Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 02:56 PM

3,378 posts, read 9,209,035 times

Advertisements

I left the state where my home is located to find work and rented my house out.

Looks like I am coming back to the city where the home is located. I would like to move back into it but it is leased through February 2013 and I am using a property manager.

Is there anything wrong with giving the tenant the option of terminating the lease early at no cost to them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2012, 02:57 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Wrong how?

Old 05-13-2012, 02:58 PM

It is my house and I suppose I can tell them to leave but it does seem very unfair to do that.

Old 05-13-2012, 03:00 PM

45,383 posts, read 60,575,206 times
You may have to sweeten the pot, pay them a bonus to move or waive the rent or something similar.

What is Plan B if they don't take you up on your offer?

Old 05-13-2012, 03:00 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wankel7 View Post
It is my house and I suppose I can tell them to leave but it does seem very unfair to do that.
Wait, what? How did we get from giving them the option to kicking them out??

Old 05-13-2012, 03:01 PM

45,383 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
You can evict them with reason, but if they have a lease and are fulfilling the terms you have no standing to do so.

Old 05-13-2012, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Wait, what? How did we get from giving them the option to kicking them out??
We didn't ... I misspoke...I would not do that unless they were willing to leave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
You may have to sweeten the pot, pay them a bonus to move or waive the rent or something similar.

What is Plan B if they don't take you up on your offer?
I would rent an apartment short term until their lease is up .

Old 05-13-2012, 03:37 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,671,195 times
Quote:
I left the state where my home is located to find work and rented my house out.

Looks like I am coming back to the city where the home is located. I would like to move back into it but it is leased through February 2013 and I am using a property manager.

Is there anything wrong with giving the tenant the option of terminating the lease early at no cost to them?
Nothing wrong with that. But as was said you can't force them out without a valid reason if that doesn't work. Though if they want to leave and you want to come back no issue there.

Old 05-13-2012, 05:55 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
We recently had it and the owner was very unreasonable. As the property management company we suggested to offer moving costs and we could find the tenants another place to rent...but the owner felt he was entitled to move back in without spending money and was upset that the lease was only mentioning a lease break fee for tenants to break the lease.

We informed the owner to offer the same as the lease break fee but he felt that was unreasonable too. In the end the owner went a couple of times to the property unannounced and walked around on the property and that made the tenants move out faster. We had arranged for another property to move to which we also manage and we moved the security deposit over. The only thing the owner agreed upon was to give some money towards the non-refunable pet fee back since they had to pay this amount again within one year due to him wanting to move back.

After the tenants moved out the owner came with all kind of deductions towards the security deposit that he wanted but we already had moved the money over and we had proof of pictures there was nothing other then reasonable normal wear and tear. The owner also wanted money because the home smelled like dogs......

Now a few month's after the owner was upset with us, but the tenants are happy with the way we handled it...the owner appologized for his behavior which was due to stress according to the owner. At least he appologized and we are happy we handled it the right way

Hopefully the OP will do the right thing since tenants can't help it when the owner wants to move back...offer moving costs and help them to find a new place.

Old 05-13-2012, 06:23 PM

Interesting story!

I figure I would be in a position to offer a bit of money in exchange for there early move out since that will save me money in the long run. I wouldn't pay their moving though since they would have to move anyways since the lease would not be renewed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting