Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2012, 01:41 AM

2 posts, read 2,537 times

Advertisements

My two roommates and I moved into an apartment 4 months ago. When going to sign our lease we noticed a few errors that we asked the landlord to fix and he said he would fix it but in the meantime we could move in and once it was corrected we could sign. The landlord had told us that a washer and dryer was going to be installed at the end of the first month and then said that after the washer and dryer was installed we would sign the lease. After many excuses no construction has taken place until a month ago and it is going ridiculously slow. There is a giant hole in our living room wall that goes straight through to the attic/roof and makes it very hard to keep the place cool in the hot weather and is a big eyesore that makes us not want to have anyone over. We get random texts that they want to do construction with a few hours notice or he texts a roommate who he knows job takes him international frequently and has no cell reception. We don't care about the lack of notice so much as the amount of time its taken to get this started, a hot air draft, and eyesore it is causing. We do not know how we should handle this situation since we technically dont have a lease and how very annoying it is to our living situation. What is your advice on how we should handle it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2012, 01:58 AM

3,437 posts, read 6,064,542 times
That is what happens when you rent from a Slumlord, since there isn't a lease signed move out, it will NOT get any better in the long run.

You can call the housing authority in your city, that usually lights a fire under the Slumlord's butt, but then since you don't have a lease he can evict you.

Old 06-30-2012, 02:30 AM

4,400 posts, read 13,376,392 times
Handle it right. Give notice that is at least 30 days, or whatever is required in your state. And move.

Old 06-30-2012, 06:19 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,427,722 times
agree with the others. Move. Be thankful you didnt sign a lease already. follow proper laws in your state for giving written 30 day notice or whatever the reqt notice days in your state.

landlord sounds too laidback. maybe lazy. maybe has another job. doesnt take the landlord job seriously. this is telltale he will always be like this.

Old 06-30-2012, 07:02 PM

115 posts, read 363,369 times
Unless this is your last resort for living arrangements MOVE!!! I've dealt with a slumlord before. My husband and I was just starting out at 19 yrs old and NO ONE would rent to us. NO ONE. We hopped at the first chance and it was a big mistake. We moved the second our lease was up. I seen the same place has been for rent for over a year and they keep bumping the price down..lol!!

Old 06-30-2012, 11:46 PM

244 posts, read 1,225,835 times
I am a LL and I would NEVER let someone move in w/out first signing a lease much less start work on the place.! Sounds fishy to me! Since there is no lease in place, I don't think you have any legal recourse. I would move. I wouldn't trust that he was someone you are going to want to deal with on a more long term basis!!

Old 07-01-2012, 04:34 AM

3,437 posts, read 6,064,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzannewright View Post
I am a LL and I would NEVER let someone move in w/out first signing a lease much less start work on the place.!

You probably wouldn't rent out a place with a big hole in the ceiling either.

Old 07-01-2012, 11:46 AM

244 posts, read 1,225,835 times
Um NO. Any work that needs to be done, is always done BEFORE a new tenant!! Both my rentals were houses that my family and I lived in. We spent 3 years renovating each and then our family grew and we bought bigger. The market crashed and we were kind of stuck in them. WE have never had one sit empty at all. We end a lease at end of mo, spend a few days fixing and cleaning and new renters are ready to move in first wk in beginning of mo. These are actually full size family homes, not apts. It is scary everytime someone new moves in cause you never know how they will treat your house. But, we are just rolling with the market right now and keep our fingers cross...AND try to be the best LL anyone could ever have. So far, it has worked for us...phew!

Old 07-06-2012, 04:01 PM

2 posts, read 2,537 times
Thanks for the input so far. The town we live in is a 'summer' town and rents get very expensive while looking now, so we are forced to stay till at least the end of the summer. Our Rent is supposed to be due on the first and the unsigned least had laid out a 7 day 'grace period' where fees arent charged till the 7th. He had asked for us to leave the rent in our normal designated drop off spot, which is the shared entrance way staircase(he lives below us), on monday morning. One of us was stuck international for work and back the 5th and because of unforeseen circumstances we were not around that morning. Me and the other roommate told him that we would leave it at 6PM Monday the 2nd and the third roomate yesterday afternoon(he texted him that his was out there). The LL has been in and out of the house multiple times a day and has ignored it on the steps. We then put the checks on top of his mail and left it right in front of his door and we have seen him purposely walk over it and not pick them or the mail up. The LL is clearly avoiding taking the checks on purpose and I believe it is to try and say we have given them late. We have taken pictures of them almost everyday that they were there. What else should we do to protect ourselves? and can the LL do anything to us?

Old 07-06-2012, 05:41 PM

10,746 posts, read 25,944,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_pecker View Post
Thanks for the input so far. The town we live in is a 'summer' town and rents get very expensive while looking now, so we are forced to stay till at least the end of the summer. Our Rent is supposed to be due on the first and the unsigned least had laid out a 7 day 'grace period' where fees arent charged till the 7th. He had asked for us to leave the rent in our normal designated drop off spot, which is the shared entrance way staircase(he lives below us), on monday morning. One of us was stuck international for work and back the 5th and because of unforeseen circumstances we were not around that morning. Me and the other roommate told him that we would leave it at 6PM Monday the 2nd and the third roomate yesterday afternoon(he texted him that his was out there). The LL has been in and out of the house multiple times a day and has ignored it on the steps. We then put the checks on top of his mail and left it right in front of his door and we have seen him purposely walk over it and not pick them or the mail up. The LL is clearly avoiding taking the checks on purpose and I believe it is to try and say we have given them late. We have taken pictures of them almost everyday that they were there. What else should we do to protect ourselves? and can the LL do anything to us?
That's odd behavior...allowing checks to sit outside your door?? I wouldn't leave them there, but that your business. Either have him accept payment at his bank or mail his checks by return mail every month.

Are those pictures date stamped? Might come in handy if you guys end up in court.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting