Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2012, 07:00 PM

605 posts, read 2,146,460 times

Advertisements

We are in the process of purchasing a home in NJ with tenants who are being very difficult. It has gone to court, etc. We would like to get copy of the hearing, follow up appeals, affadavits, etc.

Is this public record? Can I just go to the court house and request a file?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2012, 08:22 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,389,968 times
UDs (Unlawful Detainer) do show up in public records. By stating that they are being difficult and that there have been hearings, etc...I am guessing that they are in this process.

If you have, or know someone who has access to Westlaw (usually an attorney has this) you should be able to find it there and see exactly where they are in the process. Generally, court records are public records...but there is always the possibility that something has happened in the case that would restrict it from public view. No way to say for sure without knowing what has happened in the case. A charming catch-22 I am aware.

I read this, but not closely:
New Jersey Forcible Entry and Unlawful Detainer Act
and it does not appear to state that UDs are sealed in anyway.

So, maybe read this closely, decide where you think they are in the process and go from there?

Or, as dealing with the courts can be less than enjoyable if you are not familiar with the system, it may be a good idea to pay an attorney for a couple hours of his time to find the information for you.

Old 05-26-2012, 12:29 AM

3,199 posts, read 13,391,020 times
Simply call the clerk of the court and ask if eviction hearings are available. Most have websites nowadays where you can search by name or case number. In our state, evictions are filed as kind of a hybrid small claims/eviction so the name of the type of case may not be "Eviction", so call the court and ask.

NJ Department of Community Affairs

Old 05-26-2012, 04:40 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,911,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic78 View Post
...with tenants who are being very difficult.
If you aren't already familiar with this term I assure you that the tenants are.
Do some reading:
Let me google that for you

Old 05-26-2012, 04:50 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,265,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic78 View Post
We are in the process of purchasing a home in NJ with tenants who are being very difficult. It has gone to court, etc. We would like to get copy of the hearing, follow up appeals, affadavits, etc.
Is this public record? Can I just go to the court house and request a file?
Thanks!
It should be public record? Only one way to find out, call the Clerk of Courts and ask. I can't understand why people want to stay in a home where they are being evicted? I would be nervous, especially if I was purchasing a home that someone didn't want to move out of, that they were doing harm to the inside of it. Also ask if there is any way you can stop them from destroying the inside prior to them moving. You might have to end up in a full blown court case over this; they will more than likely get fined and once again you will be in a struggle to get your money.
Good luck with this and make that call!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting