Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 11:07 AM

4,918 posts, read 22,678,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms_Christina View Post
You're moving, he needs to rent the place. His own mortgage may depend on it. Suck it up.
We tell tenants all the time that it's none of their business if a landlord is collecting rent and not paying the mortgage.

Over and over we explain that so long as the landlord is providing the unit and mainatining it according to the lease, if they are or are not paying the mortgage it has nothing to do with the lease.

It is not the tenants concern or responsibility if the Landlords mortgage depends on the rent payment, thats between the landlord and their bank, so the landlord needs to suck it up and obey the laws and the lease!

not so nice when on the other foot?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2012, 03:42 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,054,579 times
I'm confused. I said "MAY" The land lord may need the money to pay for a sick kid or buy a new pair of heels for his Cher impersonation outfit. Who cares? The point is SOME land lords cannot afford to lose too much rent. That may be why this one is so determined to get it rented with lots of showings. So I stand by what I said. Suck it up, you are moving anyway.

Old 07-19-2012, 08:01 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,137,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms_Christina View Post
I'm confused. I said "MAY" The land lord may need the money to pay for a sick kid or buy a new pair of heels for his Cher impersonation outfit. Who cares? The point is SOME land lords cannot afford to lose too much rent. That may be why this one is so determined to get it rented with lots of showings. So I stand by what I said. Suck it up, you are moving anyway.
And the point is that is the LL's problem, not the tenant. A tenant only has to do what is in the lease and what is legal. They are definitely not required to "suck it up".

Old 07-20-2012, 12:30 PM

18,468 posts, read 31,630,721 times
I would not let him show it while your still living there. That is not your problem. It is his problem as the LL. Our LL never shows apartments while tenants are still livng there. besides who wants to see an apartment with stuff in it. here in brooklyn NY, all apartments are vacant while being showed for rent.

He is better off having you move, get the apartment painted and whatever, then show it, instead of violationg your right to quality living and privacy, plus interrupting your life...and annoying you.

No, I would tell him no, no can do. Sorry. i will be out on such and such date, you can start showing it then.

and he as a Ll should really understand that. I know I would never have that. I dont want strangers in my apartment, ever.

Old 07-20-2012, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I would not let him show it while your still living there. That is not your problem. It is his problem as the LL. Our LL never shows apartments while tenants are still livng there. besides who wants to see an apartment with stuff in it. here in brooklyn NY, all apartments are vacant while being showed for rent.

He is better off having you move, get the apartment painted and whatever, then show it, instead of violationg your right to quality living and privacy, plus interrupting your life...and annoying you.

No, I would tell him no, no can do. Sorry. i will be out on such and such date, you can start showing it then.

and he as a Ll should really understand that. I know I would never have that. I dont want strangers in my apartment, ever.
You most likely do not have a choice. Now you can do things to make it "unpleasant" to show the apartment, but the lease almost certainly gives the LL the right to do it.

Old 07-20-2012, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
You most likely do not have a choice. Now you can do things to make it "unpleasant" to show the apartment, but the lease almost certainly gives the LL the right to do it.

NOT HERE IN brookly it doesnt, besides, the LL is not getting my keys. ever.

the Ll will show it when the apt is vacant. and that falls under the catagory of tough.
you pay rent to live there, it isnt the tenants responsibility to make sure the apartment is rented before the tenant moves.
you are wrong.

I have been living here all my life, no LL shows the apartment with the tenant still living in there.

Old 07-20-2012, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
We tell tenants all the time that it's none of their business if a landlord is collecting rent and not paying the mortgage.

Over and over we explain that so long as the landlord is providing the unit and mainatining it according to the lease, if they are or are not paying the mortgage it has nothing to do with the lease.

It is not the tenants concern or responsibility if the Landlords mortgage depends on the rent payment, thats between the landlord and their bank, so the landlord needs to suck it up and obey the laws and the lease!

not so nice when on the other foot?

love it, but I do agree.
the LL has to take into consideration that when a tenant moves it may be a few weeks before the apartment is properly cleaned/renovated or whatever, so he has to allow for a month here and there to not be paid. This is part of the rental cycle.

obviuosly it is hard when it is just one apartment where the LL is depending on money, but itruthfully, it really is not a concern for the previous tenant. Unless stipulated in the original lease that before moving the tenant must allow the LL to show.

no matter what I still think it is easier for all concerned for the apt to be vacant upon showing.

Old 07-20-2012, 01:08 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,684,678 times
tell the LL that your allergies cannot tolerate scented sprays

Old 07-20-2012, 01:17 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
I'm wondering why the landlord feels the sprays are necessary, myself.

Old 07-20-2012, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
NOT HERE IN brookly it doesnt, besides, the LL is not getting my keys. ever.

the Ll will show it when the apt is vacant. and that falls under the catagory of tough.
you pay rent to live there, it isnt the tenants responsibility to make sure the apartment is rented before the tenant moves.
you are wrong.

I have been living here all my life, no LL shows the apartment with the tenant still living in there.
That doesn't mean this is true everywhere. In many places this is in the lease and the LL has keys. It is perfectly legal. So while I might be "wrong" in regards to where you live, I am certainly right in regards to other areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting