Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2012, 06:54 PM

1 posts, read 2,242 times

Advertisements

Hello, thank you for your time. I am renting a garage apartment and discovered that I have been paying for the electricity used in the common areas (laundry room and outside plugs). The laundry room has an outside light that is on from dusk to dawn. The laundry machines are coin operated, so I have been paying $1.75 for each load, plus the energy costs. I can only assume that the outside plugs are used for multiple things, but I have seen my neighbors boat plugged into and charging from an outlet that I pay for. I am pretty well versed with all of my rights. I am unsure about how much to ask to be compensated for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 07:04 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlynnewman1 View Post
I am renting a garage apartment...
with it's own meter and your own bill each month from the power co?

Quote:
I am unsure about how much to ask to be compensated for.
If the answer to the above question is no... then you do nothing.
If the answer is yes... then contact the POWER CO for an assessment.

With that objective 3rd party information you approach the LL about an accommodation...
until he installs a meter for the common use areas.

Old 05-14-2012, 07:04 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,880,155 times
Ask the electric utility you have to give you a breakdown of expected costs for each appliance and/or light. The least they will have is a wattae cost. That way you can calculate the costs.

Old 05-15-2012, 12:35 AM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
This is why disclosure is so important because it protects all parties from entering an agreement with unknowns.

If should be easy to cap the amount because you have a monthly bill each month for total usage.

Sometimes, the simple approach is as a percentage and other times it can be a number arrived at by lengthy calculation.

My first item of business is what are you doing now? Are you still paying for common areas and if so... .why?

The simple solution would be for the Landlord to assume the cost going forward or install a separate meter and circuits at some expense.

The situations I know of became quite involved because it had been going on for decades and the dollar amount of "Theft" was significant....

Can you turn off the circuits pending a resolution?

All of the above is predicated on your rental agreement not disclosing you pay for common areas.

As a side note... some dawn to dusk lights might only use 50 cents of power a month... a boat charger tends to be very little too.

Big items are those that produce heat and/or have substantial motors...

The Laundry would be my biggest concern and especially if the Dryer(s) are electric models and not gas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting