Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 04:28 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,567,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smith03 View Post
Now for the question. My wife and I would like to move into the colonial house after a total remodel. We don't have the money for that so we would need a mortage. In order to do that we need the property in our name. How can we go about getting the property into our name?
This is a forum which discusses general landlord tenant issues and for this question you should consult with a realtor or real estate attorney. You "get a property in your name" by purchasing the property.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 01:19 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,643,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic78 View Post
Does anybody know the history regarding eviction laws and why they favor the tenant? Of course, I understand that there are some crappy landlords out there who are just bad. What about situations in which tenants just don't pay rent. Or they don't leave when their lease is up?

I also don't get why landlords have to pay to move abandoned property, store it, etc. That is ridiculous.

We are trying to close on our new home. The renters living there haven't paid rent for many months (about $30,000 in rental arrears and fees). Their lease has expired, and they just won't leave. It has gone to court, now we are waiting for the warrant for posession. We were supposed to close over a week ago. It is seriously screwing up our selling our home. It is really screwing up everything, but the law protects them. Just don't get it.
The laws usually favor landlords when a person is a tenant, and favor the tenant when they are landlords. So who they favor is usually based on who you are.

I find most laws on landlord tenant issues are pretty simple, some of the easiest to understand laws written. they are even simpler to enfoce on wither side and not very complicated. When rpoblems arise is usually cause someone is making making up what they thinkt he law should be and assumning what they want is what the law will support, NOT SO.

No tenant can reman in a place for long time when they stop paying rent. Often when its a long time is because THE LANDLORD DIDN"T TAKE ACTION when the problem happened. They waited so they are the one who is dragging this out, not the law and not the tenant. I bet if yuo listed the timeline you would see that the tenat screwed up and the landlord din;t do squat legally.

I think back to the post where someone asked what to do when a good tenant didn't pay rent, and my answer was that if they have not spoken to the LL already about this, start the eviction process. A LL can always stop the eviction process, but they can start what they didnl;t start if things turn out worst.

So what date did the tenant stop paying and what date did the landlrod take action? bet there is a delay or the LL screwed something up and had to restart the process.

Old 05-14-2012, 01:46 PM

28,110 posts, read 63,531,084 times
One company I worked for had a policy to prepare 3-day notices on the 6th for any rents outstanding with nothing prior agreed upon.

So... Rent due on the First, Grace through the Fifth, 3-Day on the Sixth...

They explained to tenants it was not personal and as the management company their duty is look out for the owner's interests.

Many times threads will start off asking how to get a problem tenant out and the tenant is already in arrears for several months.

A manager/owner that is an enabler has little to complain about.

Old 05-14-2012, 11:52 PM

8,781 posts, read 9,427,520 times
jeez...i feel bad when i leave a trash bag on an off pick up day when i move form a place. i must be a saint compared to some people
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting