Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2012, 07:56 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,643,710 times

Advertisements

I have a townhouse that will be available for rent in October. It is well located to local businesses and has a 2 car garage.....one bedroom, 2 baths, fenced backyard, 1100 square feet. I am considering using it for short term leasing by furnishing it, setting up cable/internet, and paying utilities and backyard lawn mowing (HOA maintains fromt) myself. It leases on regular terms (12 month lease, tenant buys own cable, utilities, etc.) for $900/mo.

Good idea? What would be a good short term lease rate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2012, 08:31 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,707,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
I have a townhouse that will be available for rent in October.
It is well located to local businesses and has a 2 car garage...
one bedroom, 2 baths, fenced backyard, 1100 square feet.
That sounds like an ideal rental... well, except for being only one BR.
Focus on singles and the garage space instead of the BR's.

Quote:
Good idea?
Unless there is something you haven't revealed that makes a traditional lease problematic...
I can't see a positive or upside to the extra work.

Do you know any of the executive relocation folks in your town?
One of the many relocating singles coming to TX is bound to need the garage space.

Old 07-26-2012, 11:40 AM

14 posts, read 40,113 times
kinda weird having 2 bathrooms and the other stuff and only one bedroom. Do note that being a landlord can be a lot of work at times, but other then that you sound good to go. Not sure about the price, don't know what the market is like for your location. Maybe 950? If you can find a tenant looking for longer. Generally less work. With the one bedroom you may want to target couples. You may want to consider pets as well since the yard would be an attraction for dog owners and kids and dogs don't generally require another bedroom. Good luck

You may find this article useful- http://www.atenantscreen.com/article-177.html

Last edited by KristinWard; 07-26-2012 at 11:49 AM..

Old 07-26-2012, 05:40 PM

6,808 posts, read 11,469,508 times
You might also target Federal agencies and corporate offices which may have people coming in on assignments lasting a month or so.

If it's furnished and you're paying the utilities I'd think at least $1500, possibly more. See if there is anything comparable on vrbo.com or other such vacation rental sites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting