Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2012, 07:28 AM

360 posts, read 995,601 times

Advertisements

I have had a roommate for the last few years, and for the most part she's been decent but things have been going on in the last few months, (such as her allowing her boyfriend to stay overnight, every night, and them staying up late and making lots of noise since neither has a job) has prompted me to ask her to leave. She has agreed to do so at the end of the month, and she requested that she not pay rent for this month so she has money for her new place (even though it's a friend, so I don't see why she would need a deposit). I agreed to this, but now she seems to really be taking advantage of the situation, and this guy is there ALL the time, and is now taking showers there, and coming and going as he pleases. I do wish to stay on friendly terms with her, but I would really like to put an end to him coming there, or at least spending the night there. I can't really talk to her face to face because he's always with her, so I will have to call or text her, but would like some advice on how to word it as to not **** her off

Also, I need some advice on the lease, as she is on the lease too but I always pay the rent. Basically the landlord wanted her on the lease in case she damages the property. I have been writing the landlord requesting him to take her off the lease, but he keeps writing back that he's not sure how to handle it. But this seems like a common thing for rentals that have more than one person living there, how is this usually dealt with?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 07:38 AM

2,162 posts, read 3,364,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmana View Post
I have had a roommate for the last few years, and for the most part she's been decent but things have been going on in the last few months, (such as her allowing her boyfriend to stay overnight, every night, and them staying up late and making lots of noise since neither has a job) has prompted me to ask her to leave. She has agreed to do so at the end of the month, and she requested that she not pay rent for this month so she has money for her new place (even though it's a friend, so I don't see why she would need a deposit). I agreed to this, but now she seems to really be taking advantage of the situation, and this guy is there ALL the time, and is now taking showers there, and coming and going as he pleases. I do wish to stay on friendly terms with her, but I would really like to put an end to him coming there, or at least spending the night there. I can't really talk to her face to face because he's always with her, so I will have to call or text her, but would like some advice on how to word it as to not **** her off

Also, I need some advice on the lease, as she is on the lease too but I always pay the rent. Basically the landlord wanted her on the lease in case she damages the property. I have been writing the landlord requesting him to take her off the lease, but he keeps writing back that he's not sure how to handle it. But this seems like a common thing for rentals that have more than one person living there, how is this usually dealt with?
First of all, your landlord is an idiot. He absolutely should know the laws as they pertain to his position! Sounds like he is not being honest with you.

Second, this is exactly why I have always refused to have roommates after my initial foray into the idea in my 20's. People will always take advantage of others. Better yet, friends who become roommates will do so even more. Bad plan!

You kinda seem a bit passive with her. You actually do hold all the cards and can ask her to leave immediately-seeing as she is getting a month free ride. You are also not responsible to support a grown adult for any amount of time. Toughen up, honey.

Old 05-14-2012, 07:41 AM

276 posts, read 648,566 times
When I was in college, I lived at an apartment for over 2 years straight, with roommates coming and going. When a roommate was going to break the lease, we just went to the office and she would sign saying she was leaving the lease and I was taking over responsibility for the lease. Since my name was still on the lease, there was no "breaking the lease" fee. Then when I replaced the roommate, the new one would go with me to sign on the new lease. I also twice did a sublet where someone would stay for just the summer without ever being on the lease.

I lived in a pretty big apartment complex, so I guess the landlord was pretty familiar with how to alter the lease. I'm not sure why yours is having trouble removing your roommate from the lease but I hope you all can figure it out and relieve the stress! Good luck.

Old 05-14-2012, 07:50 AM

360 posts, read 995,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsbells View Post
When I was in college, I lived at an apartment for over 2 years straight, with roommates coming and going. When a roommate was going to break the lease, we just went to the office and she would sign saying she was leaving the lease and I was taking over responsibility for the lease. Since my name was still on the lease, there was no "breaking the lease" fee. Then when I replaced the roommate, the new one would go with me to sign on the new lease. I also twice did a sublet where someone would stay for just the summer without ever being on the lease.

I lived in a pretty big apartment complex, so I guess the landlord was pretty familiar with how to alter the lease. I'm not sure why yours is having trouble removing your roommate from the lease but I hope you all can figure it out and relieve the stress! Good luck.

I don't know what the big deal is either, I've emailed him several times over the last couple weeks and haven't gotten anywhere. And my roommate doesn't want to move out until she's off the lease, which I can understand because she doesn't want to be held responsible for something after she moves out. I just don't know what to do if the landlord keeps ignoring me, I really don't want to be stuck with this roommate! Seriously she is so rude. They are up all night laughing at the top of their lungs and opening and closing doors. I am sick of it. I know I need to tell her to get rid of the boyfriend first, but I just would like to do it in a way that isn't going to seem rude as I've been known to come across that way. I know she's going to throw it back in my face that I always have my girlfriend there, but the difference is she pays me to help cover the hot water and other utilities she uses, and my girlfriend isn't an abnoxiously loud laughing hyena!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting