Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 04:55 PM

2,489 posts, read 7,210,338 times

Advertisements

I was told by upper management that nobody could see the actual apartment because then they may change their mind, i.e. want a better location, not like their neighbors etc... It was silly really. Imagine trying to explain to people why their stove or dishwasher wasn't exactly like the model. I really don't miss that job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2007, 07:35 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,098,836 times
My answer would be....[and always has been] When you have MY unit availble to show me....you call me....byeeeeee.

I've rented apartments [and houses] a lot of times ove a lot of years and have always seen it first. Granted....I have also walked away from several when they wouldnt.

Old 10-27-2007, 12:05 AM

1,354 posts, read 4,580,599 times
I too rented for years in many different cities, both apartments & single family houses.

I will say that with apartments, they do only show the model, if it's a larger complex. But you can get an overall general feel of whether or not the place is a slum or not just from the grounds and apartment corridors. In addition, a day or so before moving in you can usually see the actual unit you will be getting (if you request). You also do a walk thru inspection of the property and note down all the damages or items that you see which need to be fixed and both the leasing agent or landlord and the tenant sign off on the paperwork. I'm not sure what type of communities you've been renting in but this has been my experience since 1988 when I moved into my first apartment. Same procedure with the house, except you do get to see it prior to moving in, there are no models to show when you're planning to rent a single family unit. Nevertheless the walk through/notation/sign off remains the same as with an apartment.

As far as upkeep, no landlord expects a tenant to make improvements to his/her property. If you're renting a single family home and have yard space then it's usually outlined in the lease on who is responsible for lawn care.

I guess I've always been different. If I rented, I took care of it as if it was mine, without investing anything into it. I did keep the lawn maintained and the trees pruned, but it was also in my lease that I was responsible for lawn care. I even planted a few inexpensive flowers in the yard just to add a ownership like feel to the property Renters like me and some of the posters here, are a small % in comparison to most.

Now that I own a home, I despise the few renters in my neighborhood and cant' wait to get them out of here.

Old 10-27-2007, 06:28 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,145,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayannaaaliyah View Post
Now that I own a home, I despise the few renters in my neighborhood and cant' wait to get them out of here.
Yeah, we renters are just scumbags.

Old 10-31-2007, 11:57 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,084,943 times
Quote:

Nice. I despise this type of attitude. I've been a homeowner for 20+ years--I've owned about 5 different homes--until about 6 months ago when a financial disaster forced us to sell our home in order to avoid foreclosure (no we didn't have one of those screwy loans, we weren't upside down in our loan and we had stellar credit until our financial situation came crashing down on us). So we have to rent. About 98% of the homes in this small town are single family, privately owned. We had to take what we could get. It's ok. The landlord is ok. It's a small town so we have to work together. Yeah, he's cheaped out on a lot of stuff, but then, he's also been pretty good about some other stuff. Our kids go to school together.

But the attitude you display about renters? I hate that and have NO TIME for anybody with that kind of attitude. I just pray you never find yourself in my situation.

Old 10-31-2007, 12:03 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
I think she was trying to be tongue-in-cheek.

Old 10-31-2007, 12:20 PM

3,031 posts, read 9,084,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
I hope so. All those little mad faces threw me off.

Old 10-31-2007, 12:44 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,145,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Didn't appear that way to me; I thought it was pretty offensive (I'm a former and future homeowner, current renter).

Old 11-02-2007, 04:54 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,065,882 times
It's my opinion 99.9% of landlords want $$$ for nothing. Not all, but most.
They all seemed to see us as the enemy, even if we expressed a valid complaint (such as ants or broken appliances). Or they have chips on their shoulders about old, horrible tenants and expect you to be just like them (destructive/non-paying).

I've lived in places where the landlords felt they had the right to walk in your place (for whatever lame excuse) whether they told you or not (which is illegal, here in Vermont, where we just moved. Back in NY every apartment we had was also illegal so I guess the rules didn't apply.).

We rented the last 7 years from my parents (after other tenants had beat the place to ****) and even they spent endless hours complaining about 'normal wear and tear'. Others had lived there, wrote on doors (which were never replaced the whole time WE lived there), my husband repainted the whole apartment and when the stove (old) broke or the fridge (old) they complained and whined to us. (like we did it.)

I understand why people want to rent their properties (for money) but if you do get some decent tenants, respect them a little, too.

Old 11-02-2007, 02:26 PM

1,942 posts, read 8,488,979 times
Quote:

Honey, I agree with you....and I am a RENTER (for the time being). I am a renter, and am embarrassed at times by it, due to other renters. I live in a very nice townhome/condo complex where most of the residents are owners-whether seasonal or not (Florida). But we also have the people who bought the townhomes to try to flip them, couldn't, and now are renting them. Quite honestly- no need to lie- it is obvious who are the renters and who aren't. I would say 8-9 out of 10 renters that live here...are the ones sitting outside in groups of drinking beer and swearing...they're the ones that have sheets over their broken car windows...they're the ones at the pool cursing and playing music with curses...they're the ones having parties at 3 in the morning...and the place I live in is NOT cheap...but they group up so that they can divvy up the rent. How do I know? Well, I know by their renter stickers on their car!

It was like this 2 years ago when I rented in a townhome/apartment complex. But, it was WORSE, because it was an apartment so no one owned anything.

So I am a renter, and am saying bad things about renters. Now of course not all renters are like this...such as us. We have never had a problem yet, but then again, we cover our butt at the end of the year by taking pictures and videotape of how we left the place...but we have three written glowing references by our previous landlords.

We have a new family moving in this week, renters, and hubby and I are dreading it, hoping that they won't be anything like we already have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting