Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 10:32 AM

7 posts, read 76,358 times

Advertisements

HI, The tenants that currently occupy my property have violated the HOA and so a fine has been charged. I have in the lease that the tenants are to abide by the rules and had them initial every page of the rules and regulations. The lease does not specifically say that they will be responsible for any fees charged but does say that breaking the rules of the HOA is a breach of the lease agreement. Can I make the tenant pay the fine? or have them move out if they fail to pay? Property is in GA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2012, 11:31 AM

4,400 posts, read 13,390,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLBigTurtles View Post
HI, The tenants that currently occupy my property have violated the HOA and so a fine has been charged. I have in the lease that the tenants are to abide by the rules and had them initial every page of the rules and regulations. The lease does not specifically say that they will be responsible for any fees charged but does say that breaking the rules of the HOA is a breach of the lease agreement. Can I make the tenant pay the fine? or have them move out if they fail to pay? Property is in GA.
Out of curiosity, how much is the fine and have you talked to the tenants about them paying it?

There is a "sticky" in the forums about LL and tenant laws, you may be able to find something specific for your state.

Old 06-12-2012, 12:38 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLBigTurtles View Post
The tenants that currently occupy my property have violated the HOA and so a fine has been charged.
Can I make the tenant pay the fine? or have them move out if they fail to pay? Property is in GA.
Subject to anything more specific in YOUR state law...
I suspect you're limited to dealing with this like any other unplanned expense due to the tenants actions.

Advise them of the incident and the fee and that you expect them to pay it.
If your lease is **worded correctly** when the next rent payment is received
and the extra is not included you advise them that they are behind in the rent
as the first $X paid was applied to the fine.

THEN... you can start the 3 day notice to cure or quit for unpaid rent.

hth

Old 06-12-2012, 01:46 PM

We are only talking $100.00 but over the last 3 months the HOA has sent several warning letters about different things and they continued to break the rules so they finally imposed a fine. I have looked in the Landlord Tenant law workbook for Georgia and there isnt anything specific about HOA violations. I went by the house today and they still have not remedied the situation. I dont want to lose the tenant but I also dont want to have a lein placed on my house because of difficult tenants.

Old 06-12-2012, 01:54 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,673,640 times
You can pass along the violation fine to the tenant so long as the lease states such fines can be passed along. GA does not specifically go into details of everything that can be passed along but makes it a general anything as a result of the tenant's negligence or failure to obey the rules but you must have infiormed the tenat that they can be held and are liable int he lease. If you omitted mentioning it or it does not met the state law requirment, youare out of luck.

As for the repeated violations, once again what doe the lease say? You mentioned that they signed the rules and regulations but is it specifically mentioned in the lease that they are required to obey them? Having them inital the rules and regulations is great but means nothing if the lease does not say they were to follow them. Also, does the lease say that violation of the rules and regulations of the association is a breech of the lease?

Old 06-12-2012, 02:06 PM

Yes the lease say specifically Rules and regulations are enforcable against a Tenant. "Tenant's and/or other occupant's failure to abide by the terms of the rules and regualtions shall constitue material breach of the lease." After each violation I notified the tenant of the infraction. The lease also says Tenant acknowledges they are subject to the terms of the rules and regulations and agree to comply with the terms.
The rules and regualtions state clearly that there would be a fine for a 2nd violation so they were clearly warned about the consequences.

Old 06-12-2012, 02:12 PM

The lease must specifically say that the tenants are responsible for any fines or assesments levied againt the unit for a violation of the rules and regulations. Itrs nto good enought hat the rules and regulations state tit, you must have included it int he lease. Most leases drawn up for the rental of a condo should have that clause in it along with everything else required by law to protect you. However a standard residential lease for an apartment may not have had the necessary items to address condo fines and assesments. A standard state specific soick lease for a house could have had a clause to adress this as HOA fiens and assemenets would eb considered the same. Was the lease prepared by a lawyer or was it a generic lease?

Old 06-12-2012, 02:16 PM

a generic lease with a rules and regualtions addendum. My only hope is that this line is good enough. "Tenant and all other occupants must follow all of the Association's rules and are subject to the penalties therein for any violations, including towing at Tenant's/occupant's expense.

Old 06-12-2012, 02:23 PM

That may be good enough and it all depends on how the courts have interpreted that. My reading of it is simply that you can not charge a tenant for any fines or assesmensts during the lease unless you informed the tenant and they agreed in the lease to pay these additional cost AND the cost were incured as a direct violation of the tenant. Sounds like its covered. Now the next step is to make sure you are notifying the tenant according to state law and following up in the manner outlined in the law to protect your rights.

Old 06-12-2012, 02:31 PM

I have emailed them and spoken with them about each violation. I sent a certified letter with a copy of each violation in it today. I know they have gotten the previous emails about the violations because they have responded to the email. They just happened to ignore/claim to not get the one saying a fine had been assessed. So now they will have a hard copy of all of the violations including the letter with the fine. I'm not sure how legal an email notification is but i know that a certified letter is as official as it gets. I really appreciate the help with this. Thank you!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting