Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2012, 07:34 PM

2 posts, read 2,027 times

Advertisements

a very long story short!

#1~ when we moved into a rental property house was still dirty and managment company said we for fitted the house being clean since the owner was not out by the date agreed for us to move in!

#2~ i am allergic to cat hair and when we moved in the owner left some curtains COVERED in cat hair which i washed and in the long run they shrunk some and 1 of the 2 layers was longer (they where also not listed in the lease agreement!) so the management company took out of our deposit the cost of the curtains to be hemmed and dry cleaned!!

#3~ property management company also asked us for a list of things needed to be done to the house to make it livable since we had been living in cat pee'd soaked floors and we did so when we handed our 30 notice that we where moving out since our lease was almost and and we found another house finally! we handed in the list of things needing to be done, did the management company brake the lease by not fixing these things since we where still living in the house??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2012, 12:14 AM

3,199 posts, read 13,401,534 times
The time to have dealt with the repairs was at the time you first noticed them, not now when you're moving out. Yes, they should have fixed things. NO, you should not have moved into a dirty house - I would have demanded it be cleaned first or give me my money back. I'd say good riddance to bad rubbish and move on, but demand a walkthrough on your last day and be sure it's as clean as you can get it. Get them to sign off that it's acceptable (thinking of your deposit).

How did they already take out of your deposit money for those drapes? The deposit is the property of the tenant until move out, and any deductions must be accompanied by their final statement to you and invoices for the work done. AFTER you move out. Obviously they could also have told you to have the drapes cleaned and hemmed and that it was your cost.

Old 07-26-2012, 10:32 AM

2 posts, read 2,027 times
sorry my post was kinda here and there since my kids are always running around making it hard to write!

we have already moved out!

we had no choose in the matter of needing to move in, we moved to another state and we where suppose to have the house on the 1st and the owner was not out then, my kids and i where trapped in a town by flooding and it cleared and we left before we got flooded in again and needed to leave before we where trapped again and since my husband was already gone since he had to get to work (stayed with a co-worker) and the management company was trying to say we would have to wait almost 2 weeks for the house to be cleaned and since my kids and i where already driving to get to idaho!

we also told the management company that if it came down to this that we where going to be turning in a bill from the expense WE took to clean the carpets and the gas/wear and tear & our on our pickup truck & our time to haul all the trash the owner had left in the house! we did tell the management company we where NOT happy at the house and that it needed to be taken care of or just start finding another house to rent and we where told that since we where in a lease and it was only a couple months into the lease that we would have to keep paying the rent their until it would rerent! and since we are still paying double housing expense's we could not afford to do so! the management company really took advantage of us that we have not lease or rented in over 10 years and things have chanced SO much since then (or better yet before we lived in a very small town and they just did not do things like that).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting