Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2012, 09:40 AM

2 posts, read 3,161 times

Advertisements

What would be an appropriate increase for me to move into my BF's apartment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2012, 10:02 AM

1,624 posts, read 4,055,033 times
You will have to ask the LL if you are even allowed and if the LL is willing to draw up a new lease.

Old 06-22-2012, 04:58 PM

2 posts, read 3,161 times
He said yes but asked us what we think out new rate should be considering wear and tear and increased water usage. Truthfully, i am always here anyways and the wear and tear will actually be better considering I am a much better housekeeper than BF. ;-) Landlords son lives in the other part of the duplex. We were thinking 50-100$ or 10%.

Old 06-22-2012, 09:35 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,257,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellsussed View Post
He said yes but asked us what we think out new rate should be considering wear and tear and increased water usage. Truthfully, i am always here anyways and the wear and tear will actually be better considering I am a much better housekeeper than BF. ;-) Landlords son lives in the other part of the duplex. We were thinking 50-100$ or 10%.
Has your LL ever rented to more than one tenant (in that specific apt.) before? Is this property in a town that has rent control?

I ask because that is just a really odd question to ask a tenant/future tenant. I have a one bedroom apt. that is legal for 2 tenants. The rent is what the rent is no matter if one person or two move in. What happened once was the BF of the tenant on the lease ended up moving in a few months in to the lease and all I asked for was that he sign an addendum to the existing lease. I also don't pay utilities, my tenants do.

How did the LL advertise the property? If one tenant moves in the rent is "this much", if two tenants move in the rent is "this much + a little more"?

My quarterly water bill averages about $80. That is for 2 adults, one teen, and one tween who take a minimum of one shower a day. We also have a pre-schooler who gets a bath every night. We run the dishwasher every day, run the washing machine a minimum of 2 times a day - usually a lot more.

Wear and tear is not usually something a LL charges for based on the amount of people who are on a lease. Tenants are charged at the end of their lease for damages done OUTSIDE of normal wear and tear.

With respect to the possibility of there being a significant increase of water usage, ask to see the water bills since your BF moved in, average them out and agree to pay the amount above the average $$ when the next water bill comes due after you move in.

Old 06-23-2012, 01:51 AM

4,400 posts, read 13,393,736 times
Sawdustmaker has a very valid point. I moved into my apartment and 3 years later my fiancee moved in. There was no rent increase, as 1 bedroom apartments are "zoned" for lack of a better word for a maximum of 2 people and there is additional rent if I move in extra people.

Honestly, 2 people in an apartment shouldn't really justify ANY rent increase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting