Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 11:22 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,627,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foodmuse View Post
I've lived in a rented house for 31/2 years now. The people next door smoke outside on their porch, (also a rental). In the spring and summer I have to keep the door and windows closed because of their smoking. I feel very outraged by it at times, as I should like to enjoy the breeze that naturally flows through the house but, cannot when they are lighting up.
I don't think it's fair that I should have to keep everything closed up because I don't want "their stink" in my house.
I'm up to here with this. From Pa, and wondering if anyone has dealt with this issue?
No offense but I think you should get over it. Their property (obviously their LL doesn't care about their smoking), their decision.

If you have such a problem with it, either get box fans and turn them around so the air goes out and not in, or move.

You rights only go so far as your property line IMO. They are doing something LEGAL on their property, not your call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
But that is the problem he's complaining about: closed windows and no breeze. Also not being able to enjoy HIS outdoors.

As a former smoker, OP, I apologize. I was once one of those who didn't understand how pervasive the smell of smoke is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
They should make it at least 15 yards from the building "no smoking"!
In public areas, maybe. In private areas like someones HOME, stay the hell out of it! (IMO that goes for bars as well. It should be up to the BAR OWNER what they allow)

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
It is a fine line between people people encroaching on your freedom and people losing their own freedom.

Old 05-17-2012, 12:06 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Quote:
I'd like to know what the "field" thinks of non-smokers rights?
You have the right, liberty and privilege to make your own decisions such as seeking out a place of residence where smokers will not interfere in your life. If you can't accept that responsibility that's your problem as far as I'm concerned.

Old 05-17-2012, 12:30 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
I smoke on my own patio in my own backyard every single day.

If someone came up to me and complained about it, I'd laugh in their face. I listen to other peoples' dogs barking, their children playing, smell their barbecues, their cars, etc. People make noise and people make smells.

Deal with it.

Old 05-18-2012, 07:14 PM

10 posts, read 15,307 times
We have every reason to believe the hazard posed by electronic cigarettes would be much lower than 1% of that posed by [tobacco] cigarettes.

Old 05-19-2012, 02:44 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,086,429 times
Quote:
I'd like to know what the "field" thinks of non-smokers rights?
I've lived in a rented house for 31/2 years now. The people next door smoke outside on their porch, (also a rental). In the spring and summer I have to keep the door and windows closed because of their smoking. I feel very outraged by it at times, as I should like to enjoy the breeze that naturally flows through the house but, cannot when they are lighting up.
I don't think it's fair that I should have to keep everything closed up because I don't want "their stink" in my house.
I'm up to here with this. From Pa, and wondering if anyone has dealt with this issue?
MY nextdoor neighbor smokes in and outdoors all day and nite---am in pa too--everyone here smokes---must be a collective death wish people up here have

keep looking for a single house--that takes awhile--i have been looking for months

btw--if it is a he--we could introduce them and maybe they can ride off into a smoke filled sunset together(my wish for the chimney next door)

i also get to smell her weed,hash,and some other vile substance

Old 05-19-2012, 02:50 PM

45,378 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Some of you folks would have **** your pants today when the guy around the corner fired up his fish smoker.

Old 06-20-2012, 12:32 PM

726 posts, read 1,229,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Just one of the many things people have to deal with. What if one neighbor has young children that are often crying or making noise. And the other neighbor complains that they can't keep their window open or sit outside because of the noise.

It is a fine line between people people encroaching on your freedom and people losing their own freedom.
All those things apply, it's the stink I am complaining about.

Old 06-20-2012, 12:37 PM

726 posts, read 1,229,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post
MY nextdoor neighbor smokes in and outdoors all day and nite---am in pa too--everyone here smokes---must be a collective death wish people up here have

keep looking for a single house--that takes awhile--i have been looking for months

btw--if it is a he--we could introduce them and maybe they can ride off into a smoke filled sunset together(my wish for the chimney next door)

i also get to smell her weed,hash,and some other vile substance
Here's the best part, "they" say "he's dying of cancer", that's the excuse for their dog pissing on my plants in my front yard and any or every other thing that happens. When they first moved in my husband, (at my request) mowed their grass, fixed their screen door restarted the boiler, ect....

We are very carefully looking for the "right" house. In it's own derangedm way they have taught us what we don't want .

Old 06-20-2012, 02:42 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
Quote:
All those things apply, it's the stink I am complaining about.
I'm a vegetarian and to me the smell of meat cooking is sickening.

Next time one of my neighbors has a barbecue, I'm going to go to their house and make a total idiot of myself complaining about how their offensive odors are preventing my peaceful enjoyment of my property.

I'm sure they'll stop what they're doing right away, even though it's 100% legal, because I don't like the way it smells. Right?

Old 06-20-2012, 05:41 PM

86 posts, read 256,534 times
Look for landlords like me who do not rent to smokers - not people who will go smoke outside, just smokers period.

There are plenty of us out there. Just have to ask.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting