U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2012, 03:22 PM

2 posts, read 27,206 times

Advertisements

I recently moved from renting from my uncle where I could do pretty much anything to renting an apartment from a big property management company. The lease is a generic form and prohibits painting "unless specified." These apartments are old, but with a fresh coat of paint on the walls and new flooring they look rather nice. The kitchen would look nice too. They've got a new counter top and newer appliances, but the cabinets are painted white and they are dirty and scratched up. I'd simply like to repaint them. I don't have many chances to go to the office and talk to them, but some of the neighbors and coworkers I've talked to said they'd just do it.

Long-term renters, what would you do?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2012, 03:29 PM

31,846 posts, read 72,965,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyBeinBorn View Post
big property management company...prohibits painting "unless specified."
I don't have many chances to go to the office and talk to them, but...
find the time. make the time.

Old 06-24-2012, 03:50 PM

3,114 posts, read 7,850,581 times
Painting cabinets - even if it's the same color - is NOT something you want to do without getting permission first.

Cabinets are one of the trickiest things to paint - and rarely come out looking good. And if you do it, and they don't like it - you may get charged to replace the cabinets - which could end up being more than your deposit.

Definitely ask first!

Old 06-24-2012, 04:25 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,755,309 times
Ask and get it in writing.

Old 06-24-2012, 04:42 PM

1,621 posts, read 3,639,878 times
On the other hand they say it is easier to get forgiveness than permission.

Old 06-24-2012, 05:07 PM

834 posts, read 1,588,588 times
It'll depend, but if they were like the ones in the last place we lived in, I'll just go ahead and do it. They were painted with regular latex paint, all the brushes' lines were showing, so I don't think I could have messed them up more than they already were.

Old 06-24-2012, 06:28 PM

26,955 posts, read 43,104,575 times
I agree with a previous poster..."GET IT IN WRITING" ...we have a property management company and we deal with different owners and some owners don't care if someone wants to paint something but it needs to be professional quality and not like a person is painting for the first time and we need to see what color which can be shown by taking a paint example from a company that sells paint and bring it in or mail it for approval.

Keep in mind that if you don't have it in writing it maybe a costly thing to paint it...

Old 06-24-2012, 09:08 PM

27,751 posts, read 58,148,587 times
I have had "Helpful" tenants create a paint nightmare...

In my older buildings the kitchens are still painted with Oil Enamel... almost like the paint that was the standard for cars for decades... about $60 a gallon last time I bought.

Anyway... my well meaning tenants painted over everything with a standard latex... kitchen looked fine for a few weeks and then started alligatoring and peeling... every square inch had to be stripped, primed and repainted... and it cost them $1400.

Far to many people think painting is just opening a can and going for it...

Old 06-25-2012, 03:18 PM

3,114 posts, read 7,850,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms_Christina View Post
That might apply if we were talking about inviting two single friends to the same dinner, and hoping they hit it off.

It's a terrible idea in a situation where the landlord has your deposit, and where the damage you do, could cost you more than the deposit.

It's a cute saying, but you can't apply it to every situation in life!

Old 06-25-2012, 06:54 PM

4,402 posts, read 12,718,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms_Christina View Post
However, it is NOT easier to find a new apartment. And, painting of the cabinets and walls may VERY possibly be a violation of the lease. I am looking at mine, and it flat out says that ANY alterations to the apartment, including any painting, can be grounds for termination of the lease and tenant will be charged the cost of repairs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting