Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 09:29 PM

726 posts, read 1,229,381 times

Advertisements

I'd like to know what the "field" thinks of non-smokers rights?
I've lived in a rented house for 31/2 years now. The people next door smoke outside on their porch, (also a rental). In the spring and summer I have to keep the door and windows closed because of their smoking. I feel very outraged by it at times, as I should like to enjoy the breeze that naturally flows through the house but, cannot when they are lighting up.
I don't think it's fair that I should have to keep everything closed up because I don't want "their stink" in my house.
I'm up to here with this. From Pa, and wondering if anyone has dealt with this issue?

Old 05-13-2012, 09:45 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,020,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foodmuse View Post
I'd like to know what the "field" thinks of non-smokers rights?
I've lived in a rented house for 31/2 years now. The people next door smoke outside on their porch, (also a rental). In the spring and summer I have to keep the door and windows closed because of their smoking. I feel very outraged by it at times, as I should like to enjoy the breeze that naturally flows through the house but, cannot when they are lighting up.
I don't think it's fair that I should have to keep everything closed up because I don't want "their stink" in my house.
I'm up to here with this. From Pa, and wondering if anyone has dealt with this issue?
That sounds very frustrating ... I live in an apartment complex and used to have neighbors that smoked, which I could smell in my bathroom due to the thin wall Unfortunately, they had the rights to smoke in their own property/rental - Yes, it is unfair when the smoke encroaches your space but unfortunately, the smokers win in this case. I live in CA and we have strict smoking laws in public places but there is no law barring someone from smoking on their porch.

Old 05-14-2012, 06:57 AM

912 posts, read 5,260,722 times
Well, they are smoking outside, and within their property, and not doing it to make you mad.

Just think of what would you do if they were cooking instead. Or painting. Or engaging in any other activity that makes a smell. Sometimes, you just have to deal with it.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:35 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,483,864 times
keep the windows closed on that side of the house. problem solved.

Old 05-14-2012, 04:57 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,110,026 times
But that is the problem he's complaining about: closed windows and no breeze. Also not being able to enjoy HIS outdoors.

As a former smoker, OP, I apologize. I was once one of those who didn't understand how pervasive the smell of smoke is.

Old 05-14-2012, 05:15 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,478,357 times
As someone who is very very bothered by the smell of cigarette smoke, I totally sympathize. As for your rights, many states are becoming more and more strict about smoking laws, which is to the benefit of those of us who are bothered by it.

But in the meantime, your rights are as follows: You have the right to remove yourself from the presence of a smoker. You have the right to keep your windows closed. You have the right to rent a unit in a non-smoking building in the first place. You have the right to ask people around you not to smoke (and they have the right to say no). You have the right to ask your landlord to be released early from your lease because of the smoke smell (and he has the right to say no).

That's all I can think of, but there are probably more. Anyway, my somewhat facetious answer is just my way of saying that for right now, our main rights are to walk away, to choose not to associate with smokers, and to choose our place of residence according to our neighbors habits. Certainly not ideal, but it is slowly improving.

Old 05-14-2012, 05:16 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Some towns in California even have prohibition when smoking outside on your property depending on distance to the neighbors.

Might want to look into a smoke free building?

Old 05-14-2012, 05:48 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
They should make it at least 15 yards from the building "no smoking"!

Old 05-14-2012, 06:14 PM

726 posts, read 1,229,381 times
Thank you all for ur responces. I think it just sucks that they "only" smoke outside.
I smoked for 35 years, not bragging, just a statement: I didn't just go outside to project this crap on others. I tried never to exhale, hehehe...LOL
Still now; I really can't stand the stink of it. As was always the case, the smell of smoking will wake me up from a sound sleep. And it just happens my bedroom is in the front of the house. So even having the window cracked brings me to full consciousness if they, (one of two) need to light up in the middle of the night.
If they smoked inside, I'd still smell it, BUT, it would not be blowing into my space... And thats my point.
In light of all that, I /we are looking to buy a PLACE AND DUE TO THIS AND "OTHER" TYPE situations I/we have modified our requirements and will not buy anything attached or even within smoking distance to another.
I really hoped their was some sort of answer besides this. Certainly their are many people who must, for whatever reason, remain where they are.
Beems of Light to All, Foodmuse

Old 05-14-2012, 06:36 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,141,127 times
Just one of the many things people have to deal with. What if one neighbor has young children that are often crying or making noise. And the other neighbor complains that they can't keep their window open or sit outside because of the noise.

It is a fine line between people people encroaching on your freedom and people losing their own freedom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting