Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 08:51 PM

94 posts, read 246,851 times

Advertisements

When we first got our lease, the landlord had put a start date that was wrong. We moved in Aug 15th and he put the July 31 even though he hadn't moved out until Aug 10th. I caught it and he changed it. What I didn't catch was that it now says it's a one year's lease from Aug 15 ending Aug 31. That's 1 year plus 15 days.

At this point I don't know what we'll be doing but if we want to move can he say we're obligated to stay until the date stated which is wrong?

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2012, 10:01 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonno23 View Post
...says it's a one year's lease from Aug 15 ending Aug 31.
Have you been paying rent from the 15th to the 15th or 1st to 1st?
Bottom line? Write a nice letter to the LL to tell him which interpretation of the end date
you would prefer to have and ask him to acknowledge that in writing.

Old 05-28-2012, 10:23 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,390,696 times
Quote:
When we first got our lease, the landlord had put a start date that was wrong. We moved in Aug 15th and he put the July 31 even though he hadn't moved out until Aug 10th. I caught it and he changed it. What I didn't catch was that it now says it's a one year's lease from Aug 15 ending Aug 31. That's 1 year plus 15 days.

At this point I don't know what we'll be doing but if we want to move can he say we're obligated to stay until the date stated which is wrong?

Thanks,
Well, you signed the lease. Not to be harsh, but the lease should have been read thoroughly prior to your signature. You would have grounds if you could claim that it was a mistake on a material term, but 15 days of a lease that covers 380 days is 3%...likely you will not win claiming that it was a major material term.

Generally, a LL can set all terms in a lease and as long as they are legal (13 months vs 12) you won't get far. You could try, I guess, to take him to court to change it, but as it was a failure on your part to read the lease thoroughly especially as it was an area that you had already requested be changed, it is unlikely you will be able to recover any of your court costs.

Personally, I would say to just let it go if you are not able to talk him into changing it. Even if you move on the 15th of August of next year, if he changes the lease, you will still be paying rent somewhere. An additional 15 days is not that big a deal.

But, yes, you will be bound by the terms of the lease.

Old 05-28-2012, 10:29 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
Leases usually state what the entire amount of rent to be paid is. Assuming that amount did not change I'm not sure it is in your best interest to have the end date earlier.

Old 05-28-2012, 10:33 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,252,518 times
Quote:

Thanks,
I'm not sure that I understand the problem.

Some people have 8 month leases...some have 11 months and 28 days...some have 12 months and 20 days.

As long as you pay the rent up and until August 15th, no, you don't have to stay. You could have moved out the day after you moved in, as long as you paid the rent.

You ARE responsible and obligated to pay the rent through the 15th of August.

Old 06-16-2012, 07:03 PM

Ok, it's sorted out by default. He sent a new lease for another year with the corrected date on it. That and an 8% raise in the rent which I thought was pretty high especially since we put in a lot of work to make the house much better than it was. Well, silly me. Of course he wants more rent. It's much nicer now!

Also, I just wanted to say that 2 weeks extra or $1500 IS a big deal to me. Maybe not to some. Anyway, now we know.

Thanks again!

Old 06-16-2012, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Ok, it's sorted out by default. He sent a new lease for another year with the corrected date on it. That and an 8% raise in the rent which I thought was pretty high especially since we put in a lot of work to make the house much better than it was. Well, silly me. Of course he wants more rent. It's much nicer now!

Also, I just wanted to say that 2 weeks extra or $1500 IS a big deal to me. Maybe not to some. Anyway, now we know.

Thanks again!
Glad it is sorted out and hopefully lesson learned for the future. If it IS a big deal to you, then you should have read the lease thoroughly.

Old 06-16-2012, 09:32 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,392,021 times
It could quite simply be the policy of the landlord that all leases END on the 30th no matter when they started. We do the same thing. Occasionally if a person asks specifically to end on a certain date because they know they're re-locating, we will comply - not a big deal. But if they don't, all leases end last of the month. Your LL amended to your satisfaction but next time you sign a contract, read it first.

Old 06-17-2012, 01:01 AM

He's never rented before and he realized his mistake and changed it. I actually didn't ask him to.

And yes! lesson learned!

BTW, do you think 8% rent increase is steep? This is so much more than I've ever experienced. I would think that having tenants who do so much to care for their house where they weren't taking care of it would be worth something.

Thanks

Old 06-17-2012, 03:19 AM

The 8% may or may not be steep. It depends on what you are paying and the market rate in the area. I am in rent control and to get me to the same amount the apartment next to me is paying, they would need to do about a 25% increase (yay rent control stopping that from happening). So, really hard to know without knowing numbers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting