Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2012, 12:05 PM

2 posts, read 5,932 times

Advertisements

I live on my own but my mother is renting an apartment with my two younger brothers. She is lost at what to do in this situation. My mother works a lot and goes to school full time so my brothers, 17 and 19, are home a lot by themselves. The apartment complex they live in is not in the greatest area and I would like to get them out, but they are stuck in a lease for another 10 months. This past weekend my younger brother came out to find a note on his car stating that if their dog was off the leash one more time they would come and get it and hang it with a noose, no cops involved. It was very threatening. Their dog is never out on its own and especially off the leash. Dogs are allowed in the apartment complex but this person obviously has a problem. I'm thinking that if this person would leave a note like this on a younger kids car, that he is probably out of his mind a little bit and who knows what he would be capable of doing. I was curious if receiving a threatening letter can terminate a lease. My mother is very conscerned with them being home alone now as if someone did come after their dog and the boys tried to defend it that they could get hurt as well. Please help, if there is a way to get out of a lease in this situation I am going to try to help them get out. On top of it two days later my little brothers car was broken into. Thanks you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2012, 12:15 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,881,476 times
Take the note to the management and ask if there have been complaints. Put into writing what you ahve said here and submit it to the management office...get a receipt.
I doubt it will get you out of the lease but documentation is the first step.

Old 05-15-2012, 12:20 PM

912 posts, read 5,259,053 times
Now lets be honest here...

are you looking for any way to get out of that lease?

I highly doubt that a threatening, anonymous letter would be grounds for breaking a lease. If that were the case, leases would be useless, as anybody can fabricate a threatening letter and present it to break their lease. So, while not sure, I'm going to go ahead and say that, no; a random, anonymous letter would NOT be enough to justify walking away from a contract.

If you are really worried about your safety, I'd make a police report ASAP. This will give you a paper-trail in case you have to defend yourself against an antagonistic neighbor.

Maybe this letter is a case of mistaken identity?? I get it all the time with my dogs, I swear I'm the only person on my neighborhood who is respectful enough to pick up after their dogs; and yet, people see me walk the dogs carrying a bag full of doogie-doodoo and they will STILL come out of their homes and try to start problems with me. Most people feel rather dumb once I talk to them for a few minutes, but still... there's one born every minute.

Old 05-15-2012, 12:48 PM

27,213 posts, read 46,728,178 times
No reason to break the lease....someone can make up a paper and break the lease if that was the case.

For the same reason the police is not doing anything until something happens...

Sorry if this is really true but no legal reason for breaking the lease.

Old 05-15-2012, 01:16 PM

2 posts, read 5,932 times
To be honest, I would love for them to get out of that area but my mom can't afford anything else for now so no there is no reason to break the lease otherwise. I do, however, fear for my little brothers. If something were to happen where someone came up and tried doing something to the dog and they defended the dog the person could maybe hurt them. I get what people are saying about "fabricating" a letter but I would never do that. The last words of the letter say your dog is dead, signed with a smily face... That to me is just messed up. I know if someone tried to hang my dog or hurt it then I would get involved and most likely end up going to jail for hurting them. Our laws are ridiculous in the fact that people get away with suing someone for getting hurt by your dog while breaking into your house or getting shot while breaking into your house. I am just worried that something could happen to the boys at this point that is why I am hoping to get them out of the lease.

Old 05-15-2012, 02:28 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,467,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertniv2 View Post
This past weekend my younger brother came out to find a note on his car stating that if their dog was off the leash one more time they would come and get it and hang it with a noose, no cops involved. It was very threatening. Their dog is never out on its own and especially off the leash.
Given these two statements, I don't know how you have a problem.

They are threatening to catch the dog next time it is out, but you say it is never out. Problem solved.

If they come after the boys, call the police immediately.

Old 05-15-2012, 03:00 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,678,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
Given these two statements, I don't know how you have a problem.

They are threatening to catch the dog next time it is out, but you say it is never out. Problem solved.

If they come after the boys, call the police immediately.
Exactly, it's that simple. An anonymous threatening note is in no way legal cause to break a lease. The boys at 17 and 19 are hardly children, either. There is obviously an ass in the 'hood but there are asses everywhere. If the dog is properly leashed when outside and isn't running free where's the problem?

Old 05-17-2012, 06:16 AM

18 posts, read 131,124 times
You cannot break your lease just because of someone dropped a piece of paper Infront of your door .If that may be the case This will be the easy escape from the lease .

Old 05-17-2012, 08:01 AM

12,767 posts, read 14,963,616 times
I would have of course NOT used my own hands/fingers when taking the note off my car (to preserve the fingerrpints of the perpetrator) & put it in a plastic ziploc bag & gone straight to the police even BEFORE the apt management. Have the police be aware of this, so it can be documented right away, then they'd probably wsay to report this to your apt management, which was going to be your second stop anyway.

Right before you go to the police, type up a paper of the date & time of day you found this note on your car. Alslo, make a list of any neighbors or others who you think may have a vendetta against you (& why they do if you know). Any other info you can give regarding this whole matter will also help.

I'd make sure I tell the police that I no longer feel safe at all & fear for my life in the apt, but have 10 mos to go & ask the police what you should do. The police has higher authority that just some apt mgmt, so I'd be talking & listening to them more.

Good luck & I'd like to hear how this all turns out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting