U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 09:20 AM

16,810 posts, read 28,156,554 times

Advertisements

I would just paint it, they are not going to send you to jail.

please, your living there, make it comfortable for yourself.

i say go for it, i would jusyt do it myself
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
However, it is NOT easier to find a new apartment. And, painting of the cabinets and walls may VERY possibly be a violation of the lease. I am looking at mine, and it flat out says that ANY alterations to the apartment, including any painting, can be grounds for termination of the lease and tenant will be charged the cost of repairs.

so what if you live there for 20 years, they expect you to never give the walls a coat of paint???????????

Old 06-28-2012, 09:58 AM

912 posts, read 4,863,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I would just paint it, they are not going to send you to jail.

please, your living there, make it comfortable for yourself.

i say go for it, i would jusyt do it myself
This is simply terrible advice.

Would you paint or somehow alter a rental car?
What if a friend lends you a jacket? Would you cut out the sleeves because its more comfortable for you?

You may not go to jail, but you could not only lose your deposit, get a nice eviction on your record, or even get sued pretty hard-core as well.

The bottom line, you do not own the property, any and all alterations should be signed off by the owner.

Old 06-28-2012, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlitosBala View Post
This is simply terrible advice.

Would you paint or somehow alter a rental car?
What if a friend lends you a jacket? Would you cut out the sleeves because its more comfortable for you?

You may not go to jail, but you could not only lose your deposit, get a nice eviction on your record, or even get sued pretty hard-core as well.

The bottom line, you do not own the property, any and all alterations should be signed off by the owner.

oh please, it is just a coat of paint.
as long as the tenant is living there whats the big deal.

I still stand by my advice, just do it.

oh, BTW, it isnt a car, or a jacket.
it is walls of an apartment that DO require painting from time to time, it isnt something illogical.

as a renter, your paying rent, why not have it the color you want, what is the big problem>>>>>
and I would hardly call painting an alteration, it isnt like you are ripping out a wall,

Old 06-28-2012, 11:26 AM

912 posts, read 4,863,771 times
Quote:

it is walls of an apartment that DO require painting from time to time, it isnt something illogical.

as a renter, your paying rent, why not have it the color you want, what is the big problem>>>>>
and I would hardly call painting an alteration, it isnt like you are ripping out a wall,
Your first mistake, which I can attribute to inexperience and naivete to the business of rental is to assume that paying rent gives a person the right to alter something that does not belong to them. Refer back to my original post, and answer the questions I posted.

Your second mistake, is to assume that the tenant will do anything more than buy the cheapest paint, and half-ass it on the wall. Will the tenant properly paint the corners? What about the edges? Will they paint the trim as well? How clean will the edge line between the wall and the ceiling be?? What color are they choosing? Will it be glossy or matte, and will it be right for the texture of the wall? Will the tenant take proper care in avoiding paint spills on the floor/carpet? Ect, ect, ect.

So to those of us who know, its not just a matter of "it is just a coat of paint", its a matter of quality and presentation, and, more often than not, an actual downgrade to the value of a unit as a rental.

I used to be naive like you, and let some of my tenants "just throw a coat of paint" on one of my units. Well, the end result and sub-par attempt at painting ended up costing these people double of what their security deposit was. And no, I did not laugh it all the way to the bank, that's just what the actual cost was of returning my property to the state it was prior to them living there.

So I guess what it comes down to is, if you are renting a half-destroyed, roach-infested shack that used to be a meth-lab, go crazy with the paint buddy! But if you are renting a half decent place, with a landlord that actually provides a service, you need to get permission, or it will surely come back to bite you in the ass.

Old 06-28-2012, 01:47 PM

27,750 posts, read 58,079,077 times
Quote:

Don't be surprised at the consequences...

Many posts here are about security deposits... one of the quickest ways to loose your deposit is by altering the unit...

A small building I just started managing has a tenant that did exactly what you advocate...

She and her daughter painted the unit and now they are not even happy with the results and want the Landlord to paint it professionally and this is after the landlord let them deduct the cost of the paint after the fact...

Every light switch, outlet and the oak baseboards were painted... the windows are painted shut and the door latches don't work...

There is a lot more to painted then just throwing up some color and hoping is sticks...

Oh... the bathroom is Black and the daughter's room is lavender...

Old 06-30-2012, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlitosBala View Post
Your first mistake, which I can attribute to inexperience and naivete to the business of rental is to assume that paying rent gives a person the right to alter something that does not belong to them. Refer back to my original post, and answer the questions I posted.

Your second mistake, is to assume that the tenant will do anything more than buy the cheapest paint, and half-ass it on the wall. Will the tenant properly paint the corners? What about the edges? Will they paint the trim as well? How clean will the edge line between the wall and the ceiling be?? What color are they choosing? Will it be glossy or matte, and will it be right for the texture of the wall? Will the tenant take proper care in avoiding paint spills on the floor/carpet? Ect, ect, ect.

So to those of us who know, its not just a matter of "it is just a coat of paint", its a matter of quality and presentation, and, more often than not, an actual downgrade to the value of a unit as a rental.

I used to be naive like you, and let some of my tenants "just throw a coat of paint" on one of my units. Well, the end result and sub-par attempt at painting ended up costing these people double of what their security deposit was. And no, I did not laugh it all the way to the bank, that's just what the actual cost was of returning my property to the state it was prior to them living there.

So I guess what it comes down to is, if you are renting a half-destroyed, roach-infested shack that used to be a meth-lab, go crazy with the paint buddy! But if you are renting a half decent place, with a landlord that actually provides a service, you need to get permission, or it will surely come back to bite you in the ass.

I guess because I am an expert painter, I assume everybody else is also. But yes, you are probably right.

I painted when I rented, when I moved I just re painted it the beige, I got my sec back, the Ll was happy and all the years (4) I lived there I had the color I liked...

I did then buy the apt upstairs in the same building so I wanted to do the right thing. The LL did tell the ofiicie that I painted the apartment so goodm he didnt even have to paint it for the next tenants.

Old 06-30-2012, 10:03 PM

6,285 posts, read 13,063,517 times
Well, another angle on this, leaving the whole security deposit thing out of it is that it's a pain in the behind to paint cabinets & have them turn out well. All the doors have to come off, most of the stuff needs to come out, and unless you use something like an oil-based enamel out of a sprayer, the results are underwhelming and not very durable.

Even the unlicensed guys on Craigslist in my area charge $800-$1000 to paint an average set of cabinets. As a landlord, I'd never paint them, because with a sale or a coupon, it's cheaper for me to replace them. I will concede that many landlords & flippers seem to get away with painting them though.

Old 06-30-2012, 11:27 PM

244 posts, read 1,171,062 times
as a LL, I say ASK! The worst they can say is NO, but they may be happy for you to do the work (if done right)> We let one set of renters paint and as said above, Just cause I know how to paint, doesn't mean someone else does!! It seriously looked like they gave their 3 yr old the paintbrush and let her do it. They painted all the baseboards the same hideous bright pink, paint all over the ceiling and back of door, door trim and light fixture and closet trim. Oh and paint all over the carpet. They didn't care what it looked like cause it wasnt' their house. They were gone in 6 months and we had to fix for new renters. As for cabinets, we have painted some ourselves and it takes alot of prep and alot of work. It's not that simple. If it was done right before, LL might not have a prob having you touch up. But, paint is hard to match, so maybe they have the name of paint. And, you may be paying rent, but the LL is paying the mortgage!! It is his house, his rules and it doesn't matter if you think it's wrong or stupid or your right cause you are living there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting