Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 10:45 PM

8 posts, read 16,808 times

Advertisements

...and he's blaming me for late rent (may's rent + security deposit) but has miscommunicated with me on several occasions about the exact amount. It's very odd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2012, 10:46 PM

He's blaming me for late rent (May move in rent + security deposit) but has told me different amounts for the deposit on several occasions and is now saying I owe him more money.

Old 05-28-2012, 10:50 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
Pay the amount that is on your application. If the LL questions it simply show him a copy of the application.

So how much did you end up paying that first month considering you sent an extra check? Was it the agreed upon amount or more?

Old 05-28-2012, 11:26 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,395,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicagates1980 View Post
State of Illinois
This is a site for renter's rights in Illinois. generally speaking Illinios and CA tend to be similarly bent toward tenant's and employee rights.

Illinois Security Deposits

In Illinios, there are no state set laws regarding amounts of security deposits. It says to check with your municipality. If you are in Chicago, it will likely be easier to find info on it than in the smaller areas of Illinios.

Illinois Security Deposit Limits and Deadlines | Nolo.com

I am not finding anything in Illinois that changes "normal" rules of subletting...you should be bound by the same terms as the amount of the original lease. If the lease has expired and the original tenant is month to month and sublet to you, that could create issue.

Here is a link to a pretty extensive listing of Illinios Real Estate Law

Illinois Residential Real Estate Law

I think your best bet at this point is the email I suggested. if he responds with terms that you question, contact the original tenant on the lease, the management company, etc.

Old 05-28-2012, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicagates1980 View Post
He's blaming me for late rent (May move in rent + security deposit) but has told me different amounts for the deposit on several occasions and is now saying I owe him more money.
Get him, as I advised, to put it in writing. Once he has done so, you can then effectively dispute the amounts, especially if they are in violation of the law. As he is not really being specific, there is not much you can do to enforce that he is breaking the lease.

Get it in writing. Go from there. Also, make sure that it does not include some sort of legally allowable rent increase. I have seen residfential leases that allow for an increase in rent within a year but still under the lease.

Get it in writing. If he is playing fast and loose and you demand terms to follow, he may stop.

Old 05-28-2012, 11:31 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
So does this arrangement mean you only have to give a 30 day notice? If it does you may want to seriously consider a new place.

Old 05-28-2012, 11:40 PM

Thanks everyone, will handle accordingly.

Old 05-30-2012, 11:21 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,435,519 times
Good Luck! I've found that people who seem disorganized are sometimes that way on purpose because it's profitable to them. Several people I've know whom you'd think were scatter-brained were actually very organized and intelligent -- but they used the appearance of being otherwise to get away with behavior that wouldnt normally be tolerated.

Old 05-31-2012, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
Good Luck! I've found that people who seem disorganized are sometimes that way on purpose because it's profitable to them. Several people I've know whom you'd think were scatter-brained were actually very organized and intelligent -- but they used the appearance of being otherwise to get away with behavior that wouldnt normally be tolerated.
I actually think that is what is going on here. Can't be sure, but "forgetting" to ask for the right amount seemed like a way to pocket money. The tenant sends the person the correct rent, the check is cashed and the owner gets the money. Then the person sends the "oops I forgot" and then keeps the money.

Old 06-04-2012, 10:01 AM

5 posts, read 123,911 times
@Jessica I think you have rcvd very good input from @thebunny and some others. Be appropriately suspicious and protect yourself with a clear paper trail (or electronic trail) of interactions. You indicated that you had initially paid in cash - I assume green paper money. Do you have a signed and dated receipt for this and what it was for?

The standard CA lease lists forms of payment as personal check, money order, cashier's check, or other to be filled in _______. Transactions in paper cash are a challenge and require a good deal of trust between parties especially the one fulfilling their obligation with cash. I am sure it happens quite a bit, but personally I typical avoid that unless their is benefit to me. Typically the only benefit that a Landlord might offer is below market rent as they do not intend to report for tax purposes all of what they rcvd. Not smart to get involved in supporting that potential.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting