Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 02:56 PM

21 posts, read 83,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
I've never understood why people are paranoid about giving out their account numbers. All you have to do is fork over a rent check and your account number is on it.
But by then you're already living in the apartment so it doesn't matter. But before you're offered it, I think its best to play it safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2012, 11:05 PM

21 posts, read 83,035 times
Before we sign the lease, Are transfer fees capable of being removed? This is where the tenant pays the fee for cleaning when moving out correct?

And does the rent generally increase after your 1 year lease is up? We were thinking about a 2 year lease but I've heard you have to pay a larger premium and lose more money that way over the 2 years compared to doing two 1 year leases. I told the property manager that we plan on staying long term, and our past residence history should be sufficient enough to show this.

Old 08-03-2012, 10:09 PM

67 posts, read 213,762 times
Default Senior Renter

I no longer give my social security number to anyone and no landlord needs to have it for any reason.

I am a senior woman, alone and at the mercy of anyone who wants to extort from me. I don't know where landlords keep my sensitive, information as hardcopies: in a locked filing cabinet? How is your office protected against breakins?

Does your staff have access to my sensitive information even on a casual basis, such as a just poppin' into your office to pick up a key? If so, do you drug test your staff or have drug testing requirements for your contractors and their subcontractors?

Internet information is not totally reliable. For example, I did a general background check on my daughter, who is 48. The internet (several known sites) show her as still being married to her first husband (16 years ago), shows many spelling errors, etc.

I corrected 29 spelling errors of my name, addresses and some accounts in my Experian credit report. We are at the mercy of incompetent clerks or overseas foreign language reps. It took me 3 months to fix this problem.

Many websites are collecting court records for the purpose of setting up internet security checking businesses, that the courts now charge for the information. This is a trending business by amateurs.

If you ask me for personal information, I demand you prove you are trustworthy, in the same way, you are asking me to prove my trustworthiness.

There is no real security. If I show up at your office and I am articulate with personal and professional references, you should not need to violate my privacy and I will sue you if I can prove my identity was stolen from your office. It is easy to call the Social Security Administration and VA and other federal retirement agencies and request of letter of proof of income.

I no longer live in California because the first and last month deposits and security deposits are completely unreasonable for a tenant like me. I am unwilling to tie up my money, unless interest in paid to me. This was at the top of my list when I was choosing a state to retire.

In some states, the landlord is required to pay interest on deposits. Afterall, I am not a bank and I am not here to make you wealthy.As a professional, retired accountant, I know those deposits go on a financial statement and property owners can take those numbers to a bank and borrow more money to buy more property. Do I owe you that? NOT

If you want to know something about me, I will tell you. That is the way I dealt with my landlord in Idaho. I am a grateful native of the Pacific Northwest. Things are working out better in this small town of Idaho on the river. It's so peaceful and safe here; the only thing to fear is a moose on the loose. Better that than a tweeking neighbor or a medical marijuana user who sells his extra stash to his neighbors for extra income.

So, you HUD funded landlords got the memo from Obama that you may no longer rent to medical marijuna users right? And if you are a tenent in a publicly funded building and smell the drug in the hallway, elevator, etc. and the landlord does not immediately evict the tenent, call the feds.

By the way, there are some extended stay apartments and I have lived in some nice places for as little as $900. a month (Spokane). It's also called corporate housing. No first and last month...maybe a month's rent and security deposit. No lease, discounts for 3 or more months. You get to live in a neighborhood and check it out. You get a feel for the city, before you commit to living there.

I can share a lot more if anyone is interested.

Old 12-31-2012, 03:39 AM

1 posts, read 1,441 times
No you all needs to stop all comments and give the money to ms. Bliss61; as i stumbled acrossed this,, i must have laugh until i were crying,, need to put this sister on my radio program,, the audience would be on the floor,, out of all of the post i read,, this lady is the bumb... I will read her writing any day,, maybe she should write a book of laughters,, a lot of folks in the hospitals will read this or hear this and laugh themself to wellness. Pay the lady she is worth every penny of it!!!!

Old 01-01-2013, 01:58 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsFan32k View Post

, the real estate agent told us the landlord/owner wants 2 months of bank statements. I can understand wanting these, but I've read that some people do not hand these over or leave the field blank on the rent application? Does not handing these in lower your chances of being offered the apartment?
You don't have to provide any of the information asked for. However, missing information makes it difficult to screen an applicant and most landlords won't bother to try. So, if you don't fill out the application, I would say definitely yes, it will lower your chances of being accepted.

Personally, I don't ask for bank statements unless I can't verify income any other way. I would prefer to speak to the employers or see grant letters. But for some applicants, for example the self employed, I don't have any other way to determine whether or not they have any money coming in.

The way I deal with it, is I examine the bank statement in front of the applicant, make a note on the application, and hand the statement back to the applicant. I DON'T WANT YOUR ACCOUNT NUMBER. I WANT TO BE ASSURED THAT YOU HAVE INCOME TO PAY THE RENT!

Prove your income is steady and reliable and adequate to pay the rent on time, and I don't need to see your bank statement,

Old 01-01-2013, 02:06 PM

Quote:
................... Before we submitted the application (when we were viewing the apartment), she said the deposit was such and such (it was high), and I ASKED if thats negotiable, she said yes it depends on your credit history and the landlord. Now shes telling me the same deposit amount..................................

Is it okay to ask how long the landlord has owned the property?
Well, then, I guess the landlord wasn't all that thrilled with your application or your credit history and isn't willing to take a smaller deposit to secure you for a tenant. In short, they don't get the impression that you are the type of tenant to drool over and wish upon a star to be able to rent to.

I occasionally have an applicant ask how long I've owned a house. I don't know why they need to know, but it's nothing to get offended about.

Old 01-01-2013, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Before we sign the lease, Are transfer fees capable of being removed? This is where the tenant pays the fee for cleaning when moving out correct?

And does the rent generally increase after your 1 year lease is up? We were thinking about a 2 year lease but I've heard you have to pay a larger premium and lose more money that way over the 2 years compared to doing two 1 year leases. I told the property manager that we plan on staying long term, and our past residence history should be sufficient enough to show this.
For Pete's sake stop nitpicking and nagging. The landlord is going to be sorry he accepted you and if all the paperwork hasn't been signed the landlord might back out. You are being very high maintenance and that is not an attractive trait in a tenant, or anyone else for that matter.

The length of your previous rental history means absolutely zip about your current plans and it proves nothing about how long you will stay. Most landlords will not do a 2 year lease, so you are probably going to have to accept sequential 1 year leases.

If you can not afford the rent, the deposits, and the fees, you really need to be looking for a less expensive place. You'll be miserable trying to pay rent that is more than you can afford.

Old 01-01-2013, 03:41 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
For Pete's sake stop nitpicking and nagging.
For Pete's sake stop adding comments to an old thread and to a poster who left the discussion months ago ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting