Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 07:26 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,679,222 times

Advertisements

A rent house I own has a newish, cheap wood laminate floor in the kitchen. The house came that way when I bought it a couple of years ago....I would never put that kind of floor in the kitchen. My new tenant called and complained the floor was buckeling. It did have a place near the sink where it was a little lifted so I thought that was the problem. But when I saw it today, I realized the new tenant had failed to fasten the washer correctly and water was dripping down the wall and seeping onto the floor. The floor doesn't look great and I certainly need to replace it before another tenant moves in but I didn't offer to fix it, nor did they. Do you think I should take money from their security deposit? My hesitation is that a kitchen floor should withstand some water and this probably wouldn't have happened with a vinyl or tile floor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2012, 08:05 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,406,958 times
Question huh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
A rent house I own has a newish, cheap wood laminate floor in the kitchen. The house came that way when I bought it a couple of years ago....I would never put that kind of floor in the kitchen. My new tenant called and complained the floor was buckeling. It did have a place near the sink where it was a little lifted so I thought that was the problem. But when I saw it today, I realized the new tenant had failed to fasten the washer correctly and water was dripping down the wall and seeping onto the floor. The floor doesn't look great and I certainly need to replace it before another tenant moves in but I didn't offer to fix it, nor did they. Do you think I should take money from their security deposit? My hesitation is that a kitchen floor should withstand some water and this probably wouldn't have happened with a vinyl or tile floor.
If you're planning on redoing the floor and knew it was in poor condition to begin with, I would say to let it go. Can you 'fairly' assess the amount of damage done to the particular square 'footage' of flooring in order to replace it w/the same 'poor quality' product? Why didn't you fix the floor prior to this tenant moving in?
Koale

Old 06-12-2012, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale View Post
If you're planning on redoing the floor and knew it was in poor condition to begin with, I would say to let it go. Can you 'fairly' assess the amount of damage done to the particular square 'footage' of flooring in order to replace it w/the same 'poor quality' product? Why didn't you fix the floor prior to this tenant moving in?
Koale
one plank nar the sink was slightly raised, not noticable at all. Now the whole floor has water damage.

Old 06-12-2012, 11:14 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,390,696 times
You could try to charge them for the damage on one of their rent bills...but that will likely be met with resistance, as the tenant is going to claim that it was not their fault.

As for taking it from their security deposit, you can't do that until after they move and at that point you will have to pro rate it...which you will have to do now anyway, as it was not new when they moved in. Whether or not the tenant damaged it, you can't charge them full price for something that wasn't new to them.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:09 AM

3,503 posts, read 19,880,155 times
Fix the floor properly and do not charge the tenant. By your own words the floor was less than acceptable to you, why make a tenant pay for something sub-standard? You said you would replace it with an acceptable floor product. You should have done that before the tenant moved in.
You would also have to pro-rate the cost of a new floor based on the original floor, not the upgrade you obviously need to replace.

Old 06-13-2012, 05:54 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneSA View Post
...why make a tenant pay for something sub-standard?
The "sub standard" was a cosmetic question that could have been dealt with at the next turnover or left alone.
Now, because of what the tenant did* these options no longer exist. That's why.

How much of the cost to charge them is the ONLY question.
---

*The tenant should not be installing appliances.
Sorting out how this came about might be another thread.

Old 06-13-2012, 06:37 AM

1,624 posts, read 4,053,067 times
You are not supposed to put laminate in kitchens or bathrooms. A quick google will tell you that. If you told a builder you put laminate in a kitchen, they would laugh their butt off at you. If you want a wood floor you need to put in sealed hardwood.

The security deposit can only be touched when they move out, not while they live there. It is for damage AFTER their lease is up. The security deposit is supposed to be in an escrow account.

Put tile in. It is cheaper than sealed hardwood. When you make tenants bring their own appliances you run the risk of them not being installed correctly. It is cheaper to fix/replace an existing dishwasher that YOU had professionally installed then having to replace the floor.

I guess you'll know next time.

Old 06-13-2012, 06:48 AM

this is a charming house built in the early 1950's. Everything in the house is a vintage appearance. Even the bathrooms are all new tiliing and new vintage faucets & sinks. The washing machine hookup is in the kitchen. That is common in old houses. I do have a built in dishwasher. This was their washing machine for their clothing. Except for the kitchen -- which was likely original sheet vinyl flooring -- and the adjoining familyroom, the house has original oak flooring in mint refinished condition. The people who renovated the house should not have used this product for the kitchen except that it does make good "eye flow" with the rest od the house and since the familyroom is attached to the kitchen, replacing the kitchen floor will require consideration about what to do about the familyroom...... I will probably use wood look tiles, which will be pricey. The floor is about 18 months old....

My question was referring to charging their security deposit when they move out... I am not planning on dealing with the floor just yet.

Old 06-13-2012, 06:58 AM

1,624 posts, read 4,053,067 times
Ah I see. When you said washer in the kitchen I assumed it was a dishwasher. Now. ANY wood floor can have problems with standing water. Even the best hardwood. If the washer and dryer are in the kitchen you need to put down a tile or you are going to have problems over and over again. Find a complimentary tile to the family room. Maybe ask an interior designer to help pick something ot that works with the flow and style if the house.

The damage was because of sub standard flooring that should not have been there in the first place not because of the tenant. Replace it ASAP on your dime.

Old 06-13-2012, 07:11 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,682,095 times
Proof????
Pics of the washer & connections (work tenants did especially since it is their own washer)???
Send to an on-line album with dates & time & start to correspond via e-mail....

With that, at least you can establish that burden of guilt on the party you are (or may be in the future) suing... and may be able to recoup maybe in partial sum to the damages????

Document, document, document... & NOW is never too late!!!

What clause is in your lease???
Do you have the 50/50 responsibilities of financial burden should there be any necessary fix / updates to be done to the property??? That... should be in every rental contract so the tenant is at least responsible for any damage / any upgrades that they want fix or done to the home.

A signed lease contract is so important (& very legal binding) & there could be so many protections (via court) LL have should they are smart enough to draft out a good one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting