!

confronting the people just ended up in them feeling discriminated against. they felt they had every right to be as loud as they wanted to be plus use the driveway as a play area "because they had children".

i honestly do not know how other people can just ignore the others around them for their own justifications.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:27 PM

584 posts, read 1,935,864 times
i am sure all you people was so quite and mouse like at all times when you was little children. oh wait children should be seen and never heard. but on loud music heard from one apt like it is in yours is another story . but kids playing outside. please i would reather hear the kids running and yelling in the yard than in the road and getting hit by a car

Old 05-12-2012, 08:21 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,110,026 times
Wow, so the only option for kids running and yelling in the yard is to do so in the street? Not only to play in the street but getting hit by a car. Such an extreme. There are parks and playgrounds specifically for children, imagine that. And there aren't cars just sitting down the street waiting for a child to play so that they can rev their engines and aim for the children.

I was a quiet child. I played in the park, and I walked there all by myself at 5 yrs old. Why not, we walked to school right past that playground. If we were too noisy in the playground, one of the mothers would come out and tell us to stop screaming.

Old 05-12-2012, 10:29 AM

8,779 posts, read 9,451,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendleton42 View Post
i am sure all you people was so quite and mouse like at all times when you was little children. oh wait children should be seen and never heard. but on loud music heard from one apt like it is in yours is another story . but kids playing outside. please i would rather hear the kids running and yelling in the yard than in the road and getting hit by a car

my parents never had children until they could facilitate them. it was never an issue for us. i dont mind NORMAL child noise personally...just not to the point where its all day everyday and knocking the pictures off my wall or in a shared space between units. such as the issue we had to deal with having them scream right into our windows when they had a full yard in the back of their space.

its a having respect for the others around you, not "children will be children" issue.

Last edited by rego00123; 05-12-2012 at 10:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting