Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2012, 02:04 PM

60 posts, read 289,639 times

Advertisements

Here's the situation...my lease on my apartment ends on the 31st. It's an individual lease in a 3x3 furnished apartment. I've been having a hard time finding a new place, but I found a girl in my current complex looking to sublease. So I decided that would work.

Now, the complex is telling me I have to pay a lease transfer fee of $200. I still have to move out of my apartment and can't move into hers for two weeks (complex said). They said technically I'm renewing my lease...I don't see how that is when I'm taking over her lease, paying her higher rent, and having to move all the way out of the complex for half a month. Anyone ever heard of this?

The way I see it, I have to go through everything a new tenant would and that's how I'm being treated. Except since I'm a previous tenant, I'm getting charged a fee.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2012, 03:36 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,550,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teincilove View Post
Here's the situation...my lease on my apartment ends on the 31st. It's an individual lease in a 3x3 furnished apartment. I've been having a hard time finding a new place, but I found a girl in my current complex looking to sublease. So I decided that would work.

Now, the complex is telling me I have to pay a lease transfer fee of $200. I still have to move out of my apartment and can't move into hers for two weeks (complex said). They said technically I'm renewing my lease...I don't see how that is when I'm taking over her lease, paying her higher rent, and having to move all the way out of the complex for half a month. Anyone ever heard of this?

The way I see it, I have to go through everything a new tenant would and that's how I'm being treated. Except since I'm a previous tenant, I'm getting charged a fee.

You're right, this isn't a transfer if your lease ends, although you'll remain in the complex. I don't see how this charge could be legal.

Laws on subleasing vary from state to state. I couldn't help you out by googling your states landlord/tenant laws, but I suggest you do to determine how subleasing and subsequent charges are handled. As a renter, you should become familiar with state laws and interpret a lease.

This I can tell you..... If you're signing a new lease with the complex, you're not subleasing.

Old 07-28-2012, 03:40 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,945,062 times
Quote:
So I decided that would work.
And if you were the one making the decision... all would be right with your world.

Quote:
the complex is telling me I have to pay a lease transfer fee...
Anyone ever heard of this?
It's a way for the property managers office to recoup the cost of pushing the paper
and doing the inspections and of course make a few dollars extra on top.

I don't like it either.
I agree that this and few other of their practices are petty or wrongheaded.

Feel better?

You *are* closing out on your old place right?
So that is one transaction and then you're taking up with this other person which is another.
Have you discussed how they're doing the inspection and damages on the old unit?

Old 07-28-2012, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
And if you were the one making the decision... all would be right with your world.

It's a way for the property managers office to recoup the cost of pushing the paper
and doing the inspections and of course make a few dollars extra on top.

I don't like it either.
I agree that this and few other of their practices are petty or wrongheaded.

Feel better?

You *are* closing out on your old place right?
So that is one transaction and then you're taking up with this other person which is another.
Have you discussed how they're doing the inspection and damages on the old unit?
FYI...Subleasing is defined by state, nor is subleasing legal in each state. You have no way of knowing if legal to charge for paper pushing without that information.

Old 07-28-2012, 03:56 PM

To the OP,

Illegal charges can be reported to you states Attorney Generals office without repercussions.

Old 07-28-2012, 04:07 PM

All I'm seeing here (aside from how crude they are) is PMC staff
being described as using poor phrasing to a tenant.

You've seen it 100 times... staff uses a short hand term, tenant looks quizzical, then staff
"helps" by using an entirely different phrase rather than just explaining what they are doing.

Tenant leaves thinking they really meant "technically I'm renewing my lease"
when everyone knows the new unit is getting fresh paper whoever used to live there.

I'm absolutely confident that whatever the legalities call for the PMC will do...
including any scummy fees for efforts that are part of their core job.

Old 07-28-2012, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
All I'm seeing here (aside from how crude they are) is PMC staff
being described as using poor phrasing to a tenant.

You've seen it 100 times... staff uses a short hand term, tenant looks quizzical, then staff
"helps" by using an entirely different phrase rather than just explaining what they are doing.

Tenant leaves thinking they really meant "technically I'm renewing my lease"
when everyone knows the new unit is getting fresh paper whoever used to live there.

I'm absolutely confident that whatever the legalities call for the PMC will do...
including any scummy fees for efforts that are part of their core job.
Thats a lot of assumptions from the information provided by the OP. Conjecture isn't fact.

Old 07-28-2012, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Thats a lot of assumptions from the information provided by the OP. Conjecture isn't fact.
and maybe the OP will return and fill in the blanks.

Until then we're left to work with what is described...
and try to make sense of that vs what should be happening.

I'll stick.

Old 07-28-2012, 06:17 PM

60 posts, read 289,639 times
Alright...I'll fill in what I can. My current lease ends on the 31st. And that time I have to be moved out, keys turned in, apartment cleaned. If all is well, my deposit will be returned to me. the other girl's lease starts in 2 weeks, and the complex has told me I cannot move in before that day. That's the official move in day ( this is a college focused community). The other girl will have to pay a $200 fee to transfer her lease to me. I'm signing that new lease, for a different unit, at a different rate. I couldn't renew my lease, the deadline passed and they have assigned my room to another applicant.

However, they told me I'm technically renewing and transferring. That's just not the case. They're acting as if I renewed and asked for a different unit.

Old 07-28-2012, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Alright...I'll fill in what I can. My current lease ends on the 31st. And that time I have to be moved out, keys turned in, apartment cleaned. If all is well, my deposit will be returned to me. the other girl's lease starts in 2 weeks, and the complex has told me I cannot move in before that day. That's the official move in day ( this is a college focused community). The other girl will have to pay a $200 fee to transfer her lease to me. I'm signing that new lease, for a different unit, at a different rate. I couldn't renew my lease, the deadline passed and they have assigned my room to another applicant.

However, they told me I'm technically renewing and transferring. That's just not the case. They're acting as if I renewed and asked for a different unit.
They're hoping you know nothing about leases and state law and pay the $200.

Names can be added to an existing lease, or from the lease when there are multiple names on an existing lease, with managements approval, however, leases are not transfered from one person to another.

Your lease ended, shes transfering to you're available unit, under a new lease and rental amount. Her security deposit stays in escrow until she terminates the lease. Thats the way its done or should be done. It may be perfectly legal to charge her a transfer fee, but I can't say with certainty.

Who are you subleasing from, the complex, or the girl? I still can't answer the question of charges, or subleasing laws, without knowing the LL/T for the state.

I'll add to this further....Technically, if your subleasing, she (the girl) is the lease holder on 2 rentals, and of course, that is legal.

Last edited by virgode; 07-28-2012 at 09:44 PM.. Reason: edited with additional clarifying info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting